Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 24yogall)
My current average is 64.4
I need the following grades to scrape a first:
Do you think i can do it?
What kind of course are you doing? Is it more a humanities/social sciences one, or STEM type?
24yogall
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
nope from semester 1 of this year
(Original post by claireestelle)
is the 64.4 from second year if so it seems possible
24yogall
Rep:
?
social sciences...
(Original post by gutenberg)
What kind of course are you doing? Is it more a humanities/social sciences one, or STEM type?
hallamstudents
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
HEy, this is defo doable if your willing to put as much work in as you can!! Just stay motivated and make sure you ask questions and attend everything as well!
Sophia
gutenberg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You'll need to absolutely kill yourself if you want to do it. If you've been averaging in the mid-60s so far, what do you plan to do differently in order to achieve the very high firsts you need, particularly the 80 and the 85? From my perspective in the humanities, achieving marks in the 80s is very difficult. I appreciate social sciences are different, and even between social sciences there are differences, but you really need to think not just about working harder, but also how you plan to work better in order to achieve these kinds of marks.
24yogall
Rep:
?
Good question, the module I want to get 85 in is quite creative. I’m hoping to get 80 on my diss(if possible) my supervisor said it’s quite good. What can I do better to get firsts, please help. The highest mark I’ve ever got was 75
(Original post by gutenberg)
You'll need to absolutely kill yourself if you want to do it. If you've been averaging in the mid-60s so far, what do you plan to do differently in order to achieve the very high firsts you need, particularly the 80 and the 85? From my perspective in the humanities, achieving marks in the 80s is very difficult. I appreciate social sciences are different, and even between social sciences there are differences, but you really need to think not just about working harder, but also how you plan to work better in order to achieve these kinds of marks.
ChangeOurWorld
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Depends what you're studying!! Seems impossible if you're a humanities/social science student, definitly possible if you're doing a quanitative subject!

Also completly depends what university you attend and what department you're in!
24yogall
Rep:
?
Thank you
(Original post by hallamstudents)
HEy, this is defo doable if your willing to put as much work in as you can!! Just stay motivated and make sure you ask questions and attend everything as well!
Sophia
24yogall
Rep:
?
I’m a social science student
(Original post by ChangeOurWorld)
Depends what you're studying!! Seems impossible if you're a humanities/social science student, definitly possible if you're doing a quanitative subject!

Also completly depends what university you attend and what department you're in!
Acsel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you've worked these out correctly, then they're all perfectly doable grades. However realistically speaking, there's going to be a reason why you've achieved an average of 64.4% (presumably these are percentages). The grades you need are between 10% and 20% higher, and whether you can do it or not depends entirely on whether you can resolve whatever issues have led to a 64.4% average instead of a 70%+ average.

But in terms of actually giving advice, we don't know enough to give personalised help. You need to look at what you're doing right and what you're doing wrong. Then do less of the stuff you're doing wrong, and more of the stuff you're doing right. Maybe you're not developing your work enough, or not referencing well, or the presentation of your work is lacking. We really don't know, so it's up to you to determine where you are dropping marks.
24yogall
Rep:
?
I think the main reasons why I stay in the 2:1s is because sometimes I’m not critical enough and don’t develop points further.
(Original post by Acsel)
If you've worked these out correctly, then they're all perfectly doable grades. However realistically speaking, there's going to be a reason why you've achieved an average of 64.4% (presumably these are percentages). The grades you need are between 10% and 20% higher, and whether you can do it or not depends entirely on whether you can resolve whatever issues have led to a 64.4% average instead of a 70%+ average.

But in terms of actually giving advice, we don't know enough to give personalised help. You need to look at what you're doing right and what you're doing wrong. Then do less of the stuff you're doing wrong, and more of the stuff you're doing right. Maybe you're not developing your work enough, or not referencing well, or the presentation of your work is lacking. We really don't know, so it's up to you to determine where you are dropping marks.
ChangeOurWorld
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh wow! At my university, it would be basically impossible to score over 75 on an essay paper, even in more quant-like things like some aspects of political science! 80 is basically unheard of and doesn't exist in assessed work. Good luck to you

I really wish I could have your grades!
I’m a social science student
Acsel
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think the main reasons why I stay in the 2:1s is because sometimes I’m not critical enough and don’t develop points further.
Then you more or less have an answer. If you can fix this (and it is what's holding you back) then you may be able to get those grades. If you can't, and don't do anything else to improve, then you probably won't.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's possible. I was hitting mid 80s throughout 3rd year on a phil degree, but I was already hitting 70s in second year, and I expect that is where the difference is. It is possible, but it will be a big ask to bump your grades up by (in some cases) 20% or so. The usual advice is have an argument, don't waffle, interrogate points fully, and if that means cutting down the number of things you address, then so be it. Quality over quantity.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.31%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (102)
35.05%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (62)
21.31%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.62%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.71%

Watched Threads