The Student Room Group

How easy is a dissertation

Scroll to see replies

Dead easy 1 day max - 2 hours if you're smort.
Original post by Bang Outta Order
:redface: ta

u tryna get me emotional...? :colonhash:

The way you labelled yourself, you don’t need to say that. Any input would be helpful for OP so yeah :biggrin:
Original post by Anonymous
Correct :smile:

Advise is to write a little every day, it will all add up. Don't leave it until the week before, known some to do just that. Use your course leader or whoever is looking after you on this.
How easy is a Psychology dissertation if you start early and put in work and effort? We have an option between 18 pages quantitate or 22 pages qualitative.

is this undergrad? if not Y ze frick did I do 120 for mine
Reply 24
How easy is a Psychology dissertation if you start early and put in work and effort? We have an option between 18 pages quantitate or 22 pages qualitative.

Its all about planning properly and early!

Answered your own question.

Start early + put the work and effort in = easy.

That's life.

Make sure you nail your thesis statement - like really NAIL that sucker. Make it air-tight. Choose a thesis that is somewhere between completely bonkers crazy and super boring and commonplace - you'll find a good one that way.

Follow PEE all the way through (point, example, explanation) - don't deviate from this.

Do a ton of reading. Go through the bibliographies of books you're using to find more obscure books.

Outline, outline, outline :smile: Flesh it out, each outline becoming closer to your final product.

Good luck :wink:
its undergraduate lol
Original post by XOR_

is this undergrad? if not Y ze frick did I do 120 for mine
Amazing advice! Thank you sooo much :smile:
Original post by Benjamin McEvoy
Answered your own question.

Start early + put the work and effort in = easy.

That's life.

Make sure you nail your thesis statement - like really NAIL that sucker. Make it air-tight. Choose a thesis that is somewhere between completely bonkers crazy and super boring and commonplace - you'll find a good one that way.

Follow PEE all the way through (point, example, explanation) - don't deviate from this.

Do a ton of reading. Go through the bibliographies of books you're using to find more obscure books.

Outline, outline, outline :smile: Flesh it out, each outline becoming closer to your final product.

Good luck :wink:
I think it's as easy as you make it. You choose the topic, you choose the research studies to read, it's all in your control. You can keep things simple, or you can make it complicated - whatever you feel is best. But the one thing that you should definitely do is make sure that you start it as soon as you can, as nothing's worse than the fear as you get closer and closer to that deadline.
I used to stress, & doubt my capability of completing a dissertation but its essentially putting into practice what you've already learnt like literature review, research methods etc. & its not too bad. I got my grade back today & got 68% (1st marker 65% n 2nd marker 75% which sucked abit). Although i ideally wanted sumet in 70s, its still a 2:1 equivalent so I'm happy :smile:

Good luck
(edited 4 years ago)
Even though 3rd year is slightly harder, my grades have improved alot since 2nd year so don't stress, just learn from it where you can. I learnt to attend lectures more, be more organised & make start on my work earlier even if its adding 100/200 words every other day it soon adds up to when you come to properly focusing on it.

4 of my friends today have had grades ranging from 59% to 70%
Like I mentioned above, Im worrying because I feel like second year I'm going to finish with a 53% and I'm going to be more motivated next year to do well and start early. I was wondering if getting a 2:1 is possible if I focus hard and do everything prior than leaving it last minute. My classification is split 35/65% second and third year.
The only reason why I believe it's going to be hard is because I have three modules in semester one (coursework + exam= 50% each) and two modules in semester two (coursework + exam= 50%) including my dissertation 45 credits weighing 100%. Therefore I feel like because I have less modules and the weighing for each coursework and exam is 50% I would need to work hard to get 65+% in each coursework and exam to get a 2:1 overall given that I probably will end up with a 53%-54% second year. :frown:
I'm doubting myself soo much that 65% is alot to achieve because my grades have always been random ranging from high 50's to 60's and sometimes 70's! So I have to be consistent with my grades which I feel like might be difficult but obtainable if I put in work everyday (not necessarily day and night) but a few hours a day and have some free days! I dont know but I'll have to pull my socks up next year and do well!!

When did you start your dissertation to achieve a 68% because thats good!
Original post by LauraAlexandra
Even though 3rd year is slightly harder, my grades have improved alot since 2nd year so don't stress, just learn from it where you can. I learnt to attend lectures more, be more organised & make start on my work earlier even if its adding 100/200 words every other day it soon adds up to when you come to properly focusing on it.

