Why on earth are people voting for Labour at the EU elections? Watch

wizardsaway
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Labour's current stance on the European Union is to leave as per the referendum (albeit with a supposedly different plan from the Tories). They appear to be as useless as the Brexit Party when it comes to being constructive on the European Union since they want to leave (and obviously they won't want to be seen doing too much), and it's not even like any major economic policy can be implemented at the European level since the UK isn't even part of the Eurozone (nor does EU seem to have any impact on the economic issues that youth most care about).

A vote for the Labour party will not deal with any of the problems affecting the EU parliament. The Migrants Crisis will be made worse by voting Labour for example.
Last edited by wizardsaway; 4 weeks ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
See https://twitter.com/stavvers/status/...314942976?s=21

There’s plenty of reasons to vote labour/green in order to influence the EU parliament.

The EU election isn’t a referendum.
ColinDent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by PQ)
See https://twitter.com/stavvers/status/...314942976?s=21

There’s plenty of reasons to vote labour/green in order to influence the EU parliament.

The EU election isn’t a referendum.
It kind of is though.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
It kind of is though.
Only if you think the EU parliament and MEPs are completely powerless.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by PQ)
Only if you think the EU parliament and MEPs are completely powerless.
Not really, it's sending them a message
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't know either really. If I were voting, and I wanted to remain, I can't see why I wouldn't vote lib dem or green.

For 2 reasons, first I'd be voting for an actual remain and secondly if labor loose a lot of votes, it may convince them to shift in a more remain direction
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by wizardsaway)
Labour's current stance on the European Union is to leave as per the referendum (albeit with a supposedly different plan from the Tories). They appear to be as useless as the Brexit Party when it comes to being constructive on the European Union since they want to leave (and obviously they won't want to be seen doing too much), and it's not even like any major economic policy can be implemented at the European level since the UK isn't even part of the Eurozone (nor does EU seem to have any impact on the economic issues that youth most care about).

A vote for the Labour party will not deal with any of the problems affecting the EU parliament. The Migrants Crisis will be made worse by voting Labour for example.
In my opinion because they are stupid.

In their opinion - reasons.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
I don't know either really. If I were voting, and I wanted to remain, I can't see why I wouldn't vote lib dem or green.

For 2 reasons, first I'd be voting for an actual remain and secondly if labor loose a lot of votes, it may convince them to shift in a more remain direction
They are losing votes to both sides and any sane person should cheer that!

The amount of splinters in their arses would put a hedgehog to shame.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
True, I expect them to care far more about the middle class southern votes they loose to the lib dems/greens then the working class votes they loose to ukip/Brexit party, given the way the party has gone under Corbyn.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
True, I expect them to care far more about the middle class southern votes they loose to the lib dems/greens then the working class votes they loose to ukip/Brexit party, given the way the party has gone under Corbyn.
It’s been that way for 25 years it just progresses each year.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not really, it's sending them a message
Splitting the left vote and handing seats to farage’s banker mates and pro austerity lib dems and CUK and missing an opportunity to shift the balance of power in the EU to the left (including a left wing president). Sounds like a stupid way to send a message to me.
stulfc
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

In that case, Vote Green.

I can't trust Lib Dems for once going against its principles and forming a coalition to help pass a motion to triple tuition fees. Something which they actively campaigned against in 2010. Also, recently forming an alliance with Tories to gain control over Bolton council.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by PQ)
Splitting the left vote and handing seats to farage’s banker mates and pro austerity lib dems and CUK and missing an opportunity to shift the balance of power in the EU to the left (including a left wing president). Sounds like a stupid way to send a message to me.
I was talking about sending a message to the EU and Parliament, we want to leave so it's Brexit Party all the way.
I do hope they're all listening.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I was talking about sending a message to the EU and Parliament, we want to leave so it's Brexit Party all the way.
I do hope they're all listening.
The majority of labour voters didn’t vote leave. :rolleyes:

And labour policy has always been to push for a soft brexit if any brexit at all.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by PQ)

And labour policy has always been to push for a soft brexit if any brexit at all.
The majority of people in labour constituency’s did just not labour voters.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Who cares how kippers vote? Labour would never win their votes without shifting to the right. You can’t out-Tory the tories.
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I find the whole thing quite difficult but think I will go Lib Dem.

I would have voted Labour apart from a)Corbyn and b) Don't want Brexit

I agree with stulfc that they went against their principles but hey, :dontknow: they're politicians
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
MEPs are not powerless. Voting for a Remain supporting party means they will take the job seriously and sends a message too. Greens and Lib Dems are, Labour is not.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by PQ)
Who cares how kippers vote? Labour would never win their votes without shifting to the right. You can’t out-Tory the tories.
Didn’t know half the electorate were ‘kippers’
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by PQ)

I did though, and many more besides.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (306)
15.12%
The paper was reasonable (1116)
55.14%
Not feeling great about that exam... (442)
21.84%
It was TERRIBLE (160)
7.91%

Watched Threads