undergraduate dissertation help Watch

itsokamix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So, second year exams have finished and I am now faced with the dilemma of coming up with my dissertation idea for 3rd year. Problem is... I've been looking around a bit at journals and such and I've come to the conclusion that I want my dissertation to be in the broad categories of either clinical, forensic or health psychology as they are my main areas of interest (perhaps looking at EWT for forensic or chronic pain for health)

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how I can come up with a definitive topic/idea or perhaps even give me some topic ideas that I could research further?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
itsokamix
Rep:
?
bump
Pombear84
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would start with spider diagramming areas you find interesting. Or look for a gap in research you like and aim to fill that gap
marinade
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What I would do is you have named three areas.

Spend 3 hours, this can be in more than one sitting coming up with ideas for six dissertations for each of clinical, forensic and health. It doesn't matter if the titles are half baked or vague ideas. Anything worth doing is worth doing badly the first time. It might be that you think up twenty titles/areas for each topic and then pick six out for each, I don't know.

You have your list of 18. Then spend up to one hour each (18) in different sittings looking up papers, possible books, news articles quickly absorb the ideas and then try and make a title that makes more sense and five objectives. You could structure this 45 mins on the first bit and then last fifteen minutes write down five objectives of the research. Again it doesn't have to be perfect.

The first time you do this might be quite hard and get the urge to scream. Keep at it.

If you do it for 18 topics you will have the satisfaction and confidence that you have achieved something concrete in that you've looked at so many different areas. If you don't do all 18 (I would) then fair enough or you might find it speeds up (say half an hour each) or spend longer on the remaining ones say 2 hours x 9.

After you have your list of 3 x 18, have a break for a couple of days at least, then sit down for a couple of hours somewhere quiet, re-read bits, see how it sounds, re-write and then prune out the weakest. Get the 18 down to 3 x 4. Leave it a couple of days, sit down again, do the same thing but decide which 2 out of 3 areas you're going to do and try and reduce it to 2 areas x 3 titles. By now you should have a more reasonable idea to make an informed choice.

When writing out objectives think about what is the current area of research, is this manageable, what future research can be done etc.
Last edited by marinade; 1 month ago
itsokamix
Rep:
?
(Original post by marinade)
What I would do is you have named three areas.

Spend 3 hours, this can be in more than one sitting coming up with ideas for six dissertations for each of clinical, forensic and health. It doesn't matter if the titles are half baked or vague ideas. Anything worth doing is worth doing badly the first time. It might be that you think up twenty titles/areas for each topic and then pick six out for each, I don't know.

You have your list of 18. Then spend up to one hour each (18) in different sittings looking up papers, possible books, news articles quickly absorb the ideas and then try and make a title that makes more sense and five objectives. You could structure this 45 mins on the first bit and then last fifteen minutes write down five objectives of the research. Again it doesn't have to be perfect.

The first time you do this might be quite hard and get the urge to scream. Keep at it.

If you do it for 18 topics you will have the satisfaction and confidence that you have achieved something concrete in that you've looked at so many different areas. If you don't do all 18 (I would) then fair enough or you might find it speeds up (say half an hour each) or spend longer on the remaining ones say 2 hours x 9.

After you have your list of 3 x 18, have a break for a couple of days at least, then sit down for a couple of hours somewhere quiet, re-read bits, see how it sounds, re-write and then prune out the weakest. Get the 18 down to 3 x 4. Leave it a couple of days, sit down again, do the same thing but decide which 2 out of 3 areas you're going to do and try and reduce it to 2 areas x 3 titles. By now you should have a more reasonable idea to make an informed choice.

When writing out objectives think about what is the current area of research, is this manageable, what future research can be done etc.
Interesting! I'll definitely give it a go, hopefully I'll find something I'm interested in, got til the 1st June to submit my proposal so the race is on to get it done!

Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.31%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (102)
35.05%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (62)
21.31%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.62%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.71%

Watched Threads