The Student Room Group

Wanna study medicine but im too dumb

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
my best bet would be take a gap year so you can apply with achieved grades
in some cases thats even better than applying with predicted grades
Original post by Biologyforsnab
For GCSEs I got 7 which is an A in old terms but at a level I’m currently at a borderline C/d prediction. I’ll look into this!
Thank you!!!

Ah okay I thought you were talking about GCSE's for some reason. Definitely look into foundation year medicine as it requires slightly lower grades and may actually be a good transition into medicine so you really know what its like.
Original post by Illusination
Ah okay I thought you were talking about GCSE's for some reason. Definitely look into foundation year medicine as it requires slightly lower grades and may actually be a good transition into medicine so you really know what its like.

Just had a look into this, kings offers this but you have to go to a non selective state school whereas I go to a selective school so that’s not much help:frown: I’m very lost now
Original post by syrup.02
my best bet would be take a gap year so you can apply with achieved grades
in some cases thats even better than applying with predicted grades

Thanks, this is looking pretty realistic atm
Reply 24
make sure you use ur gap yr wisely
and work hard asf the whole of next year
and then ur set
Thanks, this is looking pretty realistic atm
Although this may seem tempting, medicine itself is a long course as it is and taking a gap year would mean a year of my life goes to waste and I want to apply and finish the course as soon as I can. If worst comes to worst I shall resort to this option :frown:

If you really want to do it then you will take a gap year
It seems like the best option at the moment- taking a gap year can be incredibly beneficial as well. It will allow you to travel or work and do some things that you will have limited chances to do once you embark on your career
Original post by AzureCeleste
If you really want to do it then you will take a gap year
It seems like the best option at the moment- taking a gap year can be incredibly beneficial as well. It will allow you to travel or work and do some things that you will have limited chances to do once you embark on your career

Yeah I do want to do it, I just wish there was another way without it. I wouldn’t have picked maths had I known it’d bring me down so drastically!
Anywho on the bright side, ur right gap years can be beneficial if used wisely.
and then ur set

Yeah imma bang out year 13 get the grades, try my luck at clearing and then most likely do the gap year.
Ahh thank you :smile:))
and then ur set

Unless I convince my teacher to predict me an A which is VERY unrealistic but she’s leaving this year. Imma write a whole speech tryna convince her 😂
Reply 29
yhyh you got this g
Yeah imma bang out year 13 get the grades, try my luck at clearing and then most likely do the gap year.
Ahh thank you :smile:))
yhyh you got this g

Means a lot
Reply 31
once my got his predicted up by begging his ass off. like apparently he couldnt look at his teacher in the eye after begging sm ahah
Unless I convince my teacher to predict me an A which is VERY unrealistic but she’s leaving this year. Imma write a whole speech tryna convince her 😂
once my got his predicted up by begging his ass off. like apparently he couldnt look at his teacher in the eye after begging sm ahah

gonna be me lol, she’s leaving so gives me more reason to bloody get on my knees if I gotta
Reply 33
No I haven’t heard of this route.
I’ve only heard of there being a chance that a very small handful from first year of biomed get offered a transfer course to medicine.
Do unis in London do this?

this is very very difficult to do. there is less than a small handful. most people on here advise against trying this at all unless the application was already prepared to try for graduate medicine/undergrad as a second degree after their bachelors.

i really do recommend applying in the first place, you never know. you might get 4 rejections, you might get an offer. this only accounts for having the right predicted grades though. one thing about maths AS is the grade boundaries are ridiculously low. last years AQA AS was 52% for an A. so don't count your chickens before they've hatched.
birmingham has suggested that next year they'll drop the requirements to AAB ()hough this has yet to be set in stone)!

if you have to take a gap year and hope to apply with grades achieved, is it really the end of the world? you say you don't really want to spend another year getting to medicine but its a 5/6 year degree anyway. plus after that you could potentially have over 15 years of training until you become a consultant. it's been suggested that the earliest you could become a consultant is 32 if you didn't take a second away from progressing your career. so with a minimum of 14 years from the age of 18, how much is 1 year really?

medicine in clearing is possible but competitive. some universities limit who can apply through clearing in different ways. very few enter clearing as well, no more than about 4 a year. some even look for higher requirements than before! though this is of course subject to change.

my advice would be: take UCAT this year. apply for some medicine courses anyway, and a backup that you'd actually like to go into in case you don't get in. then sit the exams:
if you get the grades to get into medicine, then decline your backup offer and apply for 2020 entry.
if you don't then you already have a backup.

