The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Page 10 of what book ?

I done that question, yes.
I done Of Mice and Men last year, no longer have the book but I'm curious now lol whats on page 10?
Reply 3
arghhhh i had a weird feeling that somefin like dat will be there buh neva trusted the feeling!! >:frown:
Reply 4
What's on page 10?? Ahhhh lol
Reply 5
yeah me too...

my book didn't have any notes in.
Reply 6
basically, it gives you a paragraph (~150 words) on why each character was important etc.....
Reply 7
Ohh I see.
I never ever look at my books after an exam. It just makes me see what I have missed. I learnt that in GCSEs.
surely your books arent allowed any annotation or notes in - therefore must be standard books - not foreward etc

when i did mine last year we werent allowed books - so we were told to remember 5 quotes for each character that said something about his/her personality
Which exam board is this please?
Huh?
How did you get books in the exam?
WJEC had to do a novel and a play, and we aren't allowed to take the books in with us, so we have to remember all the quotes.

Pfft... AQA. Fools. :frown:
Reply 11
it was AQA and we went in with a clean copy of the text and our anthology on our desk when we got in.
no no no no

It is ONE paragraph on a character!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exam boards know what are in books, especially the ones they recommend and expect a lot more from a candidate.

In the exam, you are expected to 'back-up' what you say and offer a deeper insight into the character.

-------------------------

The same can be said for a periodic table in a chemistry exam and that that is 'cheating' when in fact you actually only ever need to make references to it.
Reply 13
Surely AQA would realise this and the douchebags/smart arses who just copied the paragraphs would get poor marks?

Or am I just being optimistic in their abilities? Nahh, not possible, I bloody love AQA.
Reply 14
i know, but that one paragraph covered a lot of things, and you could yourself look at it deeper, i doubt some of the examiners havent read Of Mice and Men before anyway, they ahve to know 8 novels, they cant know them in that much detail, therefore relying on you to explain it to them.
theno1
i know, but that one paragraph covered a lot of things, and you could yourself look at it deeper, i doubt some of the examiners havent read Of Mice and Men before anyway, they ahve to know 8 novels, they cant know them in that much detail, therefore relying on you to explain it to them.

If you are saying what I think you are, then its absolute bloody rubbish. Stop talking out of your arse.
Yes they have studied them.
They have at least an undergraduate degree under their belt and "Of Mice and Men" is, tbh, doesn't involve much complexity.
Charlurr
Surely AQA would realise this and the douchebags/smart arses who just copied the paragraphs would get poor marks?

Or am I just being optimistic in their abilities? Nahh, not possible, I bloody love AQA.

Of course they will !
They recommend the books, CD-ROMS, websites etc.... to be used.
They have read thousands of the same essay topic and can spot someone bluffing.
I disagree, OMAM is a highly complex book. Its just the markers have a little thing they like to call a mark scheme in front of them! TBH having a paragraph on a character is pretty crappy. You should be more than prepared for any question such as this (they always come up) if you intend on doing well. I had things like this in my books way back when. I didnt use them, becuase frankly what was in my head was far better.
Reply 18
yer, i agree martin..

i didnt notice these ntoes till after the exam, i suppose its better using my own vocab, etc... because, it flows more and feels fresh, it was quite re-assuring to realise that i wrote about similair things as the notes..

OMAM is complex, otherwise it would be so adored all over the world..
John Steinbeck is seen as a hero in terms of writing in America...

if the examiners had such good knowledge of all the books, then they wouldnt be marking english essays, would they..
OMAM - oh please ... the themes, characters, settings & social/historical significance are all easy - I can write it out all now!

MacBeth is "highly complex" ... OMAM is baby food.

Anyway, having a list of characteristics may be all good - but so is a calculator in a maths exam - if you don't know the significance of certain things and how it fits with themes etc ... etc ... your ****ed!

In the exam, the only reason you should open the book is for quotes - even then I got to be very familiar with them - you haven't got to read paragraphs!

And questions are never so simple as to "tell us what Lennie is like" ...

Latest