Report 1 month ago
No.
xDron3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, what if they didn't want to vote?

Forcing someone isn't democratic either so it's a ridiculous idea.
Kinyonga
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As above said, it's hardly democratic to force someone to vote.
And it wouldn't have resolved anything considering the amount of lies each side had flying around at the time.
ColinDent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by obama'slefthand)
yes as it is domething that will effect us all also the boundaries shouldve been lowered to teens
Teens could vote, and the age limit is perfectly fine as it is.
umbrellala
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Personally don't think mandatory voting is ever appropriate. If you're forcing the people who didn't want to to vote then how do you know their vote is representative of their feelings? If I didn't want to vote I'd probably just throw a cross in any old box and that doesn't tell the government anything, in fact it just skews the results and makes people's genuine views less represented. If people weren't going to be bothered in the first place then I doubt they'd bother doing their research and make an informed decision.
Student-95
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Of course not. We already have too many people voting who have no idea what they're voting on. How informed do you think the ones who can't be bothered to get to a polling station are?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Referee
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, obviously not.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Student-95)
Of course not. We already have too many people voting who have no idea what they're voting on.
I know right. Those silly remainers actually thought they'd win. Hahhaa. :hahaha:

Now, OP...tell me what mathematical difference you think forcing people to vote would make...I assure you Leavers would have won an even further majority, as people with Leave mentality are either not allowed, not able to vote, or simply cba because they are "woke" about the establishment and didn't want to waste their time. Remainers aint woke, that's why they fall for stupidness. So I assure you those scragglers who didn't vote are leavers :P
Other_Owl
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
I know right. Those silly remainers actually thought they'd win. Hahhaa. :hahaha:

Now, OP...tell me what mathematical difference you think forcing people to vote would make...I assure you Leavers would have won an even further majority, as people with Leave mentality are either not allowed, not able to vote, or simply cba because they are "woke" about the establishment and didn't want to waste their time. Remainers aint woke, that's why they fall for stupidness. So I assure you those scragglers who didn't vote are leavers :P
I'm not siding here.
Obviously the youth vote would increase (25% turnout) it certainly would not achieve 100% turnout.
In return more spoilt ballots. It would be a very close call between Remain Vs Leave. 1 or 2% increase.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Other_Owl)
I'm not siding here.
Obviously the youth vote would increase (25% turnout) it certainly would not achieve 100% turnout.
In return more spoilt ballots. It would be a very close call between Remain Vs Leave. 1 or 2% increase.
lmao haha and how did u come to this conclusion eh..?

also "youth vote"...youth means underage. that's not even legal haha. mandatory voting would mean, those who are eligible would have to, because even in your world of make believe law still has to apply...though I'm not sure how this mandate nor the penalties for not voting would be enforced lol.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Other_Owl)
I'm not siding here.
And what do you propose happen to those who would still choose not to vote in this situation, send them to gulags?
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
And what do you propose happen to those who would still choose not to vote in this situation, send them to gulags?
Surely transport them to Australia, where voting is mandatory.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Surely transport them to Australia, where voting is mandatory.
Well they are all convicts 🤣🤣🤣
To be fair they only have to vote in 1 in every 4 elections.
Other_Owl
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
lmao haha and how did u come to this conclusion eh..?

also "youth vote"...youth means underage. that's not even legal haha. mandatory voting would mean, those who are eligible would have to, because even in your world of make believe law still has to apply...though I'm not sure how this mandate nor the penalties for not voting would be enforced lol.
18-24 treated as the youth vote.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm fine with mandatory voting.. as long as the top option on the ballot is "none of the bellow"

You can't give people choice, but not give them the choice to say "none of what you are offering me"

Its a bit more tricky in the referndum of course, because on the surface of it, what is the third option other then yes and no... probably "I don't agree with the way the question is being asked"
Student-95
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
I'm fine with mandatory voting.. as long as the top option on the ballot is "none of the bellow"

You can't give people choice, but not give them the choice to say "none of what you are offering me"

Its a bit more tricky in the referndum of course, because on the surface of it, what is the third option other then yes and no... probably "I don't agree with the way the question is being asked"
The option would just be 'abstain', which is the same as not voting anyway so it's a waste of time.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The option would just be 'abstain', which is the same as not voting anyway so it's a waste of time.
I would prefer the none of the below option and for it to count, if then it were to win then it should render the election null and void and all the parties would have to go and rethink their manifesto's, perhaps with a 1 time limit for the rerun of the election.
That might sharpen all the parties minds as to what the electorate actually want
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's not the same, a rejection of the other options isn't the same as abstaining. Imagine it in simple numbers:
Currently
11 people could vote:
5 abstain/don't bother to vote
4 vote x
2 vote y
X is the winner

What I want:
11 people must vote
5 vote for none of the bellow/re-run
4 vote x
2 vote y

None of the above wins, the election must be re-run, parties cannon submit the same manifesto/leader combination a second time.

--

It opens the option that If the majority of the people dislike all the options then new options must be found. Rather then now, where your just forced to pick the least-worst option
Last edited by fallen_acorns; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who do you think will be the next PM?

Boris Johnson (191)
73.18%
Jeremy Hunt (70)
26.82%

Watched Threads