English literature and language exams Watch

Rimika Sharma
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Someone help! I’m going my yr 10
I’m ‘*****ttttttt’ at English. I need help on how to get decent marks and be able to pass at least. I’m going to be doing paper 1. Inspector calla, seen poetry and unseen poetry.
So someone(everyone) give me tips please!!
dasda
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
got a 4 in lit. god save you
Rimika Sharma
Rep:
?
😂😂😂even god ain’t helping me . He’s on holiday this time of the year.🙄🙄.
(Original post by dasda)
got a 4 in lit. god save you
AspiringAccount
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rimika Sharma)
Someone help! I’m going my yr 10
I’m ‘*****ttttttt’ at English. I need help on how to get decent marks and be able to pass at least. I’m going to be doing paper 1. Inspector calla, seen poetry and unseen poetry.
So someone(everyone) give me tips please!!
For an inspector calls it's a choice between: Mr salles, mr bruff, Stacey reay. I used mr bruff which sorta paid off. I'm edexcel and you haven't made clear what exam board you're doing? So my sh*ts probably useless.
MarthaH123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello I'm doing A level English lit. I'm not studying an Inspector Calls, but I do have to do poetry. Here are some notes I made for someone else doing GCSE English. These are useful to bear in mind for your seen texts, but also unseen. Also just read your texts again and make sure you know them really well- the plot, characters and themes. Hope it helps!!

ENGLISH LITERATURE TECHNIQUES

Pronouns
Possessive pronouns- show controls and possession eg. this is my house
(Second person) personal pronouns- creates accusatory tone e.g you did this; this is your fault
Third person plural pronouns- creates exclusion of the speaker eg. they met up
First person plural pronouns- creates inclusion of the speaker eg. we met up

Tenses
Present - sense of immediacy eg. this is happening
Future - sense of determination or certainty eg. this will happen in the future; I will do this

Narrative perspective
First person- sense of immediacy/urgency eg. this is happening to me
Second person- sense of immediacy/urgency , involves the reader eg. this is happening to you
Third person - omnipresent, omniscient narrator- can create distance eg. this is happening to them

Descriptions
Oxymoron / oxymoronic - contradiction, sense of confusion/fear/ lack of clarity eg. deafening silence, blinding darkness
Hyperbole- exaggeration/ melodrama eg. this has happened a million times, this never happens, this always happens
Metaphor- saying something is something that it is not eg. my daughter is my flesh and blood
Simile- comparing something, using like and as- eg. brave as a lion
Imagery
Alliteration (sibilant/ plosive alliteration) - emphasis
Emotive language
Sensory language - smell, touch, sound, taste
Personification- giving something inhuman human qualities- eg. the sun smiled, the wind cried
Pathetic fallacy - when the weather reflects the situation of the people in the text, emphasises the emotions of the situation being described - eg. the rain pattered dismally, the sun shone brightly
Contrasts- highlights certain characteristics of the things that are being contrasted
Setting- can emphasise the situation eg. if the story is set in icy mountains, or a sunny meadow.

Structure
Fragmented sentences
Short sentences
Long sentences
Repetition
Tricolon- persuasive technique
Rhetorical question
Monosyllables- anger, patronisation
Juxtaposition- highlights certain characteristics of the things that are placed next to one another.

Sounds
Onomatopoeia
Plosives - association with anger/ intense emotion
Sibilance- create a hissing sound, can show anger
Fricatives- soft fricatives create an airy effect (eg. fluffy, floating, fairy)
Long consonants (l and w) - sense of sadness (eg. woe, worry, loss)

Poems
Caesura - break up the lines- anger
Enjambment - increase speed of poem, sense of enthusiasm
Rhyme scheme
Rhythm

Connotations / associations
You can also use connotations and associative meanings of words to analysis them. Eg. darkness is associated with evil, red is associated with anger or love, yellow is associated with sickness, blue is associated with sadness, green is associated with hope.
Rimika Sharma
Rep:
?
Thankyouuuuuuu
(Original post by marthah123)
hello i'm doing a level english lit. I'm not studying an inspector calls, but i do have to do poetry. Here are some notes i made for someone else doing gcse english. These are useful to bear in mind for your seen texts, but also unseen. Also just read your texts again and make sure you know them really well- the plot, characters and themes. Hope it helps!!

English literature techniques

pronouns
possessive pronouns- show controls and possession eg. This is my house
(second person) personal pronouns- creates accusatory tone e.g you did this; this is your fault
third person plural pronouns- creates exclusion of the speaker eg. They met up
first person plural pronouns- creates inclusion of the speaker eg. We met up

tenses
present - sense of immediacy eg. This is happening
future - sense of determination or certainty eg. This will happen in the future; i will do this

narrative perspective
first person- sense of immediacy/urgency eg. This is happening to me
second person- sense of immediacy/urgency , involves the reader eg. This is happening to you
third person - omnipresent, omniscient narrator- can create distance eg. This is happening to them

descriptions
oxymoron / oxymoronic - contradiction, sense of confusion/fear/ lack of clarity eg. Deafening silence, blinding darkness
hyperbole- exaggeration/ melodrama eg. This has happened a million times, this never happens, this always happens
metaphor- saying something is something that it is not eg. My daughter is my flesh and blood
simile- comparing something, using like and as- eg. Brave as a lion
imagery
alliteration (sibilant/ plosive alliteration) - emphasis
emotive language
sensory language - smell, touch, sound, taste
personification- giving something inhuman human qualities- eg. The sun smiled, the wind cried
pathetic fallacy - when the weather reflects the situation of the people in the text, emphasises the emotions of the situation being described - eg. The rain pattered dismally, the sun shone brightly
contrasts- highlights certain characteristics of the things that are being contrasted
setting- can emphasise the situation eg. If the story is set in icy mountains, or a sunny meadow.

Structure
fragmented sentences
short sentences
long sentences
repetition
tricolon- persuasive technique
rhetorical question
monosyllables- anger, patronisation
juxtaposition- highlights certain characteristics of the things that are placed next to one another.

Sounds
onomatopoeia
plosives - association with anger/ intense emotion
sibilance- create a hissing sound, can show anger
fricatives- soft fricatives create an airy effect (eg. Fluffy, floating, fairy)
long consonants (l and w) - sense of sadness (eg. Woe, worry, loss)

poems
caesura - break up the lines- anger
enjambment - increase speed of poem, sense of enthusiasm
rhyme scheme
rhythm

connotations / associations
you can also use connotations and associative meanings of words to analysis them. Eg. Darkness is associated with evil, red is associated with anger or love, yellow is associated with sickness, blue is associated with sadness, green is associated with hope.
Rimika Sharma
Rep:
?
Thanks anyway.... I’m doing aqa I think
I don’t even know
See how useless I am😂😂
(Original post by AspiringAccount)
For an inspector calls it's a choice between: Mr salles, mr bruff, Stacey reay. I used mr bruff which sorta paid off. I'm edexcel and you haven't made clear what exam board you're doing? So my sh*ts probably useless.
KawaiiArtist
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have a document I made at GCSE for Inspector Calls with character/theme profiles and quote analysis that I can send you if you like. For poetry focus on the themes within the poem and how they are portrayed/presented in terms of language, form and structure, and try to use as many technical terms as you can but don't just list things, make sure you analyse. Check your AO's (Assessment objectives) so you can tick off what you are supposed to be including in your work.
Rimika Sharma
Rep:
?
Please do....
KawaiiArtist
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
Hope its helpful x
Please do....
AspiringAccount
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks anyway.... I’m doing aqa I think
I don’t even know
See how useless I am😂😂
don't sweat it chief you got this. I'm just the type of guy who tries to revise gives up and then settles for last minute revision (in which I used mr Bruff).
Rimika Sharma
Rep:
?
Thanks
U could say I’m kinda like u to
I’m starting early but as can be seen
Am starting to give up
don't sweat it chief you got this. I'm just the type of guy who tries to revise gives up and then settles for last minute revision (in which I used mr Bruff).
Rimika Sharma
Rep:
?
Thankyou sooooooooo much
Your a life saviour

KawaiiArtist
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thankyou sooooooooo much
Your a life saviour
Np. Wish you the best with your exams x
AspiringAccount
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks
U could say I’m kinda like u to
I’m starting early but as can be seen
Am starting to give up
keep your chin up and take short breaks to re-assess. That's what I wish i'd done anyway. You got this.
Rimika Sharma
Rep:
?
Thanks
You to

keep your chin up and take short breaks to re-assess. That's what I wish i'd done anyway. You got this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 25 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

Who do you think will be the next PM?