The Student Room Group

Abortion becoming illegal

Scroll to see replies

right, yes cool i get you and i agree
Original post by Sharmarko
Again, yes, yes the rape argument.

Let me be clear - if a woman was raped, then I believe abortion is justifiable. HOWEVER, being a logical person I don't use rape as my sole reasoning for why ALL WOMEN should get abortions.

Rape is not common. There were over 180,000 abortions in a year alone in this country. There were nowhere near that amount of rape cases. As a logical person think - why use the extreme scenarios to explain the average circumstance?
Original post by Callicious
+1 to abortions, even if they have to tear it out limb from limb.

Maybe not limb from limb. That's a bit dark.

Maybe with a vacuum?

(I'm not trying to sound gross, it's just apparently how it's done! THEY VACUUM IT OUT?! I mean, taking a pill and all is fine, but vacuuming?)

How old does the embryo have to be before it's morally wrong for me to vacuum it out?
it's murder, anyone participating in it, (mother, doctor, organisations willingly funding it etc.) deserve to be put to death.
Original post by TheRealSquiddy
More to the point, a fetus cannot feel, it cannot think, it's brain is completely undeveloped, yes it is living but it is not a complete organism, you use plants as a model for argument, the difference is that thats plants don't give birth, nor do they have brain's, you are using a completely different kettle of fish to make a point.

This just came as an afterthought after reading the rest of your response: you know what else cannot feel or think? An adult in a coma. Is it right for me to turn off the support machinery because that human can no longer feel or think? It has no sentience.

Coral are animals, they reproduce. They do not have brains, and nor do many organisms - is it justifiable to kill something on the basis that it does not have a brain?

The OP mentioned heartbeat, then changed to potential value - you bring in the presence of a brain. What about the brain makes it so it's no longer moral to kill it? This is a very wishy-washy rule.
Original post by Leviathan1611
it's murder, anyone participating in it, (mother, doctor, organisations willingly funding it etc.) deserve to be put to death.

That's extreme and contradictory - you don't agree with murder, but you will agree to the murder of murderers? How about we just stop murdering.
Reply 45
Should not be illegal. Imagine people finding “other ways” to get it done, which will probs put their own lives at risk.
Original post by Htn_02
Should not be illegal. Imagine people finding “other ways” to get it done, which will probs put their own lives at risk.

Imagine if people, consenting adults with full capacity, took responsibility for their actions.
Reply 47
Imagine if people, consenting adults with full capacity, took responsibility for their actions.

And how exactly are they meant to consult someone if they get, let’s say, raped?
Original post by Htn_02
And how exactly are they meant to consult someone if they get, let’s say, raped?

You pro-choice people love this argument. I'll quote my response to several other people on this thread who have ingeniously and originally already thought of that idea.

To take the extreme sample of a population, make a conclusion from that, and extrapolate the conclusion from the extreme and apply it to the majority is, ironically, extremely illogical. I'm not dismissing rape. I'm dismissing rape as a reason why absolutely ANY WOMEN should freely get an abortion.

Because 1 woman was raped, you are happy giving another 1000 free abortions?

Abortion is not a rape issue. People are not having abortions at the same rate at which rape is occurring. People think they are smart by bringing up the rape argument - they are just highly illogical. In England and Wales alone, there were over 180,000 abortions. People don't take abortions because they were raped; they take abortions because some adults are unwilling to accept responsibility for their actions.
(edited 4 years ago)
I think it does depend on the situation because if it was caused by rape or sexual abuse then women should have the right to take away and forget their trauma. Men don’t have the right to decide on what we do with our bodies. I say this should be illegal only when all the males in the entire world stop abusing women or have sex without their consent. And ofc there is the case of not using correct protection. This is the parent’s problem and I don’t think it’s that much big of a deal to be influencing the law.
It shouldn't be illegal. Ever.

Regardless of what your personal opinion is on abortion it's so wrong to take away the choice for a woman. And funny how the pro-life people never seem to care about the unsafe backstreet abortions which will inevitably occur - terminating the pregnancy anyway AND putting the woman in a very dangerous situation.