4 of my friends today have had grades ranging from 59% to 70%
Reply 32
i have 1 months to do my 10,000 word diss for criminology, so you'd be completely fine to do yours if u play it out a head of time, chose your topic and see your dissertation supervisor every other week or so. That's where i ****ed up, now im stuck with mitigatin circumstances over my summer break with under a month to do mine and not a word started. Don't be like me and plan yours and you would be fine. But its not easy, hence why i avoided it lol. Also going out and gathering your own stats is easier to talk about, however not always the most reliable, doing library based research and doing lit reviews would probably be easier in terms of reliability etc, up to u though and depending on what your research question is. goodluck and dont do a me.
Original post by emmetxh
i have 1 months to do my 10,000 word diss for criminology, so you'd be completely fine to do yours if u play it out a head of time, chose your topic and see your dissertation supervisor every other week or so. That's where i ****ed up, now im stuck with mitigatin circumstances over my summer break with under a month to do mine and not a word started. Don't be like me and plan yours and you would be fine. But its not easy, hence why i avoided it lol. Also going out and gathering your own stats is easier to talk about, however not always the most reliable, doing library based research and doing lit reviews would probably be easier in terms of reliability etc, up to u though and depending on what your research question is. goodluck and dont do a me.

Putting 10,000 word together should be the easy bit, as long as you've actually done the research you agreed to do.

Why do you have mitigating circumstances? being lazy and not completing it is not normally considered a valid excuse.
Reply 34
Original post by mnot
Putting 10,000 word together should be the easy bit, as long as you've actually done the research you agreed to do.

Why do you have mitigating circumstances? being lazy and not completing it is not normally considered a valid excuse.

My arm being broken by my abusive ex u inconsiderate prick, it also takes a massive toll on your mental health. Thanks for being nosy though.
Original post by emmetxh
My arm being broken by my abusive ex u inconsiderate prick, it also takes a massive toll on your mental health. Thanks for being nosy though.

well thats a valid reason, which was most likely outside of your control.

in your original post you said you ****ed up from not visiting your supervisor every week and not planning it out ahead of time. this implies something completely different.
Ye I had 2 modules in SEM1 & 2 in SEM2 and then dissertation kinda across both semesters. Each module had 2 forms of work (exam / assignment or presentation), mostly group work which was crap and stressful amongst other deadlines with some people not contributing anything so I think final year is challenging regardless.

I would just say stop stressing over %'s and weighting and just do your best. Preparation is key, exam revision I find YouTube really helpful & used to write notes on coloured cards & stick them up on my walls lol. But self-doubt is kinda already being negative and setting that tone for yourself, in my third year I really changed my thought process and tried to be positive, even with little affirmations before an exam etc. and it sounds daft but it worked for me.

My grades have improved from YR1 having high 50's to mid 60's and then mid to high 60's throughout second year and then in 3rd year I've stayed consistent with high 60's but also got 70's and 80's. So yours sound fine :smile:

I can't lie I don't do reading books and I've never given up my social life lol I visited uni library rarely - so it's not like you need to be committed every single day but just add a little a few days a week and make sure you attend lectures too (or watch them if recorded). I noticed a massive difference in my understanding, organisation and results from attending lectures (cus we all know how easy it is to skive).

Aw thank you :smile: Well December we had a 1000 word assignment to back up why we had chosen the analysis we had etc. so I probably had my idea November and just used to look up bits as and when in terms of background research and probably got on it properly after my participants were collected around March, I did my data analysis and results like a week before hand in at beginning of April lol

Sorry for long reply.
Ye I had 2 modules in SEM1 & 2 in SEM2 and then dissertation kinda across both semesters. Each module had 2 forms of work (exam / assignment or presentation), mostly group work which was crap and stressful amongst other deadlines with some people not contributing anything so I think final year is challenging regardless.

I would just say stop stressing over %'s and weighting and just do your best. Preparation is key, exam revision I find YouTube really helpful & used to write notes on coloured cards & stick them up on my walls lol. But self-doubt is kinda already being negative and setting that tone for yourself, in my third year I really changed my thought process and tried to be positive, even with little affirmations before an exam etc. and it sounds daft but it worked for me.

My grades have improved from YR1 having high 50's to mid 60's and then mid to high 60's throughout second year and then in 3rd year I've stayed consistent with high 60's but also got 70's and 80's. So yours sound fine

I can't lie I don't do reading books and I've never given up my social life lol I visited uni library rarely - so it's not like you need to be committed every single day but just add a little a few days a week and make sure you attend lectures too (or watch them if recorded). I noticed a massive difference in my understanding, organisation and results from attending lectures (cus we all know how easy it is to skive).

Aw thank you Well December we had a 1000 word assignment to back up why we had chosen the analysis we had etc. so I probably had my idea November and just used to look up bits as and when in terms of background research and probably got on it properly after my participants were collected around March, I did my data analysis and results like a week before hand in at beginning of April lol

Sorry for long reply.

Quick Reply

Latest