Choosing a university that’s away from home Watch

Themysticalegg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would of loved that I really wanted to study at the University of Hong Kong or Nanyang University in Singapore but I took the boring option of working for a year in industry in the UK. :laugh:
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
I had to live in France for a year as part of my degree. Many of the students used to go home to their parents at the weekend. That's the best part!!! (ie the weekend, when all the parties/discos happened) you will have new friends, a new environment, and a new outlook on life at uni. it's good to embrace that.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Themysticalegg Oh goodness, I looooove Singapore! It's my fave country! When my ex husband was a medical student, he did his elective at Singapore General Hospital, and I came and joined him for a few weeks. I vowed right there and then I would take my children there if I had any. I did just that, and now they love it as much as me, especially my elder son.
(Original post by Themysticalegg)
I would of loved that I really wanted to study at the University of Hong Kong or Nanyang University in Singapore but I took the boring option of working for a year in industry in the UK. :laugh:
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I've never been it looks amazing! I'm so jealous of you and your kids! I'm considering treating myself to a tour of Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong and South Korea next year. Either that or I treat my mother to Japan! (Probably going to be the latter. :laugh) She has said many times since I got a job offer that she wants to go to Japan. :laugh:
Themysticalegg Oh goodness, I looooove Singapore! It's my fave country! When my ex husband was a medical student, he did his elective at Singapore General Hospital, and I came and joined him for a few weeks. I vowed right there and then I would take my children there if I had any. I did just that, and now they love it as much as me, especially my elder son.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Love it that you want to treat your mother to Japan. That's what mums are for.
I've never been it looks amazing! I'm so jealous of you and your kids! I'm considering treating myself to a tour of Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong and South Korea next year. Either that or I treat my mother to Japan! (Probably going to be the latter. :laugh) She has said many times since I got a job offer that she wants to go to Japan. :laugh:
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
My mum did manage to raise me as a single parent, gotta repay her somehow!
Love it that you want to treat your mother to Japan. That's what mums are for.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Good for you. It's so tough being a single parent, and even harder to raise children whilst hiding the stress you feel from them. One of the dragons in the dragon's den (I think Theo Paphitis) was brought up by a single mum. When he got rich and famous he bought her a villa in Cyprus. Just telling you this so you can write it down on a little list for when you hit the big time.

Hugs for your Mum, who brought you up so well :grouphugs:
My mum did manage to raise me as a single parent, gotta repay her somehow!
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Indeed, I was a really ill kid too and also a few times some bullies chased me with water balloons and stuff like that the joys of very early youth but she defended me. (Some kids are actually horrible) My mum actually cried the other month whilst I was talking to her and she was like I'm glad you turned out the way you did I can't expect more I was like awww. :cry: If I ever got that rich of course I would! Maybe I should have another crack at the banking industry... :hugs: Hugs for Oxford Mum also for bringing up your kids well
Good for you. It's so tough being a single parent, and even harder to raise children whilst hiding the stress you feel from them. One of the dragons in the dragon's den (I think Theo Paphitis) was brought up by a single mum. When he got rich and famous he bought her a villa in Cyprus. Just telling you this so you can write it down on a little list for when you hit the big time.

Hugs for your Mum, who brought you up so well :grouphugs:
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Chasing you with water balloons? How very dare they! I think I would get on with your Mum well.
Indeed, I was a really ill kid too and also a few times some bullies chased me with water balloons and stuff like that the joys of very early youth but she defended me. (Some kids are actually horrible) My mum actually cried the other month whilst I was talking to her and she was like I'm glad you turned out the way you did I can't expect more I was like awww. :cry: If I ever got that rich of course I would! Maybe I should have another crack at the banking industry... :hugs: Hugs for Oxford Mum also for bringing up your kids well
Oxford Brookes University
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey Scotney,

Thank you! I'm glad to hear that people are enjoying our open days and feel welcome here. I'm in my 2nd year at Brookes and most of the reason I chose to study here was down to how friendly the staff and other students were. If you ask the most student who works on the open day a lot of it is because when they were looking around other Unis it feels a bit awkward and intimidating and really helps to have friendly faces who were in the same situation not so long ago. We have our next open day on 29th June, top tip if you are there later in the day you might get some free sweets and chocolate...

(Original post by Scotney)
Went to open day here and can honestly say friendliest staff and students I have come across. Also studentls seemed very happy with their courses.Earlier posters are right get to as many open days as you can to get a feel for the place.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Oxford Brookes University all this makes me wish I was 18 again. I would apply to you in a heartbeat 💗
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Oxford Brookes University
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
There is no age limit to University! maybe we will see you here again one day ...

Oxford Brookes University all this makes me wish I was 18 again. I would apply to you in a heartbeat 💗
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Go on Oxford Mum you can do it!
(Original post by Oxford Brookes University)
There is no age limit to University! maybe we will see you here again one day ...
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I have recommended Oxford Brooke’s to several people. I love your campus and the fact that I can study in the place I love most in the world without all the pressure of the Oxford courses. I am a linguist who hates literature, so you get my point?
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Save some sweeties for me, Brooke’s xxx
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I love both I chose the wrong blooming degree! :rofl:
I have recommended Oxford Brooke’s to several people. I love your campus and the fact that I can study in the place I love most in the world without all the pressure of the Oxford courses. I am a linguist who hates literature, so you get my point?
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Join the club
Scotney
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Actually we were there so long we were being offered sandwiches!
(Original post by Oxford Brookes University)
Hey Scotney,

Thank you! I'm glad to hear that people are enjoying our open days and feel welcome here. I'm in my 2nd year at Brookes and most of the reason I chose to study here was down to how friendly the staff and other students were. If you ask the most student who works on the open day a lot of it is because when they were looking around other Unis it feels a bit awkward and intimidating and really helps to have friendly faces who were in the same situation not so long ago. We have our next open day on 29th June, top tip if you are there later in the day you might get some free sweets and chocolate...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.75%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (99)
34.74%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (59)
20.7%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.82%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.98%

Watched Threads