The Student Room Group

Why do black Jamaican families almost never home educate?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
People are individuals. They are unique. They each have different opinions and experiences of life. There are virtually infinite reasons why someone may choose to do something rather than something else. Of course, nurture (upbringing) and society can influence decisions.
I am in some of the demographics you mention in those posts. Nature (genetics) is a possible answer to certain things, but again, there can be so many factors.
Original post by Arran90
I'm not confident. Read post #12. Also post #13.
Original post by CHANELDIAMONDS
why do u care

what? why cant he? not a very helpful or useful comment you know.
@Arran90 they dont do it for two reasons:

institutional education has been pushed perhaps even forced, or equal rights regarding education have been fought for, since colonialism in their native country

society shoves "going to school and getting your education so you can get a good job" down your throat, particularly in coloured people's homes. as they are the least performing group, or one of them, they might feel without an institutional education and qualifications, that they will have even less of a chance to perform and survive in society, though black Brit's value of education seems quite low regardless. black kids probably also dont want to be stuck at home because they hate it there.
Original post by Bang Outta Order
what? why cant he? not a very helpful or useful comment you know.

i can say whatever i want, if you want to report it then pls go ahead :smile:
Original post by CHANELDIAMONDS
i can say whatever i want, if you want to report it then pls go ahead :smile:

nah im not petty. not yet.
Reply 45
Original post by Bang Outta Order
@Arran90 they dont do it for two reasons:

institutional education has been pushed perhaps even forced, or equal rights regarding education have been fought for, since colonialism in their native country

Please tell me a bit more about this one. I'm not very familiar with the history of education in Jamaica.

society shoves "going to school and getting your education so you can get a good job" down your throat

True...

particularly in coloured people's homes

...but how is it different for black Jamaicans compared to everybody else?

as they are the least performing group, or one of them, they might feel without an institutional education and qualifications, that they will have even less of a chance to perform and survive in society, though black Brit's value of education seems quite low regardless.

That's the paradox. The black Jamaicans overwhelmingly want to go to state schools but they badly underachieve academically.

black kids probably also dont want to be stuck at home because they hate it there.

Not even with game consoles and the internet?!
Reply 46
I have ran this issue past some figures from the home education community and let them read through the discussion. They all agreed that several questions remain either unanswered or not answered very well.

It was pointed out that it's probably a difficult area of research for the following reasons:

1. The home education communities don't have the answers because of an extreme shortage of black Jamaican home educating families.

2. Almost all of the formal research by government departments and academics into educational matters concerning black Jamaican children centres around school and the National Curriculum, and not home education.

3. If you were to ask black Jamaicans the question directly then it will probably result in them feeling bewildered or even offended. One person mentioned that the overwhelming decision of black Jamaican parents to send their children to state schools may be a subconscious decision or part of a pack mentality with very few parents questioning the rationale behind the decision themselves. Such a scenario has parallels between lower class white indigenous British folk in past decades who sent their children to secondary schools but was happy for them (or even preferred them) to leave at 15 with no qualifications rather than stay on an extra year and take O Level exams.
Reply 47
Truths wrote:

Now I think the fundamental reason why Asians, particularly Chinese/Indian/Pakistani has nothing to do with work ethic. They have an introverted economic ethic*. “Keeping it in the family”. Asian communities simply have greater solidarity. One reason is because unlike Christianity, Islam and Hinduism lay out very clear economic conventions. One of my classmates did not take out a tuition loan because loans with interest are against his faith, instead the mosque fundraised his tuition. The OP unwittingly touched on this when he said black people are more immersed in the British culture than Asians, and that’s kinda the point. Assimilation pays a price, black people are very trusting of whites, blacks pay into the system but are never paid back. Blacks pay into the system everytime they exchange money with white hands, marry interracially etc. These things happen on a virtually nonexistent scale in asian communities. They keep to themselves, they take the white pound and reinvest it into their own communities. They don’t marry interracially, even go as far as to marry their distant cousins to keep the concentration of wealth in their ethnic group. This is value that counts in combatting white supremacy, economic introversion.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=80077910&postcount=52

There is definitely some truth to this. Something that I have noticed is that in heavily south Asian populated areas of cities there is a stronger sense of a community than in heavily black Jamaican populated areas. The south Asian areas have their own shops, businesses, restaurants, leisure facilities, social support organisations etc. These amenities are distinctly lacking in black Jamaican areas which appear to be atomised and heavily dependent upon amenities owned by whites, other ethnic groups, or the public sector.

