OCR B A level 2019 Watch

maths_2001
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
OCR B PHYSICS 20TH MAY 2019

Thoughts on todays paper? Any unofficial mark schemes, or does anyone remember any questions/answers and we can start one?
OFEY
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Found this harder than the specimen papers and last year's paper. The radius of the orbit around the black hole baffled me. I reckon that this year was tougher but not as hard as it could be. Just waiting for paper 2 on Friday...
maths_2001
Rep:
?
Yeah I found it really hard too!
Any idea what you were meant to write for the circuit 6 mark question?
(Original post by OFEY)
Found this harder than the specimen papers and last year's paper. The radius of the orbit around the black hole baffled me. I reckon that this year was tougher but not as hard as it could be. Just waiting for paper 2 on Friday...
OFEY
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I just did the usual "connect voltmeter in parallel ammeter in series blah blah" in a potential divider set up with a fixed resistor with known R
and to change the light intensity by moving a lamp closer too\further away

but I'm glad I'm not the only once that found it a trying paper
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by OFEY; 1 month ago
maths_2001
Rep:
?
I did similar so that’s good!
If you find an unofficial mark scheme let me know, would like to see how I did in the rest of the paper
(Original post by OFEY)
I just did the usual "connect voltmeter in parallel ammeter in series blah blah" in a potential divider set up with a fixed resistor with known R
and to change the light intensity by moving a lamp closer too\further away

but I'm glad I'm not the only once that found it a trying paper
Sherbertlemons0
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For the one with the two charged plates and you had to do some calculation about the electron, I forgot the exact question but I remember something about one plat being 120V and another being 40V, did you have to do 120-40?
Also, the one with the ball being thrown off the cliff, was it something like 3.4m for R? then 13.4ms for the throw to reach 3R?
Last edited by Sherbertlemons0; 1 month ago
Archie2401
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i got 24 for the range and the part ii
maths_2001
Rep:
?
Yeah you had to do 120-40 and then you did F = Vq/d I think

For the suvat cliff one I also got 24m
(Original post by Sherbertlemons0)
For the one with the two charged plates and you had to do some calculation about the electron, I forgot the exact question but I remember something about one plat being 120V and another being 40V, did you have to do 120-40?
Also, the one with the ball being thrown off the cliff, was it something like 3.4m for R? then 13.4ms for the throw to reach 3R?
Fallere235
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sherbertlemons0)
1) Yes, 120-40
2) nop and nop. try 24m and 24ms-1

Question of my own, on that "show black hole is 4 million times mass of sun" question, how d'ya get there? I got 2 million in the end, by using KE = Egrav and cancelling out little M.

so rearrange that to get 0.5Rv^2 divided by G = M

worked out v by using the fact orbital period was 33y, and we solved for R in the last question.
Peterjonesy_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i got the same
Peterjonesy_
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Archie2401)
i got 24 for the range and the part ii
i got the same
Peterjonesy_
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Fallere235)
1) Yes, 120-40

Question of my own, on that "show black hole is 4 million times mass of sun" question, how d'ya get there? I got 2 million in the end, by using KE = Egrav and cancelling out little M.

worked out v by using the fact orbital period was 33y, and we solved for R in the last question.
there was no 0.5 ? the equation u work out is v=root((GM/r)) so becomes (V^2*R)/G this half would explain how u only got half the multiplier
Archie2401
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Fallere235)
1) Yes, 120-40

if you used the actual radius you get 4.11x10^6 times larger
OFEY
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
how did people solve the first part of the orbit around the black hole??
MysteryVader
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I got the black hole one, you use centripetal force = Gravitational force (technically the KE not necessarily equal to the Gravity). So mv^2/r = GMm/r^2

Rearrange and you get M = rv^2/G Find v by doing v = 2piR/T as they have given you the time period. I feel like they should have given more marks for that cuz it was a hella long calculation. But for people who didn't get it, you didn't lose that many marks.

I didn't get the one about the nuclear fusion, the part about density and lasers. If you go to the last page of the textbook, there is something about Inertial confinement fusion but no detailed calculations (it is part of the extension so it is a bit unfair that they went into so much detail)
OFEY
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MysteryVader)
I got the black hole one, you use centripetal force = Gravitational force (technically the KE not necessarily equal to the Gravity). So mv^2/r = GMm/r^2

Rearrange and you get M = rv^2/G Find v by doing v = 2piR/T as they have given you the time period. I feel like they should have given more marks for that cuz it was a hella long calculation. But for people who didn't get it, you didn't lose that many marks.

I didn't get the one about the nuclear fusion, the part about density and lasers. If you go to the last page of the textbook, there is something about Inertial confinement fusion but no detailed calculations (it is part of the extension so it is a bit unfair that they went into so much detail)
in your opinion do you think the grade boundaries will be less than normal?? 60% for an A kinda thing?
MysteryVader
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by OFEY)
in your opinion do you think the grade boundaries will be less than normal?? 60% for an A kinda thing?
Lol can't say tbf there were tricky bits, the second 6 marker wasn't great. If I were to make a comparison with last year's paper I think the grade boundaries should be the same (maybe higher you never know...) I think it was 81 for an A*? You could check the A grade boundaries.
OFEY
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I completed the 2018 paper as a mock and scored 83/110 and found it relatively easy. In comparison I found this one very tough
maths_2001
Rep:
?
Yeah I think the same, everyone I know came out and thought it was a lot harder than the 2018 paper.
I expect grade boundaries will be lower for this paper
(Original post by OFEY)
I completed the 2018 paper as a mock and scored 83/110 and found it relatively easy. In comparison I found this one very tough
OFEY
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by maths_2001)
Yeah I think the same, everyone I know came out and thought it was a lot harder than the 2018 paper.
I expect grade boundaries will be lower for this paper
fingers crossed 🤞
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.31%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (102)
35.05%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (62)
21.31%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.62%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.71%

Watched Threads