Tips to improve my English literature A-level writing style/technique?

Watch
Luca101
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So for the past 2 years I've always been hovering around 14/25 for my english literature essays. I'm going to write a sample paragraph and would you be able to tell me what I'm doing wrong in this paragraph and how I could improve?

Question: How do the other characters react to Othello’s skin color or to the fact that he is a Moor?

Like Iago, many other characters in the play refer to Othellos race to demean him. Iago’s racist attitude appears to rub off on characters he is ‘close’ to as Roderigo casually names Othello “the thick-lips” which is said in attempt to undermine Othellos achievements with a cheap racial stereotype. Brabantio, outraged at his daughters relationship with ‘the moor’ proceeds to exclaim how there are many white venetian men who would be better suited to her than Othello’s “sooty bosom”. Brabantio channels his inner insecurities he has with desdmonas lack of obedience through Othello’s race, even to go as far as to suggest that Desdemona is under the influence of Othello’s witchcraft, perhaps a reference to king Henrys accusation in 1536 claiming his wife Anne Boleyn seduced him using her witchcraft.
mimimoomoo7
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
To me it seems as if you're just retelling the play? I mean you've embedded quotes well but I think what could help you is if you focus sharply on ao2 (language analysis) and explain the significance of each quote.
For example, I would've picked up on the fact that Iago rarely ever refers to Othello by name, instead calling him 'the Moor' so maybe you could focus on the significance of the noun Moor and how it furthers his 'outsider' status. Or when Iago tells Brabantio that 'a black ram is tupping your white ewe': you could say that the noun 'ram' has feral connotations and the use of the binary opposites of black and white instil the fear of miscegenation into Brabantio. Also (can't remember the exact scene rip) when Brabantio assumes Othello has 'practised on her with foul charms, abused her delicate youth etc' But yea, the marks for ao2 form a higher percentage compared to context and ao1, plus context doesn't need to be used too much so if you properly analyse each quote and write coherently, I think you'll be fine? I usually get between 17-20/25 on my essays so I hope this helps! good luck for Thursday
(Original post by Luca101)
So for the past 2 years I've always been hovering around 14/25 for my english literature essays. I'm going to write a sample paragraph and would you be able to tell me what I'm doing wrong in this paragraph and how I could improve?

Question: How do the other characters react to Othello’s skin color or to the fact that he is a Moor?

Like Iago, many other characters in the play refer to Othellos race to demean him. Iago’s racist attitude appears to rub off on characters he is ‘close’ to as Roderigo casually names Othello “the thick-lips” which is said in attempt to undermine Othellos achievements with a cheap racial stereotype. Brabantio, outraged at his daughters relationship with ‘the moor’ proceeds to exclaim how there are many white venetian men who would be better suited to her than Othello’s “sooty bosom”. Brabantio channels his inner insecurities he has with desdmonas lack of obedience through Othello’s race, even to go as far as to suggest that Desdemona is under the influence of Othello’s witchcraft, perhaps a reference to king Henrys accusation in 1536 claiming his wife Anne Boleyn seduced him using her witchcraft.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (144)
4.86%
Uncertainty around my education (436)
14.71%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (333)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (412)
13.9%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (138)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (180)
6.07%
Loneliness (255)
8.61%
Financial worries (109)
3.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (121)
4.08%
Exposure to negative news/social media (135)
4.56%
Lack of real life entertainment (159)
5.37%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (261)
8.81%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (280)
9.45%

Watched Threads