Studying medicine while pregnant/with a baby Watch

MedAndMum?
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm hopefully going to be studying medicine in September as long as I get the grades for my offer. I'm 18 and going straight in from school. As you can probably guess from the title, life has thrown a curve ball at my plans and I need to look at options. I've heard of mature students studying medicine with kids, but I know it does take sacrifices. I have looked at help I can get, and I believe I'm eligible for a childcare grant that will help with the cost of nursery. My partner is working so finances aren't an issue and with the help of the grant we can afford full time nursery if needed. My main concern is managing the work load and hours of a degree with a baby/small child. Anyone who has or is currently studying medicine, do you think this is achievable?
maxymoo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think it will be very hard work. Probably ok when you are pregnant but once the baby is born trying to study that intensely coming upto exams and having a baby will be v difficult. It is not impossible but you will be really torn between your child and studying! I had a baby 2 yrs after qualifying and tried to do some post grad exams when my first was v small. In fact I thought I would still be pregnant for my part 1 but he had other ideas and came 3 weeks early! My mum had to come to to wait outside as I was breast feeding. I completely underestimated how time consuming having a child was and on top of no sleep put off any further exams until he was older. Have you thought of seeing if you can defer for a yr so at least you would be past the newborn phase? You will want to enjoy your baby as well. Having said all that there is no easy t8me to have a baby and do medicine, exams are ongoing and once you are working it is long hours which can be v difficult to fit around childcare and a baby at least in the first yrs of medical school the hours are 9-5 pretty much.
MedAndMum?
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
thank you! I've always known I want to be a mum and never been sure how I was going to fit it in around doing medicine. I'm at a bit of a crossroads and wondering if I can have my cake and eat it.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
maxymoo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MedAndMum?)
thank you! I've always known I want to be a mum and never been sure how I was going to fit it in around doing medicine. I'm at a bit of a crossroads and wondering if I can have my cake and eat it.
I think if you don’t give it a go you will never know! You are young and therefore have plenty of reserves. As I say this is usually the dilemma doctors face once they have been qualified for some time, I had my children early in my career compared to most and I am glad I did as it focused my mind about what I really wanted and was able to decide to do GP instead of paeds. If I had had them later like many of my friends I think I would have made the same decision but yrs later taking longer to get where I am now. I love general practice and don’t regret it at all.i also have friends who have given up altogether and those who have battled through and made it work.
I would look at when your uni exams are in relation to your pregnancy and when you are due. Also discuss it With the uni involved. The few weeks after birth you are not going to be upto much. As I say depending on timings defer a yr or if timings coincide with hols and you have good support go for it and if needed you might be able to defer yr 2. I have a friend who did this but for different reason. Every uni will be different but usually once you are there they are v understanding. I have another friend who had a baby in the 5 th yr and made it work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

Who do you think will be the next PM?