In my opinion abortion is ethically wrong - but so is forcing women to carry children when they don't want to. Just because I don't like abortion doesn't mean I can dictate to other people what they can and can't do.
That's extreme and contradictory - you don't agree with murder, but you will agree to the murder of murderers? How about we just stop murdering.

I don't agree with sin. murdering your child is sin, stoning the murderer to death is not a sin. God gives life, only he can take it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Let me be clear - if a woman was raped, then I believe abortion is justifiable.

Original post by Zamestaneh
Every year there tens of thousands of non-emergancy (not from rape or due to major health concerns) abortions

I don't get how you pro-life people who's whole reason is "it's a human life you're killing, that's wrong", who then go on to say "ah yeah it's okay to murder babies in these special circumstances". Like... what?

If you're saying there's circumstances where it's okay to do the whole murder thing, then why not for other circumstances? Thought process: "murder bad, but rape bad, aagh can't decide, fak it you can murder the baby this one time".

The dehumanization of embryos makes reckless people comfortable about not accepting responsibility.

Embryos aren't human. We can create embryos in petri dishes. Does that make them human? Does that mean we have to find a woman somehow and implant it or else you're murdering it? No. It's a bunch of cells and nothing more.

Original post by Camryn0903
No but for a human body.. it cannot live without a heart.. or some replacement of the heart.. therefore before the heart starts working (as you cannot give a human foetus a pacemaker or artificial heart)... they are not alive because how can something be alive if it does not obtain one major factor in a human life.. for something.. whether that be an artificial heart or not ... to pump blood around the body.. ??

Okay you're dumb and don't know what being alive is. A heartbeat is a stupid measure of whether a human is alive. You survive for hours without a heartbeat. There are many far more fundamental signatures of life other than a heartbeat.
Original post by DarthRoar
I don't get how you pro-life people who's whole reason is "it's a human life you're killing, that's wrong", who then go on to say "ah yeah it's okay to murder babies in these special circumstances". Like... what?

If you're saying there's circumstances where it's okay to do the whole murder thing, then why not for other circumstances? Thought process: "murder bad, but rape bad, aagh can't decide, fak it you can murder the baby this one time".

Embryos aren't human. We can create embryos in petri dishes. Does that make them human? Does that mean we have to find a woman somehow and implant it or else you're murdering it? No. It's a bunch of cells and nothing more.

Okay you're dumb and don't know what being alive is. A heartbeat is a stupid measure of whether a human is alive. You survive for hours without a heartbeat. There are many far more fundamental signatures of life other than a heartbeat.

1.) Read my first post on this thread, I don't identify as a pro-lifer. I just don't like abortions being given out so freely. I'll quote what I said already below.

2.) There are NEVER circumstances where it's okay to murder - aborting a rape baby is just the lesser of two evils. I'm not saying "fak it" I'm saying "Well damn, both outcomes are horrible. I hate it, but I suppose we have to go with the objectively less horrible one - the one the raped mother picks".

3.) What difference is there between an embryo and a human to you?

I'm not pro-choice or pro-life. I like to think of myself as anti-abortion.

I believe abortions should be legal, but the process of getting one should be thorough. What I mean is, abortions shouldn't be handed out like sweets on Halloween when couples are reckless in bed and make a mistake. The dehumanization of embryos makes reckless people comfortable about not accepting responsibility.

In my ideal world, if someone wanted an abortion they would have to go through a screening process and apply. One section would involve a judging panel on the reasons why a women would wish for an abortion.
Original post by _gcx
A lack of self control is the mark of an uncivilised nation.

Fixed that for you....
1.) Read my first post on this thread, I don't identify as a pro-lifer. I just don't like abortions being given out so freely. I'll quote what I said already below.

2.) There are NEVER circumstances where it's okay to murder - aborting a rape baby is just the lesser of two evils. I'm not saying "fak it" I'm saying "Well damn, both outcomes are horrible. I hate it, but I suppose we have to go with the objectively less horrible one - the one the raped mother picks".

3.) What difference is there between an embryo and a human to you?