Black Jamaicans may indeed be more assimilated than south Asians are. A local council estate has white lower class folk and black Jamaican lower class folk who seem to happily get on with each other with no racism or hostility between them. They also intermarry or get into bed with one another judging from the number of mixed race youngsters. However, there are no south Asians or Muslims on the estate. I get the impression that such people would not be welcome on the estate and may even be hated and opposed more by the black Jamaicans than by the white British.

The assimilation certainly has paid a price as the black Jamaicans have failed to establish their own amenities and are solidly dependent upon 'mainstream' shops, council services, the DWP, loan sharks, and employers who are not from the same community as they are, as the white lower class folk on the estate are. I sense a type of deprivation that clearly does not exist in many of the heavily south Asian areas.

The situation extends to education as well. The south Asian communities have built up educational amenities for children tutoring services, supplementary schools, religious schools, home education groups, and advisors who are knowledgeable about the workings of the education system and university applications etc. These are conspicuously absent in the black Jamaican areas.

At the risk of almost answering my own question, could the reason why almost no black Jamaican families home educate their children be because they are an ethnic group which has badly failed to establish any form of social and economic infrastructure like south Asians have, and may indeed have no desire to build their own infrastructure, because their belief is one of assimilation into 'white' society and the economy? If the answer is yes then it's doubly unfortunate that the 'whites' that the black Jamaicans have overwhelmingly chosen to assimilate into are the lower classes, that have little going for them and little to offer the black Jamaicans in terms of material support, rather than the middle classes or professionals hence residing on the council estate rather than a comfortable suburb. A case of black Jamaicans paying into the system but they are never paid back. In contrast, lower class south Asians appear to be very wary of white lower class folk. The popular view is because the white lower class folk are racist, intolerant, and Islamophobic, but the real reason is more likely to be that they have nothing of value to offer the south Asians other than as customers for their shops, takeaways, taxis on Saturday night etc. The relationship between the south Asians and the white lower class folk is purely an economic one whereas the relationship between the black Jamaicans and the white lower class folk is purely a social one.

Therefore, black Jamaican parents send their children to state schools for assimilation first and education second. This also explains why there is no public demand for black schools. Possibly also as a state run childminder for 36 weeks of the year. In contrast, south Asian parents put education before assimilation, and they only want their children to mix with good quality white children rather than any old riff-raff.

There is also anecdotal evidence that there is high demand for after school clubs by Jamaican parents but there isn't much demand by south Asian parents as their children attend madrassas or supplementary schools, study at home, are tutored, etc. within their own community facilities after school. Again, it's clearly another case where the black Jamaican community have failed to create amenities to cater for their children after school, whereas the south Asian communities have done so, but could there also be elements of assimilation behind the demand for after school clubs run by state schools as opposed to being run by black Jamaicans themselves?

If this is true then is it a result of poor decisions, collectively, of black Jamaicans over the decades how to organise themselves and their communities, or is it underpinned by some deeper seated philosophy?

I have previously mentioned that I get the impression that some strange type of Stockholm syndrome occurred amongst the slave communities that was passed down to their descendants.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=78500472

Something that does not apply to south Asians or black Africans.

Truths mentioned “One reason is because unlike Christianity, Islam and Hinduism lay out very clear economic conventions”. Could religion be the key to why south Asians practise economic introversion whereas black Jamaicans do not, and ultimately, is the root causes as to why almost no black Jamaican families home educate their children and almost all send their children to state schools as opposed to black schools or independent schools?
Reply 48
I have found out that some black Jamaican families home educate if they are Jehovah's Witnesses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending