The Student Room Group

Wanna study medicine but im too dumb

So I do maths bio chem and am in year 12 and have just had my end of years. Bio and chem were decent and I think I can get predicted As but maths was horrendous. I messed it up really bad and I know my predicted won’t be higher than a C. The unis I wanna apply to need A A A or A* A A.
Maths is the one subject lettting me down and I don’t know what to do and how to still apply medicine this year. My skl is strict with predicted grades but all I need is A predicted which I know is pushing it but I wanna study medicine and don’t wanna do pharmacy and like biomed.
I’m wondering even to take the UCAT rn
Any help or suggestions on what to do?
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Help?
Have you tried looking into Medicine with a foundation year?
Original post by Illusination
Have you tried looking into Medicine with a foundation year?

No I haven’t heard of this route.
I’ve only heard of there being a chance that a very small handful from first year of biomed get offered a transfer course to medicine.
Do unis in London do this?
Reply 4
My friend was in a similar situation, so she decided to sit her maths exam outside of school (however still attending maths lessons and doing tests etc) at a private college, where they would issue her a predicted grade. However, she did have to pay, how much I'm not sure. If all else fails, I definitely recommend this as she got predicted a U in school but the college predicted her an A (she sat an exam that determined her predicted grade). I hope this helped!

Original post by Biologyforsnab
Help?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by mana_01
My friend was in a similar situation, so she decided to sit her maths exam outside of school (however still attending maths lessons and doing tests etc) at a private college, where they would issue her a predicted grade. However, she did have to pay, how much I'm not sure. If all else fails, I definitely recommend this as she got predicted a U in school but the college predicted her an A (she sat an exam that determined her predicted grade). I hope this helped!

Oh that’s great, but I’m already approaching the end of the year... is it too late
Reply 6
Noooo, it took place within a week for my friend. As soon as you find a suitable college, call them and tell them the situation and they'll probably set up an exam for you to sit within the week to determine the predicted. So not too late at all! Make sure you let your school know so they don't send off your references with their predicted for you. Also, make sure to check the exam will be the same one they teach you in school.
Oh that’s great, but I’m already approaching the end of the year... is it too late
Original post by mana_01
Noooo, it took place within a week for my friend. As soon as you find a suitable college, call them and tell them the situation and they'll probably set up an exam for you to sit within the week to determine the predicted. So not too late at all! Make sure you let your school know so they don't send off your references with their predicted for you. Also, make sure to check the exam will be the same one they teach you in school.

Ohhh okay so only selected colleges do this?
Thank u so much for this, this is absolutely enlightening!!!
Although this may seem tempting, medicine itself is a long course as it is and taking a gap year would mean a year of my life goes to waste and I want to apply and finish the course as soon as I can. If worst comes to worst I shall resort to this option :frown:
Reply 9
You may have done better than you thought, I felt the same with maths last year but ended doing well. In the eventuality that you have done bad though, you can always finish your A levels and apply then, as resitting AS in A2 is a lot easier.
Original post by Mabey
You may have done better than you thought, I felt the same with maths last year but ended doing well. In the eventuality that you have done bad though, you can always finish your A levels and apply then, as resitting AS in A2 is a lot easier.

That’d be through clearing if I wanted to get the course for that same year, otherwise I’d have to take a year out right..
Reply 11
That’d be through clearing if I wanted to get the course for that same year, otherwise I’d have to take a year out right..

Yeah unfortunately, but if you have your heart set on medicine and you have done well in A2 then it could definitely be worth it. You could always apply for something else this year if your AS isn't up to standard, and then reject the offer on results day if your grades are good enough for medicine.
Original post by Mabey
Yeah unfortunately, but if you have your heart set on medicine and you have done well in A2 then it could definitely be worth it. You could always apply for something else this year if your AS isn't up to standard, and then reject the offer on results day if your grades are good enough for medicine.

So at the end if I get the required grades for medicine, what’d you say the chances are id get a place through clearing? Because I don’t wanna set my heart on that and then end up not getting a place even then and having to take a whole year out which is something I ideally do not want to do. I’m just very confused. I need an A predicted for maths, my target grade is a B, and I think I won’t get higher than a c predicted. I will try my best to convince my teacher and she is leaving this year but I can’t put all my money on that. I’m just tryna see what options I’ve got and if I stand a chance :/
Reply 13
I'm only aware of private colleges doing it :frown: you'll just have to look around and find the right one!! I wish you the best of luck :smile:
Ohhh okay so only selected colleges do this?
Thank u so much for this, this is absolutely enlightening!!!
Original post by mana_01
I'm only aware of private colleges doing it :frown: you'll just have to look around and find the right one!! I wish you the best of luck :smile:

Il have a look and hopefully I find one nearby :smile: thank you ever so much
Reply 15
So at the end if I get the required grades for medicine, what’d you say the chances are id get a place through clearing? Because I don’t wanna set my heart on that and then end up not getting a place even then and having to take a whole year out which is something I ideally do not want to do. I’m just very confused. I need an A predicted for maths, my target grade is a B, and I think I won’t get higher than a c predicted. I will try my best to convince my teacher and she is leaving this year but I can’t put all my money on that. I’m just tryna see what options I’ve got and if I stand a chance :

Sorry I can't answer that, I don't know much about clearing. From what I've heard though, clearing for medicine is ridiculously competitive.
No I haven’t heard of this route.
I’ve only heard of there being a chance that a very small handful from first year of biomed get offered a transfer course to medicine.
Do unis in London do this?

Yes they should do. Its Medicine with an extra year for people who don't necessarily have the exact grades for Medicine. They might have lower GCSE requirements. If it's only maths you think you've done bad in contact the universities and see if they might accept it
Reply 17
Still, do your UKCAT as you have chances of securing an interview. Even if you don't get into you will at least get a taste of the UKCAT and interview (if you get one) and the whole application process which in my opinion is quite complicated. These will definitely help you if you decide to apply next year again. Having all this experience puts you at an immediate advantage over other candidates. Hope this helps.
Original post by Illusination
Yes they should do. Its Medicine with an extra year for people who don't necessarily have the exact grades for Medicine. They might have lower GCSE requirements. If it's only maths you think you've done bad in contact the universities and see if they might accept it

For GCSEs I got 7 which is an A in old terms but at a level I’m currently at a borderline C/d prediction. I’ll look into this!
Thank you!!!
Original post by Frah1
Still, do your UKCAT as you have chances of securing an interview. Even if you don't get into you will at least get a taste of the UKCAT and interview (if you get one) and the whole application process which in my opinion is quite complicated. These will definitely help you if you decide to apply next year again. Having all this experience puts you at an immediate advantage over other candidates. Hope this helps.

This is looking like the most realistic option atm.
Yes I shall still take the UCAT and I’ll see how I do in that, Thank you very much :smile:

Quick Reply