AQA GCSE Maths Timing Watch

Englandvines
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
On Tuesday I’m sitting my first GCSE maths exam.
Personally I have a really big problem with timing, I’m not bad at maths necessarily but I never get to finish the questions or I just finish on time without getting time to check my answers.
Does anyone know any tips on how to work quicker/efficiently and a way to maximise my marks.
Thanks any replies will be greatly appreciated.
RazzzBerries
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
- Start from the back. They carry the most marks.
- If you find yourself being unable to complete a question for over a minute, move on and come back to it at the end.
- Attempt EVERYTHING. You may be able to get some method marks, even if your final answer is wrong.
- Keep a watch on your desk so you don't have to look up at the clock and lose time.
Englandvines
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Ok thank you so much for your reply and I’ll definitely take Ito consideration your tips.
(Original post by RazzzBerries)
- Start from the back. They carry the most marks.
- If you find yourself being unable to complete a question for over a minute, move on and come back to it at the end.
- Attempt EVERYTHING. You may be able to get some method marks, even if your final answer is wrong.
- Keep a watch on your desk so you don't have to look up at the clock and lose time.
OllyDaws
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Englandvines)
Ok thank you so much for your reply and I’ll definitely take Ito consideration your tips.
i wouldn't start from the back personally, marks at the start carry the same weight as the ones at the back, unless your quick and find them really easy go ahead, but you can easily spend too much time on a hard question and not notice that you have use a lot of time on that 1 question
The.One.And.Only
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I did this and got a 9:
Go through it as fast and accurate as you can, doing all the easy ones you know you can do fairly quickly, then go back and go through it again, doing all the ones you have an idea about but might take a bit longer, then go back and do the ones you have no clue about etc. Basically comb through it until you've done all the questions. That way you ensure you've done all the ones you are sure about and have more time to focus on the more difficult ones.
Also do a load of practice questions using this technique to get used to the timing.
Good luck and you'll do great!
RazzzBerries
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by OllyDaws)
i wouldn't start from the back personally, marks at the start carry the same weight as the ones at the back, unless your quick and find them really easy go ahead, but you can easily spend too much time on a hard question and not notice that you have use a lot of time on that 1 question
The idea of starting at the back is to make you feel easier as you go along, though I agree that too much time shouldn’t be spent. A mark a minute.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (284)
15.2%
The paper was reasonable (1037)
55.51%
Not feeling great about that exam... (404)
21.63%
It was TERRIBLE (143)
7.66%

Watched Threads