SanDisk micro SD card down to £20.19 (from £36) Watch

Joseph Joestar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
SanDisk Extreme microSDXC for £20.19 (down from £36) at Amazon.

https://amzn.to/2VDwyAS
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello there Joe , not a bot,

you need to mention that the above offer is for a 128GB class 10 device. (quite a few smartphones won't go above 64GB) it's a good price for very fast card

at least, that where the URL shortner (potentially dangerous and iffy) link took me, bad cybersecurity to use those - they can go anywhere, on an individual basis, but they can be helpful for some.

when I checked your link using Google's helpful https://Virustotal.com website, your AMZN.TO did indeed show up as potentially a malware attack website just from FOUR of the SIXTY anti-malware search systems that were deployed in the virtualised test environment.

CyRadar = Malicious
DNS8 = Malicious
Malwarebytes hpHosts = Phishing
Sucuri SiteCheck = Malicious

four hits is quite serious, especially the fact that the endpoint URL of your URL shortner is ipV4 67.199.248.13 (VT map)
and the same server in USA Tinet SPA that hosts your Short URL as a Via point also hosts many bad sites including these particular sites celeb jihad.cc and apple.co (which isn't apple)

I'll think about what is best to do , but it seems like an attack to me , further proof is that 67.199.248.13 also maps to a genuine bank account phish attack website mtt bshm.co/70eb14666830/Chase-Internet-Banking-Unlock-My-Chase-Account-CHASE.html, so not a good choice there Joe!
Last edited by LuigiMario; 1 month ago
Joseph Joestar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there.

Still not a bot, things would be a lot easier if we could have bots here!

The URL shortener is Amazon's own shortener, generated by Amazon exclusively for Amazon links through Amazon Associates account tools. I can assure you, the AMZN shortened links will only ever land you on Amazon, it would be a technical marvel if they landed you elsewhere.

For everything else mentioned, I suggest you take it up with Amazon themselves, as, like I said, the link comes direct from them and has never triggered any malware warnings on any of our systems. It's an affiliate link which is stated in the 'Welcome to the Deals Forum' post.

This is a safe link that will land you on Amazon for the purpose of offering you a decent deal. That's all. There's no larger conspiracy here, I promise. Tin foil hats aside, we do the legwork to make sure these links are safe and Amazon has a bit of a budget for their security, to say the least. Thanks for the concern though.

(Original post by LuigiMario)
Hello there Joe , not a bot,

you need to mention that the above offer is for a 128GB class 10 device. (quite a few smartphones won't go above 64GB) it's a good price for very fast card

at least, that where the URL shortner (potentially dangerous and iffy) link took me, bad cybersecurity to use those - they can go anywhere, on an individual basis, but they can be helpful for some.

when I checked your link using Google's helpful https://Virustotal.com website, your AMZN.TO did indeed show up as potentially a malware attack website just from FOUR of the SIXTY anti-malware search systems that were deployed in the visualised test environment.

CyRadar = Malicious
DNS8 = Malicious
Malwarebytes hpHosts = Phishing
Sucuri SiteCheck = Malicious

four hits is quite serious, especially the fact that the endpoint URL of your URL shortner is ipV4 67.199.248.13 (VT map)
and the same server in USA Tinet SPA that hosts these particular sites celeb jihad.cc and apple.co (which isn't apple)

I'll think about what is best to do , but it seems like an attack to me , further proof is that 67.199.248.13 also maps to a genuine bank account phish attack website mtt bshm.co/70eb14666830/Chase-Internet-Banking-Unlock-My-Chase-Account-CHASE.html, so not a good choice there Joe!
LuigiMario
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
OK, it does eventually resolve to Amazon.co.uk, but first it goes on a merry dance - only according to the Google's professional antivirus service.

wow!

sorry, I think it is just endemic of these URL shortness that the users are monetised

Final URL
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HBB5Y...language=en_GB

Serving IP Address
67.199.248.13. <<<<<--------much malware is on this server, which hosts many parallel websites with very dodgy content
Status Code 503
Body Length 1.39 KB
Body SHA-256 b5762236bd45a44d490ad74c3d252919 34465da0b08242d265de8f61c7b36926
Headers
accept-ranges: bytes
connection: keep-alive
content-length: 1427
content-type: text/html
date: Tue, 21 May 2019 09:47:16 GMT
etag: "593-5819e51846400-gzip"
last-modified: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 13:30:56 GMT
server: Server
vary: Content-Type,Host,Accept-Encoding,X-Amzn-CDN-Cache,X-Amzn-AX-Treatment,User-Agent
via: 1.1 1653617c8dfc2e48beca446a9a4426a1 .cloudfront.net (CloudFront)
x-amz-cf-id: 4hM5fJcVykJ6XzxD-p5WPUJs9f6jBWYsDqmr4RGusNtDLk5gz Acl_Q==
x-amz-rid: Q5WCDXXQPSJC4RZEWKXY
x-cache: Error from cloudfront
LuigiMario
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I reported three attacks on Amazon last week, fake resellers who were based in the east, it took me 3 days to explain everything to Amazon

I completely accept that you used this URL shortner genuinely, so as not to not confuse people about your micropayments based on tag=thesturoo0d-21

URL shortners are not very good for individual's privacy, but they are great for business
LuigiMario
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm looking further into this URL shortener, as I can find little direct evidence that it actually can cause harm - (I'm also contacting an expert on the GDPR implications of a large company that forces its affiliates to use a URL shortner which is a re-branded "bit.ly" server), and it is this Reverse DNS cname.bitly.com that hosts a cloud of malware, related to the same ipV4, (which is in the USA, pointing to a ".CO.UK" company).

To be clear, it is not specifically the shortened URL that was used above, it applies to all A M Z N . T O links which are flagging "live" as potentially malware.

it is slightly confusing, mildly scary at present, I'll pass it up a level and see what we get, Sorry Joe, I agree that you did nothing wrong, just triggered some interesting and unexpected results.
Largest Bob
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Horrrryyyyyy shiiiit
(Original post by joseph joestar)
sandisk extreme microsdxc for £20.19 (down from £36) at amazon.

https://amzn.to/2vdwyas
spotify95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not a bad deal if I say so myself

Its currently showing the 128GB variant as £25.99, which is very competitively priced. The 64GB and 32GB variants are also £17.09 and £10.05 respectively, which are good prices.

Might get myself a 64GB to replace the 16GB one in my phone, and then a 128GB for my Surface Pro...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (60)
21.82%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (93)
33.82%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (59)
21.45%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (27)
9.82%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (36)
13.09%

Watched Threads