Rich students faked ethnic minority status in scheme to get into elite Universities Watch

AngeryPenguin
Badges: 17
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
The man behind the scheme to help wealthy students get into elite colleges by cheating on tests and faking athletic credentials also advised some families to falsely claim students were racial minorities, exploiting the push to diversify campuses, according to two people familiar with the situation.

A son of Marjorie Klapper, a parent scheduled to plead guilty Friday for participating in the scheme, was incorrectly listed on his Common Application as being black and Hispanic, the people said. William “Rick” Singer, the college counselor who has agreed to plead guilty in the case and is awaiting sentencing, also arranged for a proctor to cheat on the ACT admissions test for the teen, according to a Federal Bureau of Investigation affidavit filed in the case.

Klapper, who lives in Menlo Park, Calif., was one of many parents charged whose child was misrepresented as a minority, according to one of the people, who is familiar with the investigation.

Singer frequently gave families the option of misrepresenting race and would say that not doing so could put their child at a “competitive disadvantage,” said one of the people, who is familiar with his business.

In looking to present a teen as a minority, Singer was tapping into a hot-button aspect of college admissions that has led to numerous lawsuits: decisions that take into account, or even give preference to, students of certain races or ethnicities. Schools that pursue race-conscious admissions policies say they do so to provide a richer learning environment for all students and are following Supreme Court precedent that allows such an approach.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/st...dal-2019-05-18

This is part of the revelations about elite US university admissions cheating by wealthy families. I don't think it's been posted on TSR before but it's a pretty big deal.
Jebedee
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If the racist admissions system didn't exist then this wouldn't be a problem in the first place.

I hope everyone exploits it and they are forced to remove it.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Considering one of the democratic presidential candidates lies about her ethnicity multiple times to gain advantages, it hypocritical for the left of American politics to criticise this, while not rallying against her.
AngeryPenguin
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
Considering one of the democratic presidential candidates lies about her ethnicity multiple times to gain advantages, it hypocritical for the left of American politics to criticise this, while not rallying against her.
She took a genetic test that proved she had Native American ancestry.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
It proved she had an amount in a possible range, that went from less then the average white person, to slightly more then the average white Person

Thanks to interbreeding most white people in America have a little Native American DNA in them just like her,, they can't go around claiming the herratige though, hence why she was criticised strongly by the Native American communities.

The test showed that it's possible she is less Native American then the average white person, and yet she claimed on multiple forms and applications minority herratige..

I brought it up because it confuses me when I see left leaning America media outlets critisisng these mums for cultural appropriation and other ways of labelling their actions, whist ignoring that one of the democratic cadidates they stand behind did the same thing.
Last edited by fallen_acorns; 4 weeks ago
Jebedee
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It proved that out of 1000+ ancestors. One of them may or may not have been slightly native American. (as the genetic test cannot discern between Native American and South American).

The average person (including Trump) has more native blood than she does.
wizardsaway
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Unless there's some medical condition involved. race is defined by blood and visuals. It's ridiculous to see people claiming an ethnic tag when they are of mixed blood.
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
System creates perverse incentives
Bad actors take advantage of perverse incentives
Everyone: :eek:

[Same applies to the transgender self-ID debate]
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
End Affirmative Action, absolute nonsense, should be merit based 100%!
z-hog
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Why not, if Liz Warren can go in pubic pretending to have American native roots and get a diploma for that...

It's totally wrong to refer to American natives as Indians as they have nothing to do with India.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The man behind the scheme to help wealthy students get into elite colleges by cheating on tests and faking athletic credentials also advised some families to falsely claim students were racial minorities, exploiting the push to diversify campuses, according to two people familiar with the situation.

A son of Marjorie Klapper, a parent scheduled to plead guilty Friday for participating in the scheme, was incorrectly listed on his Common Application as being black and Hispanic, the people said. William “Rick” Singer, the college counselor who has agreed to plead guilty in the case and is awaiting sentencing, also arranged for a proctor to cheat on the ACT admissions test for the teen, according to a Federal Bureau of Investigation affidavit filed in the case.