[edit - sorry just seen most of this has been covered now!]
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by sotor
this is very very difficult to do. there is less than a small handful. most people on here advise against trying this at all unless the application was already prepared to try for graduate medicine/undergrad as a second degree after their bachelors.

i really do recommend applying in the first place, you never know. you might get 4 rejections, you might get an offer. this only accounts for having the right predicted grades though. one thing about maths AS is the grade boundaries are ridiculously low. last years AQA AS was 52% for an A. so don't count your chickens before they've hatched.
birmingham has suggested that next year they'll drop the requirements to AAB ()hough this has yet to be set in stone)!

if you have to take a gap year and hope to apply with grades achieved, is it really the end of the world? you say you don't really want to spend another year getting to medicine but its a 5/6 year degree anyway. plus after that you could potentially have over 15 years of training until you become a consultant. it's been suggested that the earliest you could become a consultant is 32 if you didn't take a second away from progressing your career. so with a minimum of 14 years from the age of 18, how much is 1 year really?

medicine in clearing is possible but competitive. some universities limit who can apply through clearing in different ways. very few enter clearing as well, no more than about 4 a year. some even look for higher requirements than before! though this is of course subject to change.

my advice would be: take UCAT this year. apply for some medicine courses anyway, and a backup that you'd actually like to go into in case you don't get in. then sit the exams:
if you get the grades to get into medicine, then decline your backup offer and apply for 2020 entry.
if you don't then you already have a backup.

This is the best answer on here! Firstly thank you so much for such a detailed and useful answer!

Okay I think your right, I’m going to apply to medicine and have my backup because what harm would it do to apply for medicine.
I really do hope your right about grade boundaries. I do edexcel maths and our school didn’t actually take the official AS, they just created a paper themselves which might put us at a disadvantage as grade boundaries for normal maths test at our school start of at 80% - A* 70% - A and so on.
My only hope is to pray the grade boundaries are somewhat ridiculously low, or I do a hell of a good job at convincing my teacher.

You are right I shall take your advice and give it a go, nothing to lose in applying this year and next too.

Thank you very much, means a lot :smile:
Good luck whatever happens
This is the best answer on here! Firstly thank you so much for such a detailed and useful answer!

Okay I think your right, I’m going to apply to medicine and have my backup because what harm would it do to apply for medicine.
I really do hope your right about grade boundaries. I do edexcel maths and our school didn’t actually take the official AS, they just created a paper themselves which might put us at a disadvantage as grade boundaries for normal maths test at our school start of at 80% - A* 70% - A and so on.
My only hope is to pray the grade boundaries are somewhat ridiculously low, or I do a hell of a good job at convincing my teacher.

You are right I shall take your advice and give it a go, nothing to lose in applying this year and next too.

Original post by xgcsesarehardx
Good luck whatever happens

Thanks
Re: gap year
I know it’s difficult to think about it now but when you get to medical school, you’ll realise that there are only a handful of immediate school leavers. A large majority will have a gap year or another degree or even had another career before changing. One year out in your long long career ahead is only a blip. So don’t dismiss the gap year and view it positively. Many people don’t get in on the first try, and if they really want to, they’ll try again and again. Don’t be afraid, even though it might mean taking a different path from your friends who might be immediately going to university. Good luck to you.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 38

exactly, you don't lose anything by applying. good luck to you! i really hope it works out!! There's many routes into medicine, you'll find one :smile:

and those grade boundaries are pretty high. you can go back to them and say "well people sitting the AS had these grade boundaries so i would have got X grade if we'd done the external exam." ivebeen predicted an A* based on my A grade AS but with my % i would have been borderline A/B on the A2. use this argument to convince them that real grade boundaries aren't set in stone!
Original post by sotor
exactly, you don't lose anything by applying. good luck to you! i really hope it works out!! There's many routes into medicine, you'll find one :smile:

and those grade boundaries are pretty high. you can go back to them and say "well people sitting the AS had these grade boundaries so i would have got X grade if we'd done the external exam." ivebeen predicted an A* based on my A grade AS but with my % i would have been borderline A/B on the A2. use this argument to convince them that real grade boundaries aren't set in stone!

That is actually genius!

Thank you so so much. I’ll post on here again if I do get those predictions!!
Thanks for all your help I couldn’t thank you enough.

Means a great lot :smile:))))

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending