The Student Room Group

I can’t be myself because I’m scared

I’m 16 and Gay. However, many people wouldn’t assume this as I don’t act like a stereotypical Gay guy you see in the media. This makes it harder to tell people because I literally portray no signs of homosexuality.

My parents are very religious and me telling them I am gay would ruin the relationship so I have come to the decision that I will wait until I’m financially stable or in University. So coming out at the moment is a big no.

Inside, I have this stereotypical gay personality that is hiding behind someone portraying a heterosexual male. This can cause a problem because I am not being myself towards people and am essentially faking who I am. I’m scared to get close to people because they might bring out this their side of me. Also, I have put on this persona that is doing everything to hide the fact he is gay because it is not the right time to come out as gay. This brings an inner turmoil/battle within myself because I can’t be this person anymore but I have to be.

I really don’t know what to do. I can’t be myself. But, by not being myself, I am hurting my emotional well-being. I just feel depressed over my situation because I can’t talk to anyone about it and I can’t change it.

Can I have some advice please?
Thanks
Reply 1
Hey :smile:

There's this thread that I've just dug out for you - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=83277244&highlight=LGBT

It's the LGBT chat on here, you'll be able to get some advice from people who've gone through the same thing as you have!

I hope that you're able to come out in the future and be who you are <3
yo... before I try and answer to give you advice, do you think you could tell me what religion your parents are as I find the religion of the parents tends to make coming out easier or harder depending on the tolerance levels normally incorporated in that religion?
Original post by Anonymous
I’m 16 and Gay. However, many people wouldn’t assume this as I don’t act like a stereotypical Gay guy you see in the media. This makes it harder to tell people because I literally portray no signs of homosexuality.

My parents are very religious and me telling them I am gay would ruin the relationship so I have come to the decision that I will wait until I’m financially stable or in University. So coming out at the moment is a big no.

Inside, I have this stereotypical gay personality that is hiding behind someone portraying a heterosexual male. This can cause a problem because I am not being myself towards people and am essentially faking who I am. I’m scared to get close to people because they might bring out this their side of me. Also, I have put on this persona that is doing everything to hide the fact he is gay because it is not the right time to come out as gay. This brings an inner turmoil/battle within myself because I can’t be this person anymore but I have to be.

I really don’t know what to do. I can’t be myself. But, by not being myself, I am hurting my emotional well-being. I just feel depressed over my situation because I can’t talk to anyone about it and I can’t change it.

Can I have some advice please?
Thanks
Reply 3
They are Jehovahs Witnesses. I know tricky 😬
Original post by SKENGDO2BUNNY
yo... before I try and answer to give you advice, do you think you could tell me what religion your parents are as I find the religion of the parents tends to make coming out easier or harder depending on the tolerance levels normally incorporated in that religion?

Quick Reply

Latest