SHM Energy considerations pendulum Watch

RussianQuestion
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi everyone, this shows the energy changes in a pendulum when it is undergoing SHM. I don't understand why they are opting for EPE here. Surely the tension (and thus EPE) is greatest at the equilibrium point?
Also, what has happened to the gravitational potential energy of the mass? This doesn't seem to be considered at all.
Sonicalireza
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Usually I think the string is assumed to be light and inelastic so EPE shouldn’t matter. I find it unusual how it seems to be talking about EPE and 1/2kx^2 rather than mgh (GPE),which the table would be right for if it was for GPE.

Also, the GPE is max at the highest points and is transferred into KE, which is then transferred back to GPE when the pendulum goes back up.

Hopefully this helps.
Teenie2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Figure 1 is about the pendulum. The writing below it is about a mass oscillating on a spring is this maybe causing a bit of confusion?
In figure 1, the maximum potential energy is mgh where h is the difference in height between points x and y. When the pendulum is at x, its energy is all potential and equals mgh. At y, this has all converted to kinetic energy of 0.5mv2 where v is the velocity at y (and where v is at its maximum). At z it has all changed back to potential energy again.
RussianQuestion
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Thank you both, yes, I realised that the image and the text below are talking about completely different things!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (449)
18.96%
The paper was reasonable (1105)
46.66%
Not feeling great about that exam... (520)
21.96%
It was TERRIBLE (294)
12.42%

Watched Threads