Klapper, who lives in Menlo Park, Calif., was one of many parents charged whose child was misrepresented as a minority, according to one of the people, who is familiar with the investigation.

Singer frequently gave families the option of misrepresenting race and would say that not doing so could put their child at a “competitive disadvantage,” said one of the people, who is familiar with his business.

In looking to present a teen as a minority, Singer was tapping into a hot-button aspect of college admissions that has led to numerous lawsuits: decisions that take into account, or even give preference to, students of certain races or ethnicities. Schools that pursue race-conscious admissions policies say they do so to provide a richer learning environment for all students and are following Supreme Court precedent that allows such an approach.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/st...dal-2019-05-18

This is part of the revelations about elite US university admissions cheating by wealthy families. I don't think it's been posted on TSR before but it's a pretty big deal.
I have followed the case and they essentially exploited a loophole in the way US colleges recruit athletes (college sports in US is basically professional level).

A few people acted as managers and went to US college sports coaches and essentially bribed them into allowing them easy admission as they would come in to the schools to play as athletes. Then on arrival they would get cut from the sports team, but already at that point be admitted to the University.

The racial 'fake minority' case is due to some states mandating easier admission for black/latino americans who are under-represented, however this obviously then decreases the admission of Caucasian/Asian americans who have just as strong admissions files.

Yes what happened in letting extremely wealthy kids buy themselves into Uni is wrong. But the reality is it was only a handful less than 30 in total. This shows generally speaking, the admissions office are not taking into account financial background.
Those who are caught, should be criminally prosecuted but its not a big problem.

The issue of faking race, well unfortunately i only see this becoming a bigger issue as the policy is inherently discriminatory against someone. The policy was installed in the 1960's due to under representation. I think personally it should be repealed (it already has in many Unis/states) and more work should be done for equality of opportunity at younger ages rather than force equality of outcome (as this is the consequence).
BenK64
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Jebedee)
If the racist admissions system didn't exist then this wouldn't be a problem in the first place.

I hope everyone exploits it and they are forced to remove it.
Spot on
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by RaciaIReality)
Go to a university in South Africa where you can blame Whites for aids, and call for killing White infants

One bullet one infant

I'm sure many lefties on here will feel at home
I what way is this post helpful, this thread has nothing to do with post apartheid SA.
And for what it's worth most people seem agreed affirmative action is a poor policy that should be repealed (if you read the thread)
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Eat the rich
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Affirmative action is an incredibly lazy policy, and always has been.

There are tons of things that unis could do to really widen participation - travel grants, better open day experience, assistance making applications, tutoring for essay writing (US colleges still have an essay requirement afaik), and so on and so forth.

But all of that takes work, time, and money. Randomly picking out some minority applicants to whitelist (hah) through the process on the other hand, does not.

So that's what colleges do instead, because heavens forbid they spend any of their multimillion football grant on making sure underprivileged high school kids get a fair chance, right? :sigh:

It was really only a matter of time before some twits exploited the colleges' complete indolence. Serves them bloody right. Sadly I doubt this case is going to change anything. Colleges in the US continue to see students as profiteering opportunities, not valued members.
Last edited by Dez; 3 weeks ago
TheNamesBond.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Wait what?

So racial minorities get an advantage?

That is exactly what the problem is, looking at someone and seeing them for what their skin colour is, that is the problem.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Can’t lie, if I were a parent in the US I’d try to exploit this with my child.
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The US is such a rich joke
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Can’t lie, if I were a parent in the US I’d try to exploit this with my child.
I think many parents are desperate to get a competitive advantage for their kids and will do surprising things to exploit the system if they can
ltsmith
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm an ethnic minority and these schemes are disgusting.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (414)
18.63%
The paper was reasonable (1054)
47.43%
Not feeling great about that exam... (493)
22.19%
It was TERRIBLE (261)
11.75%

Watched Threads