The Student Room Group

Does an X grade (not turning up for the exam) count as an attempt?

Hi all,

I didn't turn up to one of my A level exams last year. I didn't inform the college that I was going to be absent, thus I would have received an X grade (I assume though I don't actually remember getting the grade last summer in my results).

I have the same exam next week, does an X grade count as an attempt? In that this is my final attempt at it?
Anyone?

I'm happy to contact my exam board if I don't get a response here.
Reply 2
What qualification is it? In England you can take A levels as often as you want.
I believe an X grade means you have attempted some exams but not enough to give you a proper grade(as opposed to a U grade means a total no-show). You can probably retake the modules though.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Compost
What qualification is it? In England you can take A levels as often as you want.

No but you're only allowed one resit attempt per module (otherwise you would have to start the whole a-level all over again).
Original post by LegitDragoNinja
I believe an X grade means disqualification (U grade means a no-show), but I could be wrong.

So is this my final attempt (its a CCEA Physics A21/A22 modules I'm sitting this week), as I say we know attempts are capped at one resit each, I want to know whether this is officially my first attempt or not.

I'll contact the exam board in any case but just curious to see if anyone off hand knows here.
(edited 4 years ago)
I think I may have found my answer. My exam board (CCEA) states this:

5. Frequently Asked Questions

What if the student is absent?

It is the result of, not the entry for, an assessment unit that counts. A student who
enters for a unit but is absent from the examination has not used up one of his/her two
possible attempts. However, if a cash-in is requested, absence from an assessment unit
will be treated as a result of zero marks for that unit to enable the award of a grade.

http://ccea.org.uk/sites/default/files/docs/qualifications/circulars/gce/2015/s_if_22_15_circ.pdf (page 5)

I think therefore this is my first attempt? I did withdraw my A2 cash in a few days after telling my college to withdraw the cash in since I missed the exam and there was no point in having it.

Quick Reply

Latest