Is 3 years at sixth form worth it? Watch

sopxia
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I am in year 12 and recently realised I need a level maths for the course I want to do at uni. I am confused as to whether or not I should complete a level maths in one year in year 13 or take an extra year out (year14) to finish it in 2 years.
Im also doing biology, chemistry and I dropped sociology for maths. Although Maths in one year will be a lot of work and may reduce my time spent on my other subjects, is it worth wasting a year?
Jinwon
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by sopxia)
I am in year 12 and recently realised I need a level maths for the course I want to do at uni. I am confused as to whether or not I should complete a level maths in one year in year 13 or take an extra year out (year14) to finish it in 2 years.
Im also doing biology, chemistry and I dropped sociology for maths. Although Maths in one year will be a lot of work and may reduce my time spent on my other subjects, is it worth wasting a year?
Depends on how confident you feel. Obviously you should’ve searched up the course beforehand and seen the requirements but oh well. If you think you can manage to finish maths in one year then it’s fine, you can make your decision towards the end and see if you want to take an extra year
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
sopxia
Rep:
?
I was so set on doing medicine (so based my a level choices from that) until doing work experience at a hospital and realised I hated it lol.
Thanks for the advice !
(Original post by Jinwon)
Depends on how confident you feel. Obviously you should’ve searched up the course beforehand and seen the requirements but oh well. If you think you can manage to finish maths in one year then it’s fine, you can make your decision towards the end and see if you want to take an extra year
ah18212
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes it's worth it, maybe try to find some local tuition if you are struggling.
Largest Bob
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
if you don't want to be a degenerate, yes.
sopxia
Rep:
?
Loool that’s my dilemma 😩
(Original post by Largest Bob)
if you don't want to be a degenerate, yes.
drriversong
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
i am on my 4th year of a-levels due to crohn's and I would recommend doing the extra year. I suppose I've had three offers from Oxford to motivate me, but aside from that, it is really hard to motivate yourself and not feel a sense of stagnation whilst everyone else is thriving in uni. It's your call. Also, Largest Bob, there is nothing wrong with having three cats, and your classist pretensions suggest perhaps a latent fear of failure? Uni is not the only road to success, and contrary to popular belief, you can thrive in council houses
Largest Bob
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
true but to get the better apprenticeships you require a levels/level 3 BTEC's and with the uk's failing economy best get the best job you can cos inflation is a b*tch also I was just trying to express that in reality to be in the happiest place possible you need the qualifications. Granted living under council subsidies is never a bad thing but all of us should strive to complete the highest level of education as it is often that the more deprived of us will become stuck in a continuous wheel of poverty.
(Original post by drriversong)
i am on my 4th year of a-levels due to crohn's and I would recommend doing the extra year. I suppose I've had three offers from Oxford to motivate me, but aside from that, it is really hard to motivate yourself and not feel a sense of stagnation whilst everyone else is thriving in uni. It's your call. Also, Largest Bob, there is nothing wrong with having three cats, and your classist pretensions suggest perhaps a latent fear of failure? Uni is not the only road to success, and contrary to popular belief, you can thrive in council houses
sopxia
Rep:
?
Okay then🤣 I’m already in sixth form I’m just asking if I should stay an extra year to complete another a level loooooool
if u want a good job do it. if you want to die alone in an unsanitary council house with your 3 cats and heroine addicted partner don't go to sixth form and that goes out to eberyone
sopxia
Rep:
?
Thank youu for the advice! And wow 3 offers from Oxford is amazing! So not sitting all a levels at once won’t affect my uni application?
(Original post by drriversong)
Largest Bob
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
how many do u have/ are you studying
Okay then🤣 I’m already in sixth form I’m just asking if I should stay an extra year to complete another a level loooooool
sopxia
Rep:
?
Im in year 12 studying A level Biology, chemistry and sociology but gonna drop sociology for maths
how many do u have/ are you studying
username2923348
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
if u want a good job do it. if you want to die alone in an unsanitary council house with your 3 cats and heroine addicted partner don't go to sixth form and that goes out to eberyone
What's wrong with being addicted to female heroes?

But seriously, you have no clue, please shut up.
Largest Bob
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
3 is perfectly fine as long as u can get the path you want in life
Im in year 12 studying A level Biology, chemistry and sociology but gonna drop sociology for maths
Violet201
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If anything it would be a talking point for university interviews, how you changed your mind and decided to peruse a different path even when you will have to watch your friends go off to uni. Props to you!
sopxia
Rep:
?
I don’t think you read my original post lool. I’m asking if I should complete all of a level maths in one year in year 13 or stay an extra year (year 14) to reduce the stress
3 is perfectly fine as long as u can get the path you want in life
sopxia
Rep:
?
Never thought about it like that. Thank you!
(Original post by Violet201)
If anything it would be a talking point for university interviews, how you changed your mind and decided to peruse a different path even when you will have to watch your friends go off to uni. Props to you!
Oxford Brookes University
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey sopxia, Im currently in my final year studying International Hospitality Management at Oxford Brookes. I know how it feels when you want to come to university, and you want to get there the quickest way, I wanted to do that too; however, I realised that I need to work hard and take the extra year out for me get where I am now. I was 21 when I started my first year, but haven't regretted one second about the decisions I have taken.

Take your time to enjoy yourself and get your grades to get into university, and you will do great there is no point to rush things in life.

I hope that helps.

Kind regards,

Jordan. M
Student Ambassador
sopxia
Rep:
?
I think this just helped me to confirm my choice and now I don’t feel as bad for having to stay an extra year. I didn’t want to feel like I was left behind all my friends who will be going to university next year, but you’re right I shouldn’t rush. Thank you so much !

(Original post by Oxford Brookes University)
Hey sopxia, Im currently in my final year studying International Hospitality Management at Oxford Brookes. I know how it feels when you want to come to university, and you want to get there the quickest way, I wanted to do that too; however, I realised that I need to work hard and take the extra year out for me get where I am now. I was 21 when I started my first year, but haven't regretted one second about the decisions I have taken.

Take your time to enjoy yourself and get your grades to get into university, and you will do great there is no point to rush things in life.

I hope that helps.

Kind regards,

Jordan. M
Student Ambassador
sophia5892
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I did the full maths A Level in Year 13 (old A Level system). I was placed in the Year 12 group with students who would take Maths A Level in Year 12 and then do Further Maths A Level in year 13, so we were scheduled double the hours of a normal subject.

Assuming your sixