The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by lollypenguin
Did anyone talk about the comt and sert genes for the neural one?

No coz that’s a genetic explanation. But could be relevant if you link to neurotransmitters
Original post by TellMeWhy123232
In each paper?

I swear last year you could drop around 24 marks per paper and come out with an A*
i asked my teacher about marks for plans, she said unless you've made a clear point in the plan (basically written a sentence) then they're unlikely to mark it :/
Original post by peachalamet
i ran out of time to talk about romanian orphans! hopefully they see it in my plan and give an extra mark loooool:wink:
Yeah that's a good point to make. I also talked about Schaffer and Emmerson; the fact that the love quiz was correlational (can't establish cause and effect); and the love quiz sample can be criticised.
Original post by Duke of York
For the attachment 16 marker, I spoke about harlow's monkeys, is that ok? I know it said childhood development but I wasn't too sure what else to say...
I put that as well
Original post by Duke of York
For the attachment 16 marker, I spoke about harlow's monkeys, is that ok? I know it said childhood development but I wasn't too sure what else to say...
Reply 185
I put that too!
My teacher said that's a valid answer so long as you link it to economic implications
Original post by amiraayy1
For the economy one I said that Fields findings that the fathers role is important could mean more paternity leave for fathers? This could have a negative implication on the economy due to inconsistent working and extended leave? Would this be accepted do you think?
Reply 186
what was the answer for
why the researcher should use a case study and not a questionnaire?
Could you mention Bowlby and the 44 thieves in the attachment 16 marker?
I wrote about Bowlby’s monotropic theory, maternal deprivation and Romanian orphan studies as the research for the attachment question. I’m guessing I got that wrong then 😬 I did mention the internal working model so hopefully it’s not all bad
I guess it would if you actually wrote about the study because it is pretty much what the question is asking, although it doesnt rlly matter considering if they don't count it as AO1, they would just make it AO3 marks, which you get more of anyway.
Did you write anything about the Love Quiz as AO1??
Original post by Yasmin555
Could you use maternal deprivation as the A01 If you used the 44 thieves research to back up your points would that make sense in relation to the question
y
Original post by BEON22
I swear last year you could drop around 24 marks per paper and come out with an A*

you need roughly 75% in each paper or 214 marks overall to get an A* according to last years grade boundaries
Because they were looking for an in depth study of one person, not a general study of many people. Also case studies involve interviews which allow the patient to elaborate, whereas qeustionaires, especially those with closed questions provide limited info
Original post by zxop
what was the answer for
Original post by EHJones
y

you need roughly 75% in each paper or 214 marks overall to get an A* according to last years grade boundaries

That’s pretty decent for some in class tests (we did paper 2 from last year) I ended up getting 66 out of 94 or whatever and I ended up getting a D so that’s decent
Neural explanations - serotonin levels are low, evidence comes from use of SSRI's, dopamine increase -- both hard to establish cause and effect.
Original post by tbur07
psychopathology last question???

Original post by Yasmin555
For the 16 marker in attachment could you talk about maternal deprivation and link it too childhood attachments and later life relationships by using the 44 thieves study?

Thats what I put so hopefully...!
i said that you'll get a lot more in depth and rich data from a case study that shows patient x's subjective experiences and a sample of 1 is too small for a questionnaire anyway
Original post by zxop
what was the answer for
I didn’t wrote about the love quiz as A01 my A01 was all about maternal deprivation and 44 thieves and my A03: was about internal working model support this and about validity of bowlbys research and something else which I can’t remember right now 😂
Original post by ollie_p9
I guess it would if you actually wrote about the study because it is pretty much what the question is asking, although it doesnt rlly matter considering if they don't count it as AO1, they would just make it AO3 marks, which you get more of anyway.
Did you write anything about the Love Quiz as AO1??
01: Explain the reasons for resistance to social influence. (4)

Give 2 marks for each explanation. Reasons can include explanations of:
•Social support, easier to dissent with group influence.
•Locus of control, high internal locus of control
•Authoritarian personality, easier for people to disobey group pressure.

Calculate the ratio of smokers to non smokers in 2017 (2)

1 mark for calculating 5:35
2 marks for calculating 1:7

What statistical test can be used for calculating the significance of this data. Include three reasons why (4)

Allow 1 Mark for correct test written
Allow 1 Mark for each of 3 correct reasons. Allow incorrect test type if other correct reasons but cap at 2 marks. Cap at 2 marks if correct reasons but incorrect test written:

•Use unrelated t-test (1)
•Type of data: Ratio (1)
•Type of design: Independent groups (1)
•Test type: Test of difference (1)

OR

•Chi Square (1)
•nominal data (1)
•Independent groups (1)
•Test of difference (1)

Explain how the process of social change has reduced the number of smokers between 1987 and 2017 (6)

Use the information in the core above the question to gain (2) application marks. Provision of one or more clear and accurate explanation of the process of social change. This can include

•Minority influence using commitment, consistency and flexibility to initiate social change.
•Moscovici’s conversion theory, attention to problem, cognitive conflict, snowball effect
•Augmentation principle: sacrifice for the cause, attention, snowball effect, example given

Discuss ethical issues of research into social influence (8)

Evaluation points can include methodological evaluation if linked to ethics. 2 marks for each explanation, 3 marks if extended and comprehensive evaluation point including a counter argument. A different ethical issue should be discussed with each example of research given.

