The Student Room Group

History a level the British empire 21st May 2019

Anyone else really stressing about this exam?.
Reply 1
Please let's make this a really great and super useful thread. Everyone with any useful tips on essay writing, last minute revision, or just general tips on this exam, as well as any great resources, links to useful websites and any predictions please share.

Thankss :smile:
Reply 2
I am also sitting this exam and I am really nervous. Its dangerous to talk about predictions and so on when there has only been two papers to look at but they're going to fill the gaps at some point e.g. there has not been much on Key Question 3 (economics) and the year 12 time period (1857-1914). I have been revising by looking at practice exam questions from the AQA textbook and making flash cards / mind maps. It is a breadth paper so you don't need to go in to much detail unlike component 2 which requires detail.
Good luck!
Reply 3
Yes you're right it's very difficult to know what might come up and it's especially annoying because there's so much to revise since it's such a broad course and in the end a large amount of it won't even come up. Your revision technique sounds really good, wish I had done that but I think it's too late now - I have done a few essay plans but I generally find it difficult to narrow down all the information to just a few strong points, and my essays become too waffly which makes my argument weaker. I'm hoping we'll get nice questions on the early period because that's literally the only bit I properly know!
Original post by Isman
I am also sitting this exam and I am really nervous. Its dangerous to talk about predictions and so on when there has only been two papers to look at but they're going to fill the gaps at some point e.g. there has not been much on Key Question 3 (economics) and the year 12 time period (1857-1914). I have been revising by looking at practice exam questions from the AQA textbook and making flash cards / mind maps. It is a breadth paper so you don't need to go in to much detail unlike component 2 which requires detail.
Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by ###:)))
Please let's make this a really great and super useful thread. Everyone with any useful tips on essay writing, last minute revision, or just general tips on this exam, as well as any great resources, links to useful websites and any predictions please share.

Thankss :smile:

Also, does anyone know a good website (other than the AQA website) with lots of essay question examples and possibly example answers/model answers?
Original post by ###:)))
Yes you're right it's very difficult to know what might come up and it's especially annoying because there's so much to revise since it's such a broad course and in the end a large amount of it won't even come up. Your revision technique sounds really good, wish I had done that but I think it's too late now - I have done a few essay plans but I generally find it difficult to narrow down all the information to just a few strong points, and my essays become too waffly which makes my argument weaker. I'm hoping we'll get nice questions on the early period because that's literally the only bit I properly know!

Is it just me that left it way too late?? I’ve been cramming it all for the past 4 days and it’s not looking good 😂
Seneca learning is good for a quick recap over topics to test yourself
Reply 7
Good luck guys!
How did people find it?
Reply 9
The extracts were okay. I picked the question on Southern Africa people and wrote about Egypt and Sudan which is North Africa , I talked about Disraeli and Gladstone has different ideologies on imperialism which led to inconsistency and the influence of European powers e.g Brussels and Belgium conferences 🤦*♂️. I picked the economic relations questions and wrote about India, Middle East and Africa.
What questions did you guys pick?
Reply 10
Okay, I can't lie it was pretty hard. Also if anyone can answer this, but in my third factor, on 'colonial administers benefiting people in Britain or those who are ruled' - I used the wrong Colonial Administrator, but the stuff I wrote was really good. It included dates judgement and wider context. An answer and some reassurance would be helpful!
Original post by Joanne2001
How did people find it?
Original post by Isman
The extracts were okay. I picked the question on Southern Africa people and wrote about Egypt and Sudan which is North Africa , I talked about Disraeli and Gladstone has different ideologies on imperialism which led to inconsistency and the influence of European powers e.g Brussels and Belgium conferences 🤦*♂️. I picked the economic relations questions and wrote about India, Middle East and Africa.
What questions did you guys pick?

Yeah I didn’t mind the extracts, the essays were absolutely disgusting, can’t believe India didn’t come up!! I did the question on South Africa and the economics one, but I only wrote half of the essay on economics and didn’t even put any stats in, did terrible
Reply 12
Guys on the colonial administrators question, I accidentally used the wrong Colonial Administrator on a factor, but the information I used was really good as I used dates and wider context. Can I get some reassurance? XD

Planning to smash this Cold War exam - feeling motivating for it. Lets gooo!
Reply 13
Original post by Asad_OG
Guys on the colonial administrators question, I accidentally used the wrong Colonial Administrator on a factor, but the information I used was really good as I used dates and wider context. Can I get some reassurance? XD

Sorry I didn’t choose the colonial administrators question.
which colonial administrator did you use? Any in the period 1890-1914 were fine
Original post by Asad_OG

If it was a colonial administrator from that period then you will get the marks, if it’s from before or after then you probably won’t get many marks for it, if any
Original post by Joanne2001
Yeah I didn’t mind the extracts, the essays were absolutely disgusting, can’t believe India didn’t come up!! I did the question on South Africa and the economics one, but I only wrote half of the essay on economics and didn’t even put any stats in, did terrible

what were the extracts on? thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending