The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
make sure you have an anecdote?
Reply 2
a good tip is to steal facts, opinions and fancy vocab from the media items they give you for the first part

the 2 sections are usually linked in some way
Reply 3
da_kind92
make sure you have an anecdote?

hes right, and also counter your own argument, i mean make a point, bring up an argument to your point but dismiss it, examiners love when you do this
Reply 4
I have to do a speaking exam pretty much right after the exam as well :frown:
Reply 5
im doing the exam tomorrow as well but im doing non-fiction/media/info and not many of us know what thats about, anyone got a clue?
Reply 6
Tomorrow I am also doing English Non-Fiction/Media/Info, and the crappy teacher said that it's "Non Fiction Articles to analyse" and "Writing to inform/explain/describe".

Bit of a thread hi-jack, but I think it's the same exam as the OP's so please give tips :smile:
Reply 7
my point was not very clear;
example : " animal testing is neccesary, you may say that it is cruel, and how would we feel if this was us in this situation and that one life=another, but it is almost impossible to safely research drugs for human use without the use of animal tests, many of whichhave no adverse effets on the animal" weak example but u get the gist...
Reply 8
Tla
Tomorrow I am also doing English Non-Fiction/Media/Info, and the crappy teacher said that it's "Non Fiction Articles to analyse" and "Writing to inform/explain/describe".

Bit of a thread hi-jack, but I think it's the same exam as the OP's so please give tips :smile:

That's the same exam.

Seems like you have no idea, so would be a good thing to look through a past paper so you know the format for tomorrow. That'll save you 5 minutes.
Reply 9
OCR english tomorow- unit 1- "non-fiction/media/info"

3 questions:
summary
analyse non-fiction text
writing to inform/explain/describe.

I'm resigned to the fact that I *won't* do very well on this exam, since I lean more towards literature-related stuff, but hoping other exams will make up for it in my final grade.
Reply 10
Rhetorical questions, anecdotes, provocative statements, lists of three, similes/metaphors... You could make up facts and figures too as long as they aren't completely ridiculous I suppose! :biggrin:

Also do a counter argument for each point. Yes it feels stupid and like you're contradicting yourself but my english teacher has told us we have to do it in ours for every point.
Reply 11
example of a counter agrugement?
Reply 12
Does anybody do WJEC English here?
Reply 13
econ-hec
hes right, and also counter your own argument, i mean make a point, bring up an argument to your point but dismiss it, examiners love when you do this

Im a girl.:frown:
Reply 14
anyone know how to compare in the media question?
Reply 15
examples of a counter arguement i dont understand?
Reply 16
Basically you need to have a counter argument, it gives believability along with effectiveness and also the examiner knows that you know how to balance an argument, the counter argument can be used to in a way make your point sound more effective, its like when you say "OK, this could happen but...", or "I know cycling takes time to learn and the equipment can be hard to store, but you get to avoid a lot of traffic"
Things like that make your writing more effective, not only this, use rhetorical devices, such as, Rhetorical questions, anecdotes, facts and figures with a reliable source, I would give an aggressive tone to this piece, vey authorative basically x
Reply 17
riiight.
That's the same exam.

Seems like you have no idea, so would be a good thing to look through a past paper so you know the format for tomorrow. That'll save you 5 minutes.

lol "seems like I have no idea" is probably how I'd describe it.

Although predicted an A, and although receiving A and A stars in all coursework pieces, I gained a D in the mock exam for English Language.

And my test is tomorrow... I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO BETTER
Reply 18
I'm going to scam through my dictionary or thesaurus again tonight - it's seriously getting addictive now, either that or I've not read a good book in a while :]

Pick put some new words try and slip it in as naturally as possible. I heard wry humour is also popular...
Reply 19
hey could anyone tell me a good structure for persuasive writting

Latest