You can not identify as a pro-lifer all you like, but you very much fit the bill from what you've been saying.

'It's NEVER okay to murder... except when the mother was raped then murder all you like.' What I'm saying is that it's ridiculous to both hold the views that abortion is murder, and then say that murder is justified in some cases. What makes rape so special that it justifies murder? Why not being unable to support a child? Why not if the child would have an objectively crap life? Or is it because your whole argument is feelings-based, and this is just an expression of "murder bad but rape also bad, aagh" contradiction. Hmm.

The difference is developmental stage. An embryo is of the human genome, but it isn't a person in any sense of the word. However, most would agree that a fetus just prior to birth should be considered a person. So where do you draw the line between? Well, you can debate that for an eternity, but I'd suggest a good line would be when the fetus could survive outside the womb. The line certainly shouldn't be right over at the point of conception, nor should it be right over at the point just prior to birth.
(edited 4 years ago)
Again, yes, yes the rape argument.

Let me be clear - if a woman was raped, then I believe abortion is justifiable. HOWEVER, being a logical person I don't use rape as my sole reasoning for why ALL WOMEN should get abortions.

Rape is not common. There were over 180,000 abortions in a year alone in this country. There were nowhere near that amount of rape cases. As a logical person think - why use the extreme scenarios to explain the average circumstance?

And there are 510,000 reported sexual assault cases against women alone in this country this year, with 85,000 of those being rape, that's 16 percent of all sexual assaults being rape, tell me again that rape is not common? About 7.98% victims of rape have conception, that leaves 10,968 women who got pregnant based on the stats. That means that assuming every womam has an abortion after, 16% of abortions are performed on rape victims. Let's assume 30% don't have an abortion, that's still 10% of abortions being performed on rape victims.

Tell me again how rare it is.
Original post by TheRealSquiddy
And there are 510,000 reported sexual assault cases against women alone in this country this year, with 85,000 of those being rape, that's 16 percent of all sexual assaults being rape, tell me again that rape is not common? About 7.98% victims of rape have conception, that leaves 10,968 women who got pregnant based on the stats. That means that assuming every womam has an abortion after, 16% of abortions are performed on rape victims. Let's assume 30% don't have an abortion, that's still 10% of abortions being performed on rape victims.

Tell me again how rare it is.

10,968 is not the majority of 180,000. Why are you extrapolating the extreme situation and using it as a rule to justify the other 169,032 people? This is not how you make conclusions from statistics - look at the mean, the average; not the extremes.

I wake up one morning and stub my toe on my chair - I then campaign to remove all chairs in the UK because 1/10 people stub their toe every morning like me. I wonder how many would back me.
10,968 is not the majority of 180,000. Why are you extrapolating the extreme situation and using it as a rule to justify the other 169,032 people? This is not how you make conclusions from statistics - look at the mean, the average; not the extremes.

I wake up one morning and stub my toe on my chair - I then campaign to remove all chairs in the UK because 1/10 people stub their toe every morning like me. I wonder how many would back me.

It isn't, you are right, but it's still a significant proportion that isn't nearly as extremely rare as you make it out is it?

Did you know globally only 56% percent of abortions are the result of unwanted pregnancy, a large proportion, 34% had abortions due to socioeconomic reasons? Would it be fair to birth a child into poverty?
i hate people who have sex and then abort their child; this is YOUR responsibility. Its so evil ;( Even if its the 'situation' you think murdering your child is morally right??????
In regards to the first paragraph I've quoted - are you saying you are okay for me to kill another human if they cannot produce their own heartbeat (without artificial help) because, in your subjective eyes, a heartbeat is "one major factor" for "a human life"?

So following your reasoning, it's not morally wrong for me to kill a child with a pacemaker because he lacks one of the fundamental factors a human life requires. Cool.

In regards to the second quotation; good, good. A bit of backtracking. First, it was a heartbeat, now it's the potential value that dictates a life. Now we are getting somewhere. How do you measure value? Another subjective term here, I'm going to need more clarification. Left to its own natural processes, an embryo will develop into human life - what is greater potential than that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending