commentsection
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
It's time to leave the halls next month, and they'll do a inspector check to make sure the room is clean and tidy.

I have had the sink clogged and blocked for some months now, the reason being is because for the first three weeks of starting uni I decided to wash my plates and pan in the bedroom instead of the one in the kitchen. I did take a break from doing it but I had recently continued and it's too the point where it's extremely blogged with hair (from brushing my hair) and food pieces (from the plates and pans).

I have researched options of how to unblock the sink but some state you need a plunge and probably need to go into the extreme by unscrewing stuff - which I won't do.

I have bought some bleach and I plan on solving the issue this week.

When I turn the tap on the water is filled completely in the sink almost overflowing.

So if anyone has any suggestions on how I could solve this issue FAST please comment something!

PS: if I damage anything in the uni and I have to pay for it, which will probably cost about £200+ so, any help would be beneficial.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why did you wash plates in your room? That's grim. Also why didn't you tell them when it clogged? It's an easy fix. Just Google how to unclog a drain, bleach is unlikely to work. You probably need a plunger or drain snake. If those don't work you'll have to fess up.
Cheesybread
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's far easier to unscrew and do it like that. You can fully clear up any problems
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why didn't you just report the issue at the time? You still could now. Tell someone and get help.
username4310824
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Report it to the building maintenance people asap.
Fermion.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When my toilet was blocked, all I did was put boiling hot water (from the kettle) and fill the toilet bowl with this hot water and detergent, let it sit, and kept doing this around two or three times and eventually the toilet was unblocked. I'm not sure if it works the same in a sink but it may work so give it a go
Last edited by Fermion.; 1 year ago
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why wash your plates in your room
Like just why
In what scenario would you ever have to do that
Bradleypatton123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Go to any supermarket or chemist and buy soda crystals, pour some down the plug followed by boiling water
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by doodle_333)
Why did you wash plates in your room? That's grim.
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
Why wash your plates in your room
Like just why
In what scenario would you ever have to do that
Because it's more hygienic half the time, i keep my sink spotless and clean which is not what can be said for the disgusting mess our shared kitchen is often left in. OP's sink should not be blocked if they scraped their plates before washing them, seems like they have been washing carrot chunks and all sorts down it.
surferneil
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you can get to the U bend under the sink then it really is quite easy. Put some gloves on if you want. Put a bowl under the U bend and unscrew it. All the water that is in the sink and in the U bend will come out, but nothing else. Empty the sink with a cup if it is full.
It's very satisfying.! Try to unscrew it just to see if it is unscrewable and not up too tight!
The bit you screw off will be full of disgusting stuff so tip it into the bowl and pop it back on.
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Because it's more hygienic half the time, i keep my sink spotless and clean which is not what can be said for the disgusting mess our shared kitchen is often left in. OP's sink should not be blocked if they scraped their plates before washing them, seems like they have been washing carrot chunks and all sorts down it.
If you have a problem with your kitchen sink then clean it or sort your flat out so it is hygienic..........really not that hard.
Additionally, you can quite easily put some soap on a sponge (keep your own one if the flat one is disgusting) and just run the water......then no need to fill the sink up and the state of the sink doesn't matter
Und3rtal3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Get a bottle each of Buster Kitchen and Buster Bathroom plughole unblocker.Kitchen one works on food and grease and bathroom one on soapscum and hair.Good stuff!
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you have a problem with your kitchen sink then clean it or sort your flat out so it is hygienic..........really not that hard.
Additionally, you can quite easily put some soap on a sponge (keep your own one if the flat one is disgusting) and just run the water......then no need to fill the sink up and the state of the sink doesn't matter
It is hard when you have 8 people living together and half of them are slobs who dont want to clean anything, why should i clean it all when it's not my mess?
Yes you can do that but i prefer to do them in my room as that is a faff, i have all my washing up stuff right near me if i do it in my room. There is nothing inherently disgusting about doing your dishes in your room. I also hate being in the kitchen due to anxiety around food related things i just feel more comfortable doing it in private. Providing you keep your sink clean with some flash etc i dont see the issue.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by commentsection)
It's time to leave the halls next month, and they'll do a inspector check to make sure the room is clean and tidy.

I have had the sink clogged and blocked for some months now, the reason being is because for the first three weeks of starting uni I decided to wash my plates and pan in the bedroom instead of the one in the kitchen. I did take a break from doing it but I had recently continued and it's too the point where it's extremely blogged with hair (from brushing my hair) and food pieces (from the plates and pans).

I have researched options of how to unblock the sink but some state you need a plunge and probably need to go into the extreme by unscrewing stuff - which I won't do.

I have bought some bleach and I plan on solving the issue this week.

When I turn the tap on the water is filled completely in the sink almost overflowing.

So if anyone has any suggestions on how I could solve this issue FAST please comment something!

PS: if I damage anything in the uni and I have to pay for it, which will probably cost about £200+ so, any help would be beneficial.
freshers these days are actually a different bread, why would you do this, bleach will certainly kill any bacteria in the blockage but won't remove it... this is disgusting, you should have just reported it to maintenance. As others have stated, you can still do this now. maybe take this opportunity to not wash your dishes in what is effectively a bathroom sink.
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
It is hard when you have 8 people living together and half of them are slobs who dont want to clean anything, why should i clean it all when it's not my mess?
Yes you can do that but i prefer to do them in my room as that is a faff, i have all my washing up stuff right near me if i do it in my room. There is nothing inherently disgusting about doing your dishes in your room. I also hate being in the kitchen due to anxiety around food related things i just feel more comfortable doing it in private. Providing you keep your sink clean with some flash etc i dont see the issue.
Ask them to sort it out, not saying you should clean it but get a rota going so its sorted.
My flat has 10 of us and we managed to stay sane and have a working sink the whole time. Yes some were slobs but if you pester them enough then they sort their **** out. Really not hard, particularly if you have others backing it

Do it when no one is in the kitchen then? Then there is privacy
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
toilet plunger. it works as ****. i always do it. sucks all that muck right up. just clean the sink out afterwards yh?
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ask them to sort it out, not saying you should clean it but get a rota going so its sorted.
My flat has 10 of us and we managed to stay sane and have a working sink the whole time. Yes some were slobs but if you pester them enough then they sort their **** out. Really not hard, particularly if you have others backing it

Do it when no one is in the kitchen then? Then there is privacy
Each to their own :dontknow: i'll keep doing it my way, this thread is how to unblock a sink not a debate surrounding where OP should wash their dishes
commentsection
Rep:
?
(Original post by doodle_333)
Why did you wash plates in your room? That's grim. Also why didn't you tell them when it clogged? It's an easy fix. Just Google how to unclog a drain, bleach is unlikely to work. You probably need a plunger or drain snake. If those don't work you'll have to fess up.
Laziness! I know it sounds crazy but I thought why not, as the sink is right there. Plus, There is no reason for not telling anyone, I simply just didn't.
commentsection
Rep:
?
(Original post by sinfonietta)
Why didn't you just report the issue at the time? You still could now. Tell someone and get help.
There is no reason for not reporting it. But I'm definitely regretting it now. I'm going to email domestic services or someone tomorrow to help
commentsection
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
freshers these days are actually a different bread, why would you do this, bleach will certainly kill any bacteria in the blockage but won't remove it... this is disgusting, you should have just reported it to maintenance. As others have stated, you can still do this now. maybe take this opportunity to not wash your dishes in what is effectively a bathroom sink.
I know it is gross but what else can I do? just hope for it to be sorted. I'm emailing the maintenance tomorrow and see how it goes from there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (249)
57.37%
I don't have everything I need (185)
42.63%

Watched Threads