I want a simple muscle/strength building programme, what other exercises do I need? Watch

inthedark1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Id like a strength training routine to build a bit of muscle and increase strength (to help with indoor bouldering..I go 1 - 2 times per week) but I want a routine where I won't develop muscle imbalances, I don't really trust myself in creating this.

I know that these are the exercises I definitely want to include (as I prefer body weight exercises) - pull ups, press ups (I've bought a weight vest for when I'm ready to progress) and squats.

What other exercises do I need to include?
inthedark1
Rep:
?
anyone? Is there a good youtube video which explains strength training for beginners (which consists of how to avoid muscle imabalances?)

Ive looked it up I know there are different muscle groups i.e. the pushing group ( chest/triceps) and the pulling group (back/lat doss/trapezius) and biceps. So if I get exercises which work both these muscle groups into each session will I be ok? What about training overhead i.e. overhead lifts what are the benefits of this, is this another muscle group?
Sharmarko
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
AthleanX is the only youtube fitness channel you need.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe0...QbE-MjuHXevj2A
Kyri
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sounds like you're looking for some kind of calisthenics program. I don't have any specific recommendations but I'm sure you could find these online.

I've done some bouldering myself and as well as those exercises you've mentioned, you should include dips too as you sometimes need that kind of pressing movement when pushing yourself up between two holds on a corner.

As for your question about overhead pressing, this works mostly shoulders (deltoids) and triceps. You're not really lifting anything overhead when bouldering but as you said you want a complete physique without imbalances so you should still do them.
inthedark1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kyri)
Sounds like you're looking for some kind of calisthenics program. I don't have any specific recommendations but I'm sure you could find these online.

I've done some bouldering myself and as well as those exercises you've mentioned, you should include dips too as you sometimes need that kind of pressing movement when pushing yourself up between two holds on a corner.

As for your question about overhead pressing, this works mostly shoulders (deltoids) and triceps. You're not really lifting anything overhead when bouldering but as you said you want a complete physique without imbalances so you should still do them.
Thanks, am I on the right lines with the muscle groups then? There are only 2 main groups for upper body aren't there the pushing and pulling muscles? Im trying to learn and understand as well.

As for bouldering yea how long did you do it for? I'm fairly new to it today I realised how much of a disadvantage it is being short (I'm only 5ft), what is a strenuous technical climb for me was simply a reach of the hand for the 5ft 7 woman lol. Im wondering if some routes are simply impossible for someone of my height.
Kyri
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by inthedark1)
Thanks, am I on the right lines with the muscle groups then? There are only 2 main groups for upper body aren't there the pushing and pulling muscles? Im trying to learn and understand as well.

As for bouldering yea how long did you do it for? I'm fairly new to it today I realised how much of a disadvantage it is being short (I'm only 5ft), what is a strenuous technical climb for me was simply a reach of the hand for the 5ft 7 woman lol. Im wondering if some routes are simply impossible for someone of my height.
Yeah, you've listed the prime movers but just train the whole body and then you know you've not missed anything. Don't underestimate the importance of legs in helping you climb as it sounds like you're focused a lot on upper body. Grip strength is pretty important too but that will get stronger just from bouldering really. You probably felt your forearms burning like hell more than anything else after your first session. Grip strength naturally gets hit hard.

I was never really serious into bouldering to be honest but some of my friends are so I've been going with them occasionally for the last few years. Being tall really is an advantage due to reach but i still see short women climb routes where i could have sworn it wouldn't be possible!
inthedark1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kyri)
Yeah, you've listed the prime movers but just train the whole body and then you know you've not missed anything. Don't underestimate the importance of legs in helping you climb as it sounds like you're focused a lot on upper body. Grip strength is pretty important too but that will get stronger just from bouldering really. You probably felt your forearms burning like hell more than anything else after your first session. Grip strength naturally gets hit hard.

I was never really serious into bouldering to be honest but some of my friends are so I've been going with them occasionally for the last few years. Being tall really is an advantage due to reach but i still see short women climb routes where i could have sworn it wouldn't be possible!
Yea Im going to include squats maybe once a week but I sprint and run 5 times per week too (so my legs are almost always recovering) so since bouldering will work legs too I don't want to overload my legs. Don't know why I didn't mention running in my op lol but this is why I'm more focused on upper body.
rbew10
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Stick to compound exercises which work several muscle groups at the same time. Deadlifts, squats and rows are a good place to start. Also focus on a lot of core exercises as that is where most of the strength for physical activities is derived
inthedark1
Rep:
?
(Original post by rbew10)
Stick to compound exercises which work several muscle groups at the same time. Deadlifts, squats and rows are a good place to start. Also focus on a lot of core exercises as that is where most of the strength for physical activities is derived
I thought compound exercises work several muscles ...but I didn't know they dominantly worked both pushing and pulling muscle groups. For example bench press is compound but it works the pushing/chest muscles. Deadlifts - works the leg group (hamstrings/glutes) and hm back/the pulling group I guess (so 2 muscle groups?)... Im just trying to understand.
Last edited by inthedark1; 1 month ago
rbew10
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah you're right.. but for example with the bench press you're also working the triceps which help with the push, the core, as well as a bit of tension on the leg muscles. Deadlifts are also the same but will work a lot on the back and leg muscles (hamstrings, quads, calves) and improve your overall strength if you use the correct form

(Original post by inthedark1)
I thought compound exercises work several muscles ...but I didn't know they dominantly worked both pushing and pulling muscle groups. For example bench press is compound but it works the pushing/chest muscles. Deadlifts - works the leg group (hamstrings/glutes) and hm back/the pulling group I guess (so 2 muscle groups?)... Im just trying to understand.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (36)
24.66%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (51)
34.93%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (25)
17.12%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (11)
7.53%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (23)
15.75%

Watched Threads