Freedom physics
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello, in the question a sock is being pushed around the walls of a drum of a spin dryer, please may you tell me why the resultant force at the top of the drum isn't = weight of the sock? 🙂

If I've not been specific enough, please tell me 🙂
Levi23317
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The resultant force is mv^2/R, which is equal to the weight normal contact force.
Last edited by Levi23317; 2 years ago
Freedom physics
Rep:
?
(Original post by Levi23317)
The resultant force is mv^2/R, which is equal to the weight - normal contact force.
But for an ideal situation, why is there a normal contact force? 🙂
tautologica
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There is always a normal contact force when an object is resting against another.
In that sort of case of circular motion, at the top the weight of an object contributes to the force acting toward the centre of the circle. This does not mean there isn't any normal contact force, but the force toward the centre of the circle must be greater than the normal contact force, so that the resultant (the weight of the sock minus the normal contact force) still acts toward the centre of the circle.
I don't know if that's helpful, but hopefully some of it is.
Freedom physics
Rep:
?
(Original post by tautologica)
There is always a normal contact force when an object is resting against another.
In that sort of case of circular motion, at the top the weight of an object contributes to the force acting toward the centre of the circle. This does not mean there isn't any normal contact force, but the force toward the centre of the circle must be greater than the normal contact force, so that the resultant (the weight of the sock minus the normal contact force) still acts toward the centre of the circle.
I don't know if that's helpful, but hopefully some of it is.
It's a bit helpful, although, why does the normal contract force act upwards? 🙂
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Freedom physics)
Hello, in the question a sock is being pushed around the walls of a drum of a spin dryer, please may you tell me why the resultant force at the top of the drum isn't = weight of the sock? 🙂

If I've not been specific enough, please tell me 🙂
Why resultant force need to be equal to the weight of the sock?

If the sock undergoes vertical circular motion, the resultant force is generally equal to the weight of the sock and the normal reaction of the sock.

When the sock is at the top of the circular motion, the normal force on the sock is toward the centre of the circle and the weight of the sock is also towards the centre of the circle.

But for an ideal situation, why is there a normal contact force? 🙂
Not sure what do you mean by ideal situation. To undergo vertical circular motion, the sock need to move at minimum speed. If the sock moves at such speed, the resultant force is equal to the weight of the sock where the normal contact force is zero.

It's a bit helpful, although, why does the normal contract force act upwards? 🙂
surferneil
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It doesn't, it acts downwards at the top of the spin. The unbalanced force is mv2/R but this equals mg plus the normal reaction.
So in theory the mv2/R could just be provided by mg if it is spinning at the perfect speed. In reality the drum will need to provide some reaction force to keep it moving in a circle if it is spinning any faster than this ideal.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.32%
Uncertainty around my education (65)
11.52%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.7%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13.3%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (32)
5.67%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (28)
4.96%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (60)
10.64%
Financial worries (35)
6.21%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (22)
3.9%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.03%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.66%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (56)
9.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (46)
8.16%

Watched Threads