How do you read questions in a careful manner?

Watch this thread
Batman2k1
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
When i read a physics question,
i realise when i answer, i am not answering precisely.
The question asks Explain HOW the experiment of electrons show wave properties.
Answer would be diffraction of electrons and electrons diffract in graphite crystals etc...

What i do instead is, the how part of the question, i glance over and start saying why that happens, unneccesary detail; like
it diffracts because it shows interferences patterns where waves are in phase.

But the mark scheme is so peculiar. Because, i'm afraid that i am not covering all the points so i overcompensate.

But mark scheme, gives the smallest insignificant point a mark, just stating, this shows wave properties (1)

How do you approach it in the right way?
pibobelebeep
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
I personally like to underline the whole question lightly in pencil, or at least follow the sentence with the tip of a pen/pencil while I read it, that way I know I'm going through the whole thing. I remember this was a big problem for me in biology papers so I made it a habit to quickly reread the question halfway through the answer (not the whole thing just the 'what you need to write' part) so even if I went off topic I still have space to get back. And like you said you missed the 'how', or basically forgot that was what you were meant to answer, what I do it put a dark line/box/ring/etc. in pencil around those types of words so I make sure I don't miss it.

When it comes to the answers themselves, honestly the best thing is to do as many papers as possible. That way you get used to the mark scheme so you will know what answer they want for what question despite slight variations.

Also in physics, maybe it might help you, I used to circle units, because sometimes I forget the units and then forget to convert.

And don't worry about writing extra information, just make sure you don't focus on the extra information so much you forget the question itself (I've done that lost, fixed it by doing the stuff I said above)
Batman2k1
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
great advice thanks. I think i just read the question, and possibly reread it again halfway from the start, then start again

then just underline either explain/describe and the how/why/suggest

hmm i guess suggest means a reason..

yeah matter of programming myself to get the ms answer in my head - wish it was quick... maybe reciting the ms like a bible could do it, or try to recall it.

because physics not an english essay. I try not to worry about extra info - so i guess you say, be ruthless and move on and accept i may lose marks if extra info not in, but that almost never happens because i talk about XY but q wants X only.??
(Original post by pibobelebeep)
I personally like to underline the whole question lightly in pencil, or at least follow the sentence with the tip of a pen/pencil while I read it, that way I know I'm going through the whole thing. I remember this was a big problem for me in biology papers so I made it a habit to quickly reread the question halfway through the answer (not the whole thing just the 'what you need to write' part) so even if I went off topic I still have space to get back. And like you said you missed the 'how', or basically forgot that was what you were meant to answer, what I do it put a dark line/box/ring/etc. in pencil around those types of words so I make sure I don't miss it.

When it comes to the answers themselves, honestly the best thing is to do as many papers as possible. That way you get used to the mark scheme so you will know what answer they want for what question despite slight variations.

Also in physics, maybe it might help you, I used to circle units, because sometimes I forget the units and then forget to convert.

And don't worry about writing extra information, just make sure you don't focus on the extra information so much you forget the question itself (I've done that lost, fixed it by doing the stuff I said above)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (21)
31.82%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (25)
37.88%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.03%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
4.55%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.06%
I’m starting to consider my university options (9)
13.64%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.52%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.52%

Watched Threads