Ethical issues include:
* Deception was used
Can be countered by debrief
* Confidentiality breached
* Lack of consent
Countered by methods such as presumptive or prior general consent
* Right to withdraw hampered

Studies referred to can include any social influence study as long as there is an ethical evaluation. Common studies include:
•Asch’s line study
•Milgram’s study of obedience
•Jennes jellybean study
•Sherif’s light study
•Zimbardo’s prison study
•Moscovici’s shades of blue study

Original post by studyr
Social Influence

Resistance to social influence = LOC (High internal) and Social Support from obedience or conformity.
Ratio - 1:7
Test - Chi-squared because unrelated, independent groups and nominal data.
Social Change and smoking - Drawing attention, commitment, deeper processing, snowball, social crypotomnesia. Must make link to stem.
Discuss ethical issues of research into social influence - ao3 but ethical of either zimbardo, asch or Milgram

Memory
A & E
Evaluations of cognitive interview - Milne & Bull, cost, time-consuming etc.. (kinda got stuck here loool)
MSM but AO2 - Link to stem and talk about MSM can get a mark for diagram and evaluations can be oversimplifies LTM, STM and LTM are separate i dont think artificial would apply cause it's about real life material idk

Attachment
Role of the father findings - schaffer & emerson's, grossman or field
Economy and Role of father - assures mothers to leave their child with fathers cause it wont affect emotional development so less money company pays for maternitiy leave which helps economy
Influence of early attachment on child and/or adult relationships - IMW Bowlby, Hazan and Shaver love quiz or myron-wilson and smith for childhood. Ao3 - temperament, culture, pessimistic etc.

Psychopathology -
behavioural characteristic of depression - disruption to sleep and eating and reduced activity level
agoraphobia and the 3 definitions of abnormality - could use all but link to stem
two process model limitation - no clue mind went blank
case study question - missed it cause timingggggg
neural explanations of ocd - low level serotonin, prefrontal cortex and hoarding, left parahippocampul gyrus and OCD
eva = serotonin-ocd link no unique cause depression

feel free to add or correct
Original post by Amber2500
Could you mention Bowlby and the 44 thieves in the attachment 16 marker?

No dont think so. The question was to do with attachment and future relationships. If you talked about Bowlbys internal working model you would get some marks but dont think the 44thieves study was relevant. I might be completely wrong though...
How did you do ethical evaluations? I don't get the ao3 aspect of this question

Original post by Scarlotte1135
01: Explain the reasons for resistance to social influence. (4)

Give 2 marks for each explanation. Reasons can include explanations of:
•Social support, easier to dissent with group influence.
•Locus of control, high internal locus of control
•Authoritarian personality, easier for people to disobey group pressure.

Calculate the ratio of smokers to non smokers in 2017 (2)

1 mark for calculating 5:35
2 marks for calculating 1:7

What statistical test can be used for calculating the significance of this data. Include three reasons why (4)

Allow 1 Mark for correct test written
Allow 1 Mark for each of 3 correct reasons. Allow incorrect test type if other correct reasons but cap at 2 marks. Cap at 2 marks if correct reasons but incorrect test written:

•Use unrelated t-test (1)
•Type of data: Ratio (1)
•Type of design: Independent groups (1)
•Test type: Test of difference (1)

OR

•Chi Square (1)
•nominal data (1)
•Independent groups (1)
•Test of difference (1)

Explain how the process of social change has reduced the number of smokers between 1987 and 2017 (6)

Use the information in the core above the question to gain (2) application marks. Provision of one or more clear and accurate explanation of the process of social change. This can include

•Minority influence using commitment, consistency and flexibility to initiate social change.
•Moscovici’s conversion theory, attention to problem, cognitive conflict, snowball effect
•Augmentation principle: sacrifice for the cause, attention, snowball effect, example given

Discuss ethical issues of research into social influence (8)

Evaluation points can include methodological evaluation if linked to ethics. 2 marks for each explanation, 3 marks if extended and comprehensive evaluation point including a counter argument. A different ethical issue should be discussed with each example of research given.

Ethical issues include:
* Deception was used
Can be countered by debrief
* Confidentiality breached
* Lack of consent
Countered by methods such as presumptive or prior general consent
* Right to withdraw hampered

Studies referred to can include any social influence study as long as there is an ethical evaluation. Common studies include:
•Asch’s line study
•Milgram’s study of obedience
•Jennes jellybean study
•Sherif’s light study
•Zimbardo’s prison study
•Moscovici’s shades of blue study
Reply 199
For The Ratio Question, i put 7:1 as 1:7 just didn’t seem right to me... I know for sure i’ll Get at least 1/2 marks but would that be an acceptable answer for 2 marks or are 1:7 and 7:1 different?
Also, for the Economical implications I put a rise in toy sales as fathers now know the importance of quality play with their infant (Grossman), would that be okay?

Latest

Trending

Trending