Should I choose one more European language to learn?

Watch this thread
ZiyueTao
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, I am currently in Form 4 and I am thinking about studying modern languages at uni. So now I am doing Spanish IGCSE but I was told that it is better to study two European languages for A-levels if I want to study languages at uni. Is it possible to learn a language to GCSE level in one year(Form 5) and so I can do it for A-level? Plus, my school provides French and German for A-levels, but I live in a Greek-speaking country so I also have lots of resources for learning modern Greek. Which language should I choose?

Thanks for any advice!
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
It's always a great idea to learn extra languages if you have the time and ability. Might be useful one day, and it helps cross reference things for universal language learning, hopefully

My friend has got in to a nice UK university speaking Italian and French, but he's studying Japanese.
I think he was only required to have studied one "foreign language" as part of his Modern Languages application.

Your 'ambiental' Greek, it's certainly worth proving that you can speak/write it by doing an IGCSE in your social/home language, even if you don't formally study it, I live in Italy and it is quite common for some of the children here to do exams at the British Council in Milan, in Italian at GCSE or 'A'-level, just as an extra 'win'
ZiyueTao
Rep:
Actually, I have just moved to the Greek-speaking country so I don't really know any Greek...
But thank you so much for your reply! It really encouraged me!
(Original post by LuigiMario)
It's always a great idea to learn extra languages if you have the time and ability. Might be useful one day, and it helps cross reference things for universal language learning, hopefully

My friend has got in to a nice UK university speaking Italian and French, but he's studying Japanese.
I think he was only required to have studied one "foreign language" as part of his Modern Languages application.

Your 'ambiental' Greek, it's certainly worth proving that you can speak/write it by doing an IGCSE in your social/home language, even if you don't formally study it, I live in Italy and it is quite common for some of the children here to do exams at the British Council in Milan, in Italian at GCSE or 'A'-level, just as an extra 'win'
umbrellala
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ZiyueTao)
Hi, I am currently in Form 4 and I am thinking about studying modern languages at uni. So now I am doing Spanish IGCSE but I was told that it is better to study two European languages for A-levels if I want to study languages at uni. Is it possible to learn a language to GCSE level in one year(Form 5) and so I can do it for A-level? Plus, my school provides French and German for A-levels, but I live in a Greek-speaking country so I also have lots of resources for learning modern Greek. Which language should I choose?

Thanks for any advice!
If you want to do two languages (although I don't think it's usually required) then my best advice would be do the language you're most interested in and have the most motivation to study. I assume you're planning on self-teaching during form 5? If you dedicate enough time to it (which will have to be a lot) and are able to practice with native speakers, then that should be enough time to get to GCSE level. Because you obviously have access to a lot of Greek speakers, it might make studying Greek easier, but if you want to do 2 A-Level languages then it seems like it would be a bit of a waste of time considering your school doesn't offer it. At the end of the day, whichever language you like most is the one you're most likely to do well in so go for that one
ZiyueTao
Rep:
Thank you for your advice, it's really helpful
(Original post by umbrellala)
If you want to do two languages (although I don't think it's usually required) then my best advice would be do the language you're most interested in and have the most motivation to study. I assume you're planning on self-teaching during form 5? If you dedicate enough time to it (which will have to be a lot) and are able to practice with native speakers, then that should be enough time to get to GCSE level. Because you obviously have access to a lot of Greek speakers, it might make studying Greek easier, but if you want to do 2 A-Level languages then it seems like it would be a bit of a waste of time considering your school doesn't offer it. At the end of the day, whichever language you like most is the one you're most likely to do well in so go for that one
Largest Bob
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
think you should learn Estonian.
(Original post by ZiyueTao)

Thanks for any advice!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads