The Student Room Group

A Level Chemistry

Do you think it's possible to go from a B to an A in A level chemistry in 2 weeks? On my last paper 3 mock I got a B but I really need an A.
obviously u can!!
actually the best way is challenging someone. so ill pretend to say to u "i personally dont think its possible" so prove me wrong
Reply 2
It's just that I don't feel confident on a lot of things and the exam isn't easy...
Original post by ggxsywes
obviously u can!!
actually the best way is challenging someone. so ill pretend to say to u "i personally dont think its possible" so prove me wrong
@knksj112
It definitely is possible :yep: Just keep working hard and at the end of it you know you'll have done your vey best.
Have you memorised all the synthesis routes, reactions and how to answer spectroscopy questions say? These tend to bag you a large amount of marks if you have these down. Seeing the trends in the past few papers (I'm focusing on OCR A but I'm sure it's similar for other boards) for what typically is worth more marks amd focusing on those topics should help boost up your grade.
If you're fine with that then focus on the finer details, use other exam board papers to pracfice new styles of questions so you'll be comfortable if they throw a new type of question at you.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Synthesis routes, reactions and spectroscopy questions are what I struggle to remember.
I feel stupid for asking, it seems like I'm just looking for someone to motivate me but I'm just really unsure
Original post by Matrix123
@knksj112
It definitely is possible :yep: Just keep working hard and at the end of it you know you'll have done your vey best.
Have you memorised all the synthesis routes, reactions and how to answer spectroscopy questions say? These tend to bag you a large amount of marks if you have these down. Seeing the trends in the past few papers (I'm focusing on OCR A but I'm sure it's similar for other boards) for what typically is worth more marks amd focusing on those topics should help boost up your grade.
If you're fine with that then focus on the finer details, use other exam board papers to pracfice new styles of questions so you'll be comfortable if they throw a new type of question at you.
Original post by knksj112
Synthesis routes, reactions and spectroscopy questions are what I struggle to remember.
I feel stupid for asking, it seems like I'm just looking for someone to motivate me but I'm just really unsure

Right well time to stop whatever you're doing and get revising those key things! Once you have those down then it should really help to bring you up to that A!
Do you have a copy of all the reactions and synthesis routes you need to know? It would be worth noting those down if not then try memorising them. Do you know what your learning style is? I'm visual so I normally write out notes and highlight them. A key part to memorising these is learning small chunks and being able to recite/note them down from memory then building up to the full list/diagram from there. I hope that helps and feel free to ask more for advise/motivation. I can't guarantee I'll help but I'll try! :smile:
Reply 6
Thank you for the advice! I learn better in groups so I might just get a friend to revise with me. Synthetic routes are in paper 2 so I've been focusing on paper 1 physical and inorganic, I'll definitely get started on revising it though. The only thing is, different sources give different conditions, I was looking at a mark scheme that said hot ethanol but in the textbook it said cold? How can I find out whether what I know is correct?
Original post by Matrix123
Right well time to stop whatever you're doing and get revising those key things! Once you have those down then it should really help to bring you up to that A!
Do you have a copy of all the reactions and synthesis routes you need to know? It would be worth noting those down if not then try memorising them. Do you know what your learning style is? I'm visual so I normally write out notes and highlight them. A key part to memorising these is learning small chunks and being able to recite/note them down from memory then building up to the full list/diagram from there. I hope that helps and feel free to ask more for advise/motivation. I can't guarantee I'll help but I'll try! :smile:
Original post by knksj112
Thank you for the advice! I learn better in groups so I might just get a friend to revise with me. Synthetic routes are in paper 2 so I've been focusing on paper 1 physical and inorganic, I'll definitely get started on revising it though. The only thing is, different sources give different conditions, I was looking at a mark scheme that said hot ethanol but in the textbook it said cold? How can I find out whether what I know is correct?

No problem :smile: Yes that sounds good, you should be able to motivate each other to revise! Oh of course there are, but as you said, there's no harm in starting to revise for it. Are there any large areas you struggle with for paper 1?
Hmm can you contact your chemistry teacher to ask them? Or would researching it online suffice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending