Ocr: Russia and its rulers (y318) - 21st may Watch

chem17
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Anyone else doing this paper on Tuesday?

How are you feeling about it?

Predictions for the depth study/interpretations?

Predictions for thematic essays?

Questions? We can help each other out!

I’ll kick of with:

Feeling okay - although a bit worried about the thematic essays...

I reckon Khrushchev to be honest for the depth study.

Thematics: hmm, maybe economy or society + war + the empire?
Moleman4Ever
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree about Khrushchev for the depth study. Honestly don't feel great, my teacher seems to think Poland may come up for 1 thematic essay :/
Edit: Also, have no idea how to structure the depth studies. Advice?
Last edited by Moleman4Ever; 1 month ago
jake_wilkes177
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How to Answer a Depth Study Intro - Similarities between 2 passages Main difference in argument? Context of the Wider debateMBP1 - Eval of passage A Main View (maybe a quote) Key Arguments (2-3) Evaluation using own knowledge Positives and Negatives(When talking about Passage A, do not mention passage B and vice versa)MBP2 - ^^^^^^^^^Conc/Judgement -
djrnewton
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think topic 2 has to come up as it didn't last year, hoping topic 1 does too. Can also see Khrushchev coming up as the PG is the specimen paper and Alexander II was done last year
chem17
Rep:
?
(Original post by djrnewton)
I think topic 2 has to come up as it didn't last year, hoping topic 1 does too. Can also see Khrushchev coming up as the PG is the specimen paper and Alexander II was done last year
Agreed. Topic 2 has never been on the paper yet (of specimen, 2017, 2018)...Although it will probably be something hideous like freedoms...
chem17
Rep:
?
(Original post by Moleman4Ever)
I agree about Khrushchev for the depth study. Honestly don't feel great, my teacher seems to think Poland may come up for 1 thematic essay :/
Edit: Also, have no idea how to structure the depth studies. Advice?
Cripes I hope Poland doesn’t come up 😱
jake_wilkes177
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If a question came up on The economy what are the key points you would mention? Finance ministers??
djrnewton
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Freedoms is ok if you look at political, social and religious
(Original post by chem17)
Agreed. Topic 2 has never been on the paper yet (of specimen, 2017, 2018)...Although it will probably be something hideous like freedoms...
chem17
Rep:
?
Freedoms is ok if you look at political, social and religious
What would you do for that though? Social is fine, but what are the political/religious freedoms please?
djrnewton
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For political freedoms talk about the opposition, secret police, control, gulags etc. Then for social talk about economic freedoms, freedom of speech, basically all the stuff that's in the October Manifesto. Then for religious take the approach of looking at anti-religion policies. Alex II was pretty open to religion but Alex III and Nicholas II wasn't.
(Original post by chem17)
What would you do for that though? Social is fine, but what are the political/religious freedoms please?
chem17
Rep:
?
For political freedoms talk about the opposition, secret police, control, gulags etc. Then for social talk about economic freedoms, freedom of speech, basically all the stuff that's in the October Manifesto. Then for religious take the approach of looking at anti-religion policies. Alex II was pretty open to religion but Alex III and Nicholas II wasn't.
Thank you.

Does anyone have any information about the empire under the provisional government please? Or about Asian expansion?
jake_wilkes177
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Screwed if anything comes up on workers tomorrow? Key events for the workers please?
chem17
Rep:
?
How did people find it?
blue28
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thematic essays went well though stuck for time, bit more rushed than I'd have liked. Passage question, although a good question, I didn't quite know what to write for the second passage and so that one was a disaster. How did you find it?
Raucousnews
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by blue28)
Thematic essays went well though stuck for time, bit more rushed than I'd have liked. Passage question, although a good question, I didn't quite know what to write for the second passage and so that one was a disaster. How did you find it?
Personally I liked the interpretation question, I feel like they could have been a lot more mean so it was nice to have that. As for the thematic I thought the opposition question was nice and the other one I did was the one on the Russo-Japanese War which was okay-ish but I found it harder because it specified the peasantry and I would have prefered something on nature of government.

Overall though, I guess it was okay, didn't feel at any point like I didn't have enough knowledge.
blue28
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree. Opposition question went really well for me but the Russo-Japanese one was a bit meh. Don't think I did very good synthesis in that one at all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.31%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (102)
35.05%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (62)
21.31%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.62%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.71%

Watched Threads