Crying due to Onions Watch

Haider.alix
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
My whole family has a lot of problems when onion is cut in our house, we all cry.... what to do how to prevent these tears
hello_shawn
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Your family aren't the only ones, there's a chemical in onions that triggers the tear glands. So wear goggles if you're afraid of getting it in your eyes.
Haider.alix
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
well they say chewing gum works , but only for my father and brother not for me and my mother
(Original post by hello_shawn)
Your family aren't the only ones, there's a chemical in onions that triggers the tear glands. So wear goggles if you're afraid of getting it in your eyes.
JaseyB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Here are 3 remedies I have heard about I have no idea if any of them work as I haven't tested any of them myself,
Remedy 1 - cut the onion under water ( might not want to get the onion wet? )
Remedy 2 - place a bowl of water between yourself and the onion,
Remedy 3 - hold a piece of silverware in your mouth, ie a spoon, whilst you cut the onion (no idea how this would work).

If you try any of these and they work please let me know. My eyes used to be extremely sensitive to onions too at a time when my diet was unhealthy and I was very overweight, since then I have slimmed down and now eat much healthier and I eat onions at least 5 days a week and my eyes never water anymore whilst preparing onions. (Not sure if it's because I eat so many onions that they don't ?).
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Haider.alix)
My whole family has a lot of problems when onion is cut in our house, we all cry.... what to do how to prevent these tears
Everyone has weird tricks they will swear by like chewing gum, holding a wooden spoon between your teeth or even wearing a snorkelling mask. The mask is the only one that actually has some scientific merit, as it's the only one that stops the chemical from the onion actually getting into your nose and eyes. However assuming you don't want to cook like you're about to go scuba diving, the best solution and the one that will also improve your time in the kitchen in general, is buy new knives or a knife sharpener for the ones you have now. With a sharper knife you rupture less cells to throw the irritant towards your face and with less pressure used, and you can complete the job much more quickly too. If it affects your whole family, I suspect your knives are blunt as hell.
Last edited by Gofre; 4 weeks ago
claireestelle
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I put them in the freezer for 20 minutes before chopping them and much less tears.
Dunya
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A Tusa Splendive should do the trick.
Your Local Cat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Name:  onioncooking.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  12.9 KB

Is it normal to cry when looking at images of them??
TheTroll73
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Your Local Cat)
Name:  onioncooking.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  12.9 KB

Is it normal to cry when looking at images of them??
yes look at that poor cut onion

so sad
SchuylerSister22
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
My food technology teacher told us to never cut the bottom of the onion because that's where the chemical eye watery juice is stored. So apparently if you stop chopping before you get to that bit, you'll be fine
hajerox123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
all of you wear swimming goggles
yzanne
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Everyone is sensitive to onions because of the chemicals - it's nothing hereditary or anything like that, it's the onion itself which is the problem! Into the freezer they go for 10-20 mins and the chemical releasing is inhibited. Could also try swimming goggles, what a classic - although prepared to look like a lemon. :yep:
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
inb4 ermm don't use onions ?

:dontknow:
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
People I know use a mecerator to cut the onion into pieces in the box. Another advantage of this device is cutting the onions is faster than doing by the hands.
hajerox123
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
crying is good for you.
(Original post by BahaDavidson)
Honestly I feel like no one else cries from onions more than me. I literally have to get out of the room when some is cutting. 😓
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by hajerox123)
crying is good for you.
Not when you're being blinded by tears in an attempt to purge your eyes of a chemical agent it's not.
HoldThisL
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
wear swimming goggles
hajerox123
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
sorry English x
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
Not when you're being blinded by tears in an attempt to purge your eyes of a chemical agent it's not.
ayyyy.x
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
And this is why I leave the onion cutting to my mum. Honestly, she has been so used to cutting onions, her eyes do not water as much as they should compared to someone who has been cutting them hardly. As someone has already said, try wearing protective eyewear that can prevent your eyes from being exposed or just open the windows and let fresh air come in.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don't cut the root of the onion, that's what makes you cry when cutting onions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (306)
15.12%
The paper was reasonable (1116)
55.14%
Not feeling great about that exam... (442)
21.84%
It was TERRIBLE (160)
7.91%

Watched Threads