Desktop and Chromebook or gaming laptop Watch

Maxwell Edison
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I already have a powerful Desktop at home. I simply want to know weather I should bring it with me to Uni and get a Chromebook, or just sell it and get a gaming laptop as this would be easier to take there and back home again. I don't know how many people do take full size desktops to Uni, and I relay don't know if it would be possible or worth it, I just enjoy a bigger screen, a mechanical keyboard and powerful games etc. Would really love some advice thanks. (Studding biology at UEA.)
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Desktop, gaming laptops are garbage mostly. I'm building a new one, my university just told me I do not need a laptop if I prefer note taking by hand.
Acsel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Maxwell Edison)
I already have a powerful Desktop at home. I simply want to know weather I should bring it with me to Uni and get a Chromebook, or just sell it and get a gaming laptop as this would be easier to take there and back home again. I don't know how many people do take full size desktops to Uni, and I relay don't know if it would be possible or worth it, I just enjoy a bigger screen, a mechanical keyboard and powerful games etc. Would really love some advice thanks. (Studding biology at UEA.)
Quite simply the laptop is never going to compare to the desktop.

Laptops do precisely one thing well compared to desktops and that's portability. Literally any other meaningful comparison and a desktop will win. If you really want the portability, then realistically you need a laptop. But if you don't absolutely, 100% need portability then the trade offs aren't worth it. Desktops are simply better value for money in both the short and long term.

The vast majority of students simply don't need to take a laptop to class. If you need a machine, odds are you'll have access to it. If you don't, then the laptop becomes a "nice to have" rather than a necessity. And you've already acknowledged that you're willing to buy a cheap Chromebook which makes the idea of selling a desktop to buy a gaming laptop even less sensible. If you can do without gaming for the few weeks at Christmas and Easter you may go home (or can find a way to transport your desktop) then don't waste your time or money trying to get a gaming laptop. Literally everything about your current experience will degrade.
Maxwell Edison
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
OK, Thanks, that's very helpful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (207)
32.55%
The paper was reasonable (312)
49.06%
Not feeling great about that exam... (72)
11.32%
It was TERRIBLE (45)
7.08%

Watched Threads