What does this mean exactly? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I work in a care home and a (male) manager said to a resident I was taking out 'make sure you look after him' and a female staff was smiling at him when he said it?
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There is no deep or hidden meaning here.
Anonymous #1
He said it to the resident as if to say look after the staff member
(Original post by sinfonietta)
There is no deep or hidden meaning here.
sinfonietta
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
He said it to the resident as if to say look after the staff member
Yes, I got that. There's no hidden meaning there. People say things like that to the elderly, children, less abled, etc to make them feel in control.
Anonymous #1
What about of a staff member says about another staff member 'he doesn't even know what day it is?'?
Yes, I got that. There's no hidden meaning there. People say things like that to the elderly, children, less abled, etc to make them feel in control.
sinfonietta
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
What about of a staff member says about another staff member 'he doesn't even know what day it is?'?
Sounds like a joke. Don't try to read into every little thing someone says.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You kids have too much time on your hands; to analyse in great detail every human interaction, till you've formed a full catalogue of your life's work.

You're not that important. Do your job, get home, have ya tea, and get to kip. Bright and early for tomoz.
ChrisMarin
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sounds like a joke to me.
katf
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Please use the term disabled, not less abled. The latter is very patronising. Disabled is not a bad word and actually most disabled people identify with it. It tends to be abled people who try to find an alternative to disabled. Most of the time it's patronising, twee and treats us like we're about 5.

Those sorts of comments to disabled people are also very patronising and usually come off as offensive as it's treating us like we're children.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
sinfonietta
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by katf)
Please use the term disabled, not less abled. The latter is very patronising. Disabled is not a bad word and actually most disabled people identify with it. It tends to be abled people who try to find an alternative to disabled. Most of the time it's patronising, twee and treats us like we're about 5.

Those sorts of comments to disabled people are also very patronising and usually come off as offensive as it's treating us like we're children.
I used a broader term because I wasn't referring exclusively to disabled persons.
katf
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I used a broader term because I wasn't referring exclusively to disabled persons.
But the inference was that you were referring to disabled people. If you're not, don't lump us in with abled people. Disability refers to a long term condition that has a substantial and long term effect on your ability to do every day activities.
username2923348
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by katf)

Mate, less able is totally fine. Stop finding things to be offended over.

If someone was partially death they are "less able" to hear, it's just a different way of phrasing.
katf
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TheRealSquiddy)
Mate, less able is totally fine. Stop finding things to be offended over.

If someone was partially death they are "less able" to hear, it's just a different way of phrasing.
A lot of able bodied people are trying to find an alternative to the word disabled. And not bothering to consult actual disabled people on whether we want a different word. As an actual disabled person, less able is not fine. It's a very negative phrasing and isn't used by disabled people to refer to ourselves.
username2923348
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by katf)
A lot of able bodied people are trying to find an alternative to the word disabled. And not bothering to consult actual disabled people on whether we want a different word. As an actual disabled person, less able is not fine. It's a very negative phrasing and isn't used by disabled people to refer to ourselves.
Actually my mother who was deaf used it to refer to herself, she hated the word disabled but accepted she was less abled than others. Stop speaking for everyone.
katf
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TheRealSquiddy)
Actually my mother who was deaf used it to refer to herself, she hated the word disabled but accepted she was less abled than others. Stop speaking for everyone.
And I'm disabled and absolutely hate the term less abled. Almost as much as handicapable, which is possibly the most patronising word in existence. I object to abled people, including carers, speaking for disabled people.

I've never met a disabled person who refers to themselves as less abled. I have however met a lot of abled people who use that term. The vast majority of us use the term disabled.

Unless YOU are disabled, you have absolutely no say in the vocabulary that we use. And that means you, not your mum, partner or second cousin twice removed.
username2923348
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by katf)
And I'm disabled and absolutely hate the term less abled. Almost as much as handicapable, which is possibly the most patronising word in existence. I object to abled people, including carers, speaking for disabled people.

I've never met a disabled person who refers to themselves as less abled. I have however met a lot of abled people who use that term. The vast majority of us use the term disabled.

Unless YOU are disabled, you have absolutely no say in the vocabulary that we use. And that means you, not your mum, partner or second cousin twice removed.
Is now the time to mention I'm partially deaf too? Seriously, you are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, you're using disability as a scapegoat to be offended.

I personally couldn't care less what people say about me, less abled, disabled or deaf, Because I am technically all three.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who do you think will be the next PM?

Boris Johnson (234)
72%
Jeremy Hunt (91)
28%

Watched Threads