Sexual abuse as a child

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
As a child I was sexually abused by my uncle for months. It’s been around 10 years, and I’m only now feeling effects of anxiety, shame, some depression and general trauma. I don’t know what to do. I can’t move on, I can’t focus on my A levels. I just have no idea what to do. My life feels meaningless because wherever I go it haunts me. It shapes me in every way possible. Do I even tell my parents? How do I stop crying?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
Hey, another AS student here that’s been through the same

Are you still in contact with your uncle? You should try and avoid things that remind you of stuff and it’s good that you understand what’s happened.

If you want to see a gp, it would be better to help deal with the flashbacks

Hey your uncles a bich so don’t waste tears over bad people like him xx
Anonymous #3
Report 1 year ago
Hi,
you need to tell your parents and you need to see a therapist. Often victims of sexual abuse blame themselves, but it was never your fault. Your parents will always love you, they will not blame you for this x I promise it will get better if you seek help.
Here is a link to a page with numbers for sexual abuse helplines. Call one tonight if you need to. Can I ask, are you safe right now? Do you think you could harm yourself? If you want to say anything else, if you want someone to talk to privately, let me know x I will be online so reach out to me if you need help, but if you feel like you could harm yourself let someone know immediately, call a hotline immediately

link-
https://www.itv.com/thismorning/rape-helplines
Anonymous #4
Report 1 year ago
So sorry to hear this has happened to you... A very similar thing happened to me though it’s been 8 years and I’ve not fully got over it because I tried to pretend it didn’t happen and that I was fine. I think I would’ve done better if I spoke to someone preferably a therapist so I suggest you try this. I’ve just tried to move on with my life; set myself goals and work towards them, spend time with people who truly love and care for me and try to build healthy positive relationships with myself and others. I’d definitely recommend talking to a professional because I’ve not fully got over it so I may not be the best person to ask. I wish the best for you and I know you’ll get through this <3
Anonymous #5
Report 5 months ago
similar thing happenef to me 5 years ago. doing my a levels and im scared the trauma will affect grades for uni. i still live with him. want to get help but dont want to get parents involved as im 17. might wait a year if i can. if my parents are told, what happens? do they kick him out? what if they dont believe me, then what happens to me?
Anonymous #6
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
As a child I was sexually abused by my uncle for months. It’s been around 10 years, and I’m only now feeling effects of anxiety, shame, some depression and general trauma. I don’t know what to do. I can’t move on, I can’t focus on my A levels. I just have no idea what to do. My life feels meaningless because wherever I go it haunts me. It shapes me in every way possible. Do I even tell my parents? How do I stop crying?
You are a survivor and you are not alone. Talking about it is the first step so you should be proud of yourself for being this brave.

One of the things that really helped me initially was talking to NAPAC: https://napac.org.uk
They’re so helpful and can guide you towards the right lines of support that you need particularly in cases of non-recent sexual abuse.

Try to get a support system in place. This could be through other family members, friends or even external sources of support. Therapy was the single best thing I have ever done to get me to a point where I can live a normal life and have healthy relationships. It gave me a safe space to talk and process things in a healthy way without them manifesting destructively or through illness. Maybe this is something you could try?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (21)
18.58%
I'm not sure (2)
1.77%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (32)
28.32%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.65%
I'm not a current university student (55)
48.67%

Watched Threads