Evaregan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
1. My understanding of free radicals is that they are highly reactive, unstable atoms with uneven number of electrons. They can be produced both endogenously and exogenously and damage cells by taking electrons, which creates a domino effect (thus damaging lots of them). Is this right?

2. Are free radicals the same as ROS?

3. When free radicals are unstable in the body, how do they damage the skin? just by taking electrons from things like collagen?

4. If so, how do topical products containing antioxidants help stabilize them?

5. Do antioxidant products just sink into the skin, or is it via the blood stream?

6. I know that the body receives free radicals exogenously through things like cigarette smoke/ pollutants. Do they physically go into the lungs with cigarette smoke/ inhaled pollution? Or are they a response from the body? E.g.- pollutants inhaled so the body produces free radicals to attack them.

7. How does stress increase the number of free radicals? is it to do with increased inhalation/ metabolic rate?

8. How does lack of sleep increase the number of free radicals?
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Evaregan)
1. My understanding of free radicals is that they are highly reactive, unstable atoms with uneven number of electrons. They can be produced both endogenously and exogenously and damage cells by taking electrons, which creates a domino effect (thus damaging lots of them). Is this right?
Not necessarily atoms, they can also be species made up of many atoms. A free radical is a species that has at least one unpaired electron. That makes most free atoms also free radicals.

Some species, such as oxygen molecules are diradicals in that they have two unpaired electrons. This is what makes oxygen very reactive.

2. Are free radicals the same as ROS?
No

3. When free radicals are unstable in the body, how do they damage the skin? just by taking electrons from things like collagen?
Free radicals are very reactive species that can cause chain reactions in anything they come into contact with. Skin is made up of many compounds all of whch can be degraded by free radicals.

4. If so, how do topical products containing antioxidants help stabilize them?
These provide or absorb electrons that can end the free radical chain reaction.

5. Do antioxidant products just sink into the skin, or is it via the blood stream?
That would depend on the product and the solvent.

6. I know that the body receives free radicals exogenously through things like cigarette smoke/ pollutants. Do they physically go into the lungs with cigarette smoke/ inhaled pollution? Or are they a response from the body? E.g.- pollutants inhaled so the body produces free radicals to attack them.
This I don't know.

7. How does stress increase the number of free radicals? is it to do with increased inhalation/ metabolic rate?
Does stress increase the number of free radicals? I suspect that this has not been demonstrated/proven.

8. How does lack of sleep increase the number of free radicals?
Does lack of sleep increase the number of free radicals? I suspect that this has not been demonstrated/proven.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (22)
14.01%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
26.75%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (65)
41.4%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
14.65%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
3.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise