AQA A Level English Language and Literature Paper 1 (May 23, 2019) Watch

SpacePatroFan189
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
This is a discussion thread for the first Lang and Lit paper on Thursday!

How's everyone feeling?
WolfofGatsby
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Not too bad, just trying to memorise different links I've got between my novel and poetry anthology and then learning quotes for the Play. How about you?
SpacePatroFan189
Rep:
?
(Original post by WolfofGatsby)
Not too bad, just trying to memorise different links I've got between my novel and poetry anthology and then learning quotes for the Play. How about you?
Not too bad. My biggest worry at the moment is flicking through my copy of Handmaid during the exam, desperately trying to find which chapter a specific extract is from.
Respondz
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Good luck everyone

Anyone who's doing handmaid got any tips for describing fantasy/dystopia etc

also context

and structure for poetry questions
Last edited by Respondz; 3 weeks ago
WolfofGatsby
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Ahhh, now that's a problem. I think the extract will definitely be a fairly significant part in the novel, so as long as you can remember if the extract was near the start or near the end, you should be fine.
(Original post by SpacePatroFan189)
Not too bad. My biggest worry at the moment is flicking through my copy of Handmaid during the exam, desperately trying to find which chapter a specific extract is from.
WolfofGatsby
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Good luck!
(Original post by Respondz)
Good luck everyone

also context

SpacePatroFan189
Rep:
?
(Original post by Respondz)
Good luck everyone

also context

For poetry, just remember that you don't have to compare the two poems at all - my tutor said you should structure your answer so it's almost like two different essays. Both can be spoken about in total isolation.

For Handmaid, there's loads you can discuss for context:
- Atwood's visit to Afghanistan in the 1970s
- Herstory vs. History
- Offred's storytelling is a means of both resistance and survival
- Tropes of dystopian literature (e.g. an unreliable narrator)
- How the recent TV show has been interpreted differently
- Queer theory
- Environmental criticism (remember Atwood was a member of the Green Party)
- Traditional family values/rejection of feminism in 1980s America
- Serena Joy being based on Phyllis Schlaffy
- Atwood is Canadian - it's easy for her to criticise the USA
- Atwood's satirical intent
Etc...

For the creation of a dystopian world, I usually talk about Offred's narrative technique, e.g. mixing fictional schema and real-world schema, the fact she's an unreliable narrator who's as clueless as the reader, and her use of analepsis, which informs the reader of Gilead's creation.
Respondz
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you
m_o_s.s
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Paris and handmaids were brill but how did everyone feel about the poetry? I had Duffy and it completely threw me
Sarah32452
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How did everyone do and what did you mention in answers
SpacePatroFan189
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sarah32452)
How did everyone do and what did you mention in answers
(Original post by m_o_s.s)
Paris and handmaids were brill but how did everyone feel about the poetry? I had Duffy and it completely threw me
I couldn't be happier with how I did on the Anthology, which is very ironic given it's my least favourite part of the course by far (the question was actually predicted by my tutor a couple of weeks ago - is she a psychic?). Duffy was also very good - I chose the memories question and did The Cliche Kid for my chosen poem. It's actually Handmaid that I'm a bit concerned about (I did the Janine question). I did use lots of terminology, discussed context/dystopia and narrative but my analysis just wasn't as deep as it usually is and I ultimately ran out of time at the end, only managing 3 sides of A4 Still, I thought about the AS paper and ended up getting an A there, so fingers crossed!
Sarah32452
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Aww that’s good, I did before you were mine with memories is that good poem to put as well
m_o_s.s
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by SpacePatroFan189)
I couldn't be happier with how I did on the Anthology, which is very ironic given it's my least favourite part of the course by far (the question was actually predicted by my tutor a couple of weeks ago - is she a psychic?). Duffy was also very good - I chose the memories question and did The Cliche Kid for my chosen poem. It's actually Handmaid that I'm a bit concerned about (I did the Janine question). I did use lots of terminology, discussed context/dystopia and narrative but my analysis just wasn't as deep as it usually is and I ultimately ran out of time at the end, only managing 3 sides of A4 Still, I thought about the AS paper and ended up getting an A there, so fingers crossed!
Our english teacher predicted the question also which was fab. In Handmaids tale I chose the one about men and talked about the patriarchal opression of women etc. I was super happy with my analysis in that one however forgot to mention a few basic aspects e.g. patronyms and a couple generic conventions. I bombed poetry which im still kicking myself about. Overall though, especially taking into consideration paper two which i thought went really well, i think it was a good paper. How was your paper two?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (195)
14.41%
The paper was reasonable (752)
55.58%
Not feeling great about that exam... (304)
22.47%
It was TERRIBLE (102)
7.54%

Watched Threads