100%
Epais (0)
0%
BLC1203
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I am an international applicant and am currently holding 2 offers at the University of Warwick. I was wondering whether how the reputation of both of these courses compare.

The two offers I have are Economics (pure) and Epais (Economics, Politics, and international studies)

I heard that the straight economics courses is more reputable throughout the forums, and find it hard to make a decision (don't know how much I like Econ more than politics). Any advice would be appreciated. My offers are also unconditional as I have taken a gap year. Would like to know which degree opens more doors (maybe in finance, Msc programs, etc) Would employers find pure economics to be more focused and quantitative?
Cheesybread
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Employers would find pure economics more focused and quantitative but that may not be a good thing, as often employers complain about a lack of real world applications when it comes to economics. This Link: https://www.theguardian.com/business...g-chang-aldred
I would say choose the subject you want to do, if you do economics you can always add politics modules.
ethancruise15
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It depends on what industry you're planning on going into, if you're going for anything finance then straight econ is far more reputable. Employers know that there is a limited intake for the straight economics course and especially at a target university like Warwick. Remember that you can pick-and-choose your modules within econ so you can tailor it to the things you want to study, but ultimately end up with that awesome degree. Hope this helps!
BLC1203
Rep:
?
thanks for the quick reply, do you know much about applying for an Msc afterwards and if study econ would be more reputable to do that?
(Original post by ethancruise15)
It depends on what industry you're planning on going into, if you're going for anything finance then straight econ is far more reputable. Employers know that there is a limited intake for the straight economics course and especially at a target university like Warwick. Remember that you can pick-and-choose your modules within econ so you can tailor it to the things you want to study, but ultimately end up with that awesome degree. Hope this helps!
ethancruise15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A Master's or any post-graduate work typically is more focused on the grades achieved as compared to the subject. Also, most people doing economics BSc go on to do an MSc in something Finance-specific related, other than those pursuing academic economics. Either way flat economics at Warwick will enable you to follow any of these paths as it is such a reputable degree.
(Original post by BLC1203)
thanks for the quick reply, do you know much about applying for an Msc afterwards and if study econ would be more reputable to do that?
BLC1203
Rep:
?
Yeah, it would make sense for them to get into Finance (Msc programs) in a sense. I asked the question because I read on the course description that EPAIS only has around 50 students (more exclusive/reputable?), and how it's one of the few programs of its kind. Definitely surprised that people find straight economics more reputable.
(Original post by ethancruise15)
A Master's or any post-graduate work typically is more focused on the grades achieved as compared to the subject. Also, most people doing economics BSc go on to do an MSc in something Finance-specific related, other than those pursuing academic economics. Either way flat economics at Warwick will enable you to follow any of these paths as it is such a reputable degree.
ethancruise15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Part of the reason simply is that on your CV, if you only get 10 seconds to make an impression, it's best to avoid spending time explaining what the acronym for your degree even means 😂.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (145)
17.64%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
9%
No I am happy with my course choice (485)
59%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (118)
14.36%

Watched Threads