The Student Room Group

UPDATE: Huawei now unbanned. Huge news for Huawei phone owners / those considering it

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-huawei-tech-alphabet-exclusive-idUSKCN1SP0NB

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Alphabet Inc’s Google has suspended business with Huawei that requires the transfer of hardware and software products except those covered by open source licenses, a source close to the matter told Reuters on Sunday, in a blow to the Chinese technology company that the U.S. government has sought to blacklist around the world.

Huawei Technologies Co Ltd will immediately lose access to updates to the Android operating system, and the next version of its smartphones outside of China will also lose access to popular applications and services including the Google Play Store and Gmail app.

...Google will stop providing any technical support and collaboration for Android and Google services to Huawei going forward, the source said.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know many people with Huawei phones (in the UK). What do you think?

Are you worried that you won't get future Android updates?

Or that your Maps / Gmail app wouldn't work?

Will this put you off buying Huawei phones in the future?

Update 1 (20/5/19): Twitter @Android stated For Huawei users' questions regarding our steps to comply w/ the recent US government actions: We assure you while we are complying with all US gov't requirements, services like Google Play & security from Google Play Protect will keep functioning on your existing Huawei device.

Update 2 (29/6/19): As expected, Trump U-turns and allows Huawei to buy American again. However, the company remains on the "Entity List". (https://www.zdnet.com/article/president-trump-lifts-us-ban-on-huawei-at-g20-summit/) (https://www.androidauthority.com/breaking-huawei-allowed-to-do-business-with-us-companies-again-1004260/) (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-29/trump-says-he-ll-allow-china-s-huawei-to-buy-from-u-s-suppliers)

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Have I just created a duplicate thread 🤦*♂️
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5956452
Rip huawei
who’s going to buy their phones now? (except the Chinese of course)
Original post by watershower
Rip huawei
who’s going to buy their phones now? (except the Chinese of course)

Don't be like that.

They are a big company and they ought to find a solution.
wow, just wow
Reply 5
This is good news. Massively against Huawei electronics being part of everyday life in the "western world".

I suspect Huawei will find a solution and alternative but immediately it will hurt them and provide a lot of bad press.
Original post by 8472
This is good news. Massively against Huawei electronics being part of everyday life in the "western world".

I suspect Huawei will find a solution and alternative but immediately it will hurt them and provide a lot of bad press.

Why exactly are you against Huawei? :smile:
Why is this happening? Does anyone have any background/ELI5?
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Why is this happening? Does anyone have any background/ELI5?

Huawei have been a major player in the Asian markets for a number of years and recently started breaking into western markets, and have done especially well in Europe. This has led to them becoming the number 2 smartphone manufacturer worldwide in terms of sales behind Samsung, despite concerns over privacy and their relationship with the Chinese government. Between this public image and specific restrictions placed on Huawei by the US government, they have never gained traction in America and last year pulled out of the market entirely, although that hasn't impacted their relationship with Google, the American company from whom they license their chosen operating system, Google.

However earlier this week Trump declared a national emergency over security, effectively stopping US companies doing business with blacklisted companies that the government is calling "foreign adverserial companies", including Huawei. In response to this, Google have effectively cut ties with Huawei and will potentially no longer offer them hardware or software support or licenses for key elements of Android like Chrome and Gmail. The core Android operating system will remain available to Huawei as it's an open source software, but the loss of key Google services and simply this unofficial "backing" from Google is likely to severely impact their business in western markets, although whether that will be a making or outright killing it remains to be seen. Huawei's Chinese business, where Google services aren't used anyway, will remain unaffected and probably allow Huawei to survive as it always has in this market, but this action from Google is likely to knock them off the pedestal as a global player if European carriers cut ties with them.
(edited 4 years ago)
We should be very careful around Huawei, and not jump to them to build 5G infrastructure, glad tech companies are taking actions
I own a Huawei phone, but this is literally the reason I use a Samsung device as my second phone.

To be honest, I think Huawei will be able to strike a deal, Huawei is too big and makes too much money for Google to just up and leave, they will probably do everything they can to make a deal.

