Choosing a university that’s away from home Watch

Themysticalegg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nooo you're lovely.
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
On the other hand, maybe I am annoying, and should leave TSR. Sometimes wonder what I’m doing here in this crazy parallel 🌍 world 😢😢😢😢😢
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Prsom egg , smiling back gets results, obvs
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
On the other hand, maybe I am annoying, and should leave TSR. Sometimes wonder what I’m doing here in this crazy parallel 🌍 world 😢😢😢😢😢
No, no. I was only joking. You're a real charm and we're lucky to have you on here -- sharing your odd and wonderful tales.
Oxford Brookes University
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by emilou232)
I really love the idea of moving away to a university further away from home, not only for the independence but the growth I could accomplish in learning new ways to survive, ways to make friends, focus on things I believe and love and basically start an almost fresh life.

I know I may sound a tad optimistic as I’m only in my first year of a-levels, but I just wanted to see if anyone could give advice on how you know which uni is perfect for you, what type of distance is perfect and how people cope with the pressure of student debt and the desperation to get a job somewhere completely different to help aid yourself with food and basic spending money each month?

Please drop your advice below as I’m sure others may be in the exact same boat as me and may need just as much help as I do, or even more.

Thank you x
Hey!

I am a current student at Oxford Brookes University, and moved away from home to study here. It is a great idea to move away, live in a different city and make new friends! Most of my friends from university have moved away from home to study, so we were all in the same boat! Your first year of A-levels is the best time to start looking.

To start with try to decide on a course, and start looking at the course structure, assessment styles and also life in the city or town. Something that drew me to Oxford Brookes was the amount of societies and sports they offered, its a great way to make friends. Try to visit a few open days, our next one is on the 29th June (https://www.brookes.ac.uk/open-day/) as these will give you a feel for the place.

I hope that is helpful, good luck with your search! University is a lot of fun, I have had the best three years!!

Issy
emilou232
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Oxford Brookes University)
Hey!

I am a current student at Oxford Brookes University, and moved away from home to study here. It is a great idea to move away, live in a different city and make new friends! Most of my friends from university have moved away from home to study, so we were all in the same boat! Your first year of A-levels is the best time to start looking.

To start with try to decide on a course, and start looking at the course structure, assessment styles and also life in the city or town. Something that drew me to Oxford Brookes was the amount of societies and sports they offered, its a great way to make friends. Try to visit a few open days, our next one is on the 29th June (https://www.brookes.ac.uk/open-day/) as these will give you a feel for the place.

I hope that is helpful, good luck with your search! University is a lot of fun, I have had the best three years!!

Issy
Funnily enough I actually looked at this university, but felt abit intimidated because it’s stereotypically for the more “posher and richer” students 😂
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don't be intimidated, they are human after all and I feel with universities they are ultimately so diverse that factor is irrelevant! My postgraduate university is stereotyped as ''posher and richer' also. :laugh:
Funnily enough I actually looked at this university, but felt abit intimidated because it’s stereotypically for the more “posher and richer” students 😂
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have heard of this stereotype but have found it not to be the case! It is a smaller university and I find it very welcoming- visit us on an open day and decide for yourself: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/open-day/
Please let me know if you have any other questions about Brookes, more than happy to answer them!

Issy
Xxtylerxx
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi,
I’m a 2nd year A-level student and honestly finding my “perfect” university was not easy. Since i was young I’ve always wanted to go to Leeds Beckett University and study mental health nursing. I was set on the idea of going there as I didn’t want to move away from home. However, in my open day for Leeds Beckett university my idea of what my future was going to be like broke due to how much i hated the campus and how the lecturer spoke about the course itself and how much stress it was going to be. At the time i was heart broken but in hindsight i see that it turned out for the best. Then started the hunt for my future. I always wanted to work with care in some way but now i was against the idea of working with people so i changed my view towards animals as i have worked with animals a lot in my life but not in a professional way. So i decided to start applying to veterinary nursing courses which only had an area near me which was York Arkham Bryan college. I was super excited until it said on the application form i needed “4 weeks veterinary practice experience” which meant i needed to work in a vets for a month which in big cities is nearly impossible. I spend 6 months trying to find experience, emailing back and forth to try and find experience and it didn’t happen. I applied for another course, “zoology” in 3 other universities; Manchester my choice after York, Sheffield my choice after Manchester and Liverpool john moores my last choice due to the distance. Liverpool accepts within the first week of my application and the others denied me. I then went on an application day to Liverpool to see what the university was like with low expectations. I was shocked. I loved every single aspect of the university; the city the campus and i loved the course itself!
So to take from my experience:
Attend as many open days as possible
Don’t be set on one area your whole life
Get as much work experience in as possible to make you stand out
And ensure you look at every option as you may be surprised.
I hope that helps you to look into the courses in more detail and help you decide on what to do! Good luck!
I really love the idea of moving away to a university further away from home, not only for the independence but the growth I could accomplish in learning new ways to survive, ways to make friends, focus on things I believe and love and basically start an almost fresh life.

I know I may sound a tad optimistic as I’m only in my first year of a-levels, but I just wanted to see if anyone could give advice on how you know which uni is perfect for you, what type of distance is perfect and how people cope with the pressure of student debt and the desperation to get a job somewhere completely different to help aid yourself with food and basic spending money each month?

Please drop your advice below as I’m sure others may be in the exact same boat as me and may need just as much help as I do, or even more.

