A- level options for a computer science degree. Watch

A Table
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi guys! I am currently in year 10 and have finished my end of year exams i want to get what i would pick out of the way know as to make my college transition as smooth as possible. So my questions is to this community which 3 or 4 a-levels should i choose to get this degree? I am happy answering any questions you want to know.
Thanks in advance.
IcelandicBananas
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
From a quick glance at university entrance requirements, definitely maths; but other than that go for whatever you enjoy (maybe another facilitating subject, computer science if your school offers it, further maths?). Maybe do some programming in your spare time. A typical combo might be maths, further maths, computer science and physics? Good luck
centraltrains
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Computer Science, Maths & Physics are the "Classic" combination as far as I m awear
Maths is mandatory for many top unis now for CS
A Table
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by IcelandicBananas)
From a quick glance at university entrance requirements, definitely maths; but other than that go for whatever you enjoy (maybe another facilitating subject, computer science if your school offers it, further maths?). Maybe do some programming in your spare time. A typical combo might be maths, further maths, computer science and physics? Good luck
Thanks for replying!
I forgot to mention that I am interested in chemistry and biology more so than I am in physics would it still be viable to substitute physics and computer science for biology and chemistry (or any other pair e.g maths,further maths, chemistry, biology)
Routeri
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by A Table)
Thanks for replying!
I forgot to mention that I am interested in chemistry and biology more so than I am in physics would it still be viable to substitute physics and computer science for biology and chemistry (or any other pair e.g maths,further maths, chemistry, biology)
yes a STEM background is good but maths is definitely the most important to unis.
IcelandicBananas
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by A Table)
Thanks for replying!
Definitely, as long as you keep the maths (alot of computer science undergraduates haven't done computer science as an a-level).
kurro
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I am going to do CS this September and I chose maths, chemistry, and art.
As you can see from what I chose only maths is related to CS and top universities only require maths.
But choosing another science would help if you are not 100% certain of doing CS.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (409)
18.68%
The paper was reasonable (1041)
47.53%
Not feeling great about that exam... (486)
22.19%
It was TERRIBLE (254)
11.6%

Watched Threads