Would you stay in 'quieter halls' at uni? Watch

shooks
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
A student accommodation search engine has started badging up some of its properties as 'quieter halls'.

Mystudenthalls.com site is awarding the badge to any halls that meet nine criteria across general resident guidelines, noise policies whether the building is in a quiet area.

"In the last few years, we’ve seen a huge shift in student culture," says Mystudenthalls.com director, Dan Roberts.

"It’s so important that universities and accommodation providers are working to support every student, no matter what their lifestyle, to ensure that all students thrive.

"It’s not about providing entirely quiet student halls- that would be unrealistic. It’s about a clear support of quieter lifestyles and living spaces."

---

What do you think? Clearly the stereotypical boozy student lifestyle isn't for everyone - would you seek out a quieter hall to live in during first year?
Anonymous #1
Report 5 months ago
Not for first year, I would stick with normal halls to see what they are like and experience them first. That way If I don’t like the normal halls atleast I can say I tried them and can just switch the the quieter halls personally I wouldn’t wanna miss out on the typical kinda uni culture
Zactopus
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I picked to stay in quieter halls during my first year of Uni, I didn't get offered an official quiet room but my flat was mixed about half and a half with others who had opted for quiet rooms as well. It was nice I dont like loud noises and partying a lot so having a room that was even half as loud as some of the other flats was a huge advantage to me in first year.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey,

I don't think I would for my first year, like others. It's the crucial time to involve yourself with others, make friends, things of that nature. It definitely has changed as a whole though, my first year in University at halls was insane. There was plenty of noise, lots of activity, all sorts of things ongoing. The other two years in halls have been relatively normative, quiet, relaxed, even though they weren't advertised as such.
Not sure why this was, especially as I stayed in the same halls twice. Maybe as a fresher I was more invested in getting to know everyone, but it was still way busier back in my first year.

Quiet halls are great though if you're looking to relax and are done / never invested in the partying lifestyle.
Josh.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I basically did for my 2nd and 3rd year. I stayed in postgrad halls, which were basically quite halls - compared to the fresher halls I stayed in in first year at least.

I mean, the quiet ones were much nicer and more pleasant, but all of my funny and interesting uni stories come from my first year, and not my time in 'quieter halls' (except meeting my next-door neighbor who I ended up marrying).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Nov '19
  • University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties - Undergraduate and Postgraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (18)
25%
Unconditional if firmed (3)
4.17%
Unconditional if insurance (0)
0%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (1)
1.39%
No unconditional offers (50)
69.44%

Watched Threads