Thank you x
Diceman11
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by bfm.mcdermott)
I have a similar question - if anyone could give advice:

I live in South-East England (close to London and Oxford) and want to move to Aberdeen for university. This is about 500 miles and will take 8 hours to drive or 10 hours on the train or 1.5 hours flying (plus airport time, etc.).

I love Aberdeen and the course, including teaching methods and modules, etc. and they do a special rural/remote option for my course, where I could live in the Scottish highlands for a year or two to study. So it's perfect for me really. But I'm worried the distance would be too much, mainly from a travelling perspective. Also the distance means I could definitely only see family and friends during holidays, not at any weekends...

Any advice? Has anyone else moved this far?
Make sure you get a 16-25 rail card! Even Aberdeen to Oxford can be done for around £55 one way with that if you pick the right advance ticket (up to the day before) which probably means you could pop home occasionally if you had to!
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey emiou232, I can completely understand where you're coming from and I think it is great that you are already thinking about university, it's like it is your goal to strive to get to university.

I am currently graduating at Oxford Brookes University in International Hospitality Management and it has been the best 4 years of my life, I'm glad that I had pushed myself to go to Univerity, I have made amazing friends and some great memories along the way.

I think it was so important for me to try and gain some independence away from home, I also did not want to stay at a university that was close to my home yes I could have saved money but to be exposed to the full university experience you need to come out of your comfort zone and get out there, this will go a long way not just in your professional life but also in your personal life.

I feel that a good 2 to 3 hours away from your home is a good start and this is where pushed myself to go to Oxford Brookes a great Univerity that had everything I wanted, modern studying facilities, a small student city with a great social aspect and a city that always has part-time jobs available for students, there are loads of things happening in Oxford.

As I said there are a load of opportunities for students to have part-time jobs whilst studying, for example, I have been working for a hotel 2 days a week as well as my student loan has helped me, but there are a load of other jobs available with the new Westgate shopping centre open and also a staffing company called At your service these are two possible opportunities to look into if you were to come to Oxford.

The is a load of support out there reading student living, budget and getting the most out of university.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Jordan
Student Ambassador

Thank you x
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Thank you x
I wanted to get far enough away from home so I could be independent. It meant I did not go home in term-time except once when my grandma was very ill. It was right for me.

My son went to a university about 20 miles away but did not stay at home - that decision was right for him as the course was perfect.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sorry Notoriety , I was having a mini meltdown. Often happens when I've been trolled/heavily criticized. In these instances, I seriously think about leaving and wonder whether I really am annoying people. When that happens I leave off TSR for a couple of days. Sometimes I'm replying to an Oxford applicant and thinking "what the hell am I doing? Is this useful, or is what I'm saying to this person utter tripe? Then I got in today and a lovely Japanese Oxford parent PM'd me and said she was so happy to hear about me because she couldn't find the answers to her questions online. It's people like that who make my presence on TSR worthwhile.

(Original post by Notoriety)
No, no. I was only joking. You're a real charm and we're lucky to have you on here -- sharing your odd and wonderful tales.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sorry Notoriety , I was having a mini meltdown. Often happens when I've been trolled/heavily criticized. In these instances, I seriously think about leaving and wonder whether I really am annoying people. When that happens I leave off TSR for a couple of days. Sometimes I'm replying to an Oxford applicant and thinking "what the hell am I doing? Is this useful, or is what I'm saying to this person utter tripe? Then I got in today and a lovely Japanese Oxford parent PM'd me and said she was so happy to hear about me because she couldn't find the answers to her questions online. It's people like that who make my presence on TSR worthwhile.
I didn't know you spoke Japanese!

I thought you knew I was joking. Apologies.
ForestShadow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Im on the other side of the UK to my fam , 8hr drive away but it turned out pretty well and I sure as hell learnt a lot really quickly haha
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ha ha, wish I could speak Japanese!! No, I get PMs from scores of people who want to get into Oxford (and sometimes their parents). They mostly want to know answers to random questions and I answer them to the best of my ability. Some have lots of questions and they're almost like penpals, coming back every day with more comments! Love it though.
(Original post by Notoriety)
I didn't know you spoke Japanese!

I thought you knew I was joking. Apologies.
Scotney
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Went to open day here and can honestly say friendliest staff and students I have come across. Also studentls seemed very happy with their courses.Earlier posters are right get to as many open days as you can to get a feel for the place.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes, open days are very important to get a feel of the place. Even better, if you can talk to some current students, as they will tell it like it is.
(Original post by Scotney)
Went to open day here and can honestly say friendliest staff and students I have come across. Also studentls seemed very happy with their courses.Earlier posters are right get to as many open days as you can to get a feel for the place.
chelseadagg3r
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I moved just over 100 miles away for uni.and it's felt like the perfect distance. I'm far enough away to fell separated and independent but if I need to I can afford to get home
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I lived 6 hours away from home, which I was initially hesitant about (as I'd experienced bad homesickness in the past), but with the removal of that option of fleeing home, I thrived in my new surroundings. It really helped me to become completely independent, so I would definitely encourage others to do the same.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I had to live in France for a year as part of my degree. Many of the students used to go home to their parents at the weekend. That's the best part!!! (ie the weekend, when all the parties/discos happened) you will have new friends, a new environment, and a new outlook on life at uni. it's good to embrace that.
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
I lived 6 hours away from home, which I was initially hesitant about (as I'd experienced bad homesickness in the past), but with the removal of that option of fleeing home, I thrived in my new surroundings. It really helped me to become completely independent, so I would definitely encourage others to do the same.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.75%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (99)
34.74%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (59)
20.7%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.82%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.98%

Watched Threads