The Student Room Group

maths GCSE estimate questions!!!

How much should you round to when they ask you to estimate the answer? 1 sf? 2 sf?
Reply 1
Original post by EmRep13
How much should you round to when they ask you to estimate the answer? 1 sf? 2 sf?

Normally you can stick to 1sf and you should be fine. Most of the time it's obvious and you can use your common sense.
Reply 2
Original post by Notnek
Normally you can stick to 1sf and you should be fine. Most of the time it's obvious and you can use your common sense.

do you know whether you round everything to 1sf or just certain values?
Reply 3
Original post by EmRep13
do you know whether you round everything to 1sf or just certain values?

I’ve never seen a GCSE exam question where not rounding to 1sf costs any marks. I hesitate to say that this will always be the case because it’s not an official part of the specification.

Personally I use common sense in estimation questions. E.g. if I’m estimating

75/5.23

Then there’s no real point rounding 75 to 80 since 75/5 is easy. If you did round to 80 then you probably wouldn’t lose any marks.
Reply 4
thanks!
Original post by Notnek
I’ve never seen a GCSE exam question where not rounding to 1sf costs any marks. I hesitate to say that this will always be the case because it’s not an official part of the specification.

Personally I use common sense in estimation questions. E.g. if I’m estimating

75/5.23

Then there’s no real point rounding 75 to 80 since 75/5 is easy. If you did round to 80 then you probably wouldn’t lose any marks.

Quick Reply

Latest