I failed science foundation year at uni, shall I take A Levels and try again? Watch

kimld
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I did a BTEC in Travel and Tourism at college and barely passed, I think in total I got around 60 UCAS points (which cannot get you into most if not any full time uni courses). At the time I did not want to go to university and didn't even think twice about the future, I just thought I'd get college out the way and move on with my life by working full time etc.

After a few years of working full time I realised a degree would get me to where I wanted in life so I did a foundation year in environmental science. sure enough, I failed the foundation year (I made myself ill from revising so much, trust me. I tried.)

I was absolutely distraught that I failed and cried most nights having a complete melt down, the usual stuff. however I still want to try again! I emailed the university I went too and they said the science faculty will not accept me in the future for any course as I have failed.

so there's the background story out the way. I am now 22, do you think by doing A levels and getting the best marks possible I could reapply for a university course again? I would have to go to the same university because of family/housing situation however I really want to go back and do medieval history. could this be a possibility if I took A levels?

any suggestion/comment good or bad is welcome - at this point I'll take anything on board.
watershower
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What do you want to do in the future?
By the way, your age doesn’t matter! It’s never too late to persue your dreams.
kimld
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm really interested in the human interaction with the environment throughout time so when deciding what to pick for my foundation year I was battling between environmental science and history
(Original post by watershower)
What do you want to do in the future?
By the way, your age doesn’t matter! It’s never too late to persue your dreams.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kimld)
I did a BTEC in Travel and Tourism at college and barely passed, I think in total I got around 60 UCAS points (which cannot get you into most if not any full time uni courses). At the time I did not want to go to university and didn't even think twice about the future, I just thought I'd get college out the way and move on with my life by working full time etc.

After a few years of working full time I realised a degree would get me to where I wanted in life so I did a foundation year in environmental science. sure enough, I failed the foundation year (I made myself ill from revising so much, trust me. I tried.)

I was absolutely distraught that I failed and cried most nights having a complete melt down, the usual stuff. however I still want to try again! I emailed the university I went too and they said the science faculty will not accept me in the future for any course as I have failed.

so there's the background story out the way. I am now 22, do you think by doing A levels and getting the best marks possible I could reapply for a university course again? I would have to go to the same university because of family/housing situation however I really want to go back and do medieval history. could this be a possibility if I took A levels?

any suggestion/comment good or bad is welcome - at this point I'll take anything on board.
I would look at access courses- these are one year courses aimed at mature students who want to go to university. There's funding available and you can do them full or part time. There's more information here:
https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Pages/Default.aspx

However, I'd also suggest you have a really strong think about why you failed your foundation year, and if you think things would definitely be different if you did another subject. University isn't for everyone, and there are other ways to have a successful career.

I'd also think strongly about whether Medieval History would really help you progress- at the moment you can still get full funding for a degree, but if you do another year, you won't, so make sure this is definitely the right choice for you.

What do you see yourself doing after your degree?
DarthRoar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
University isn't for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.31%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (102)
35.05%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (62)
21.31%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.62%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.71%

Watched Threads