Personally, if I lose access to apps and all that, I would just use my Samsung phone, part of the reason for android is the freedom and (IMO) better stock applications.

It's going to hit their bottom line hard and I'm sure their share value will plummet, but they will recover tbh.
its a shame. I don't know about the spying - if true then that is awful and should be condemed.

But huawei as a company is a shinning example of how china has enabled new companies to compete and break into the established technology oligarchies, and one that a lot of Chinese companies have successfully followed, to the bennifit of all of us. I hope that they survive.

Obviously this wont effect thier main market, but I cant imagine anyone in an other country buying one any more.
Reply 12
Original post by CuriosityYay
Why exactly are you against Huawei? :smile:

They pose a security risk to our way of life. Yes US/EU companies work with western world governments doing similar questionable things... But the intention and long term risk potential is much less to "us".

In the simplest form. We would be more likely to go to war with China than the US. Would you want millions of people to have a smartphone in their pocket which is informing the Chinese government of so much information and prior to that having built up a mass over the years? There's other more subtle dangers in terms of changing the way the phone presents information. Huawei have their own skin on Android. Come election period for the UK the newsfeed and notifications can be used to sway the perception of people who own Huawei phones- working in the way of the Chinese government. There's numerous reasons and explanations of the dangers. Not often I support Trump but this is a good move. If only our Government were respective of GCHQs comments to disallow their hardware in our 5G Infrastructure.
Western Governments: "We need to get rid of Chinese technology because they will spy on us"

Also Western Goverments: *Uses secret back-channels and terrorism laws to spy on own citizens through their technology and communications*
Original post by 8472
They pose a security risk to our way of life. Yes US/EU companies work with western world governments doing similar questionable things... But the intention and long term risk potential is much less to "us".

In the simplest form. We would be more likely to go to war with China than the US. Would you want millions of people to have a smartphone in their pocket which is informing the Chinese government of so much information and prior to that having built up a mass over the years? There's other more subtle dangers in terms of changing the way the phone presents information. Huawei have their own skin on Android. Come election period for the UK the newsfeed and notifications can be used to sway the perception of people who own Huawei phones- working in the way of the Chinese government. There's numerous reasons and explanations of the dangers. Not often I support Trump but this is a good move. If only our Government were respective of GCHQs comments to disallow their hardware in our 5G Infrastructure.

For me as a non wester, in both cases my data is collected, so all I care about is the thousand dollar I paid for my mate 20 pro. 😑
Original post by 8472

I'm kind of divided on this. On the one hand, I'm extremely against the way China is ruled and the things that the regime gets away with and the meek compliance the West offers them in response. On the other, this is a shocking example of corporate monopolistic practises. Huawei offered a massive competitive challenger to the dominance of Apple/Samsung and Google's intervention only underlines how dominant they and Apple are in the global digital marketplace. Should we all really be so much at the mercy of just a few corporate executives in Palo Alto and San Jose?
Original post by Zamestaneh
Western Governments: "We need to get rid of Chinese technology because they will spy on us"

Also Western Goverments: *Uses secret back-channels and terrorism laws to spy on own citizens through their technology and communications*

We know for a fact that the NSA worked with Google and Apple to download and access vast amounts of ordinary user content under the Patriot Act, which they then applied massive scale data mining software to.

The US are about as trustworthy as China in terms of abusing their surveillance apparatus. In the past, the NSA has admitted for example that they used Cold War spying technology installed in the UK to provide confidential information to US corporations about the activities of European corporations.
America is like the big bully in school that is allowed to do everything (including the bad things) and no one else should question and if a boy does something bad then all the class is commanded not to deal with the bad boy (i.e. Sanctions)

This is in general and not specifically about the Huawei ban as it is for American companies.
I'm gutted tbh. I have a Huawei and it's far superior to any Samsung phone that I've ever had in the past.
Original post by MinaBee
I'm gutted tbh. I have a Huawei and it's far superior to any Samsung phone that I've ever had in the past.

Yes.

I mean charging my mate 20 pro from zero to 70% in 30 min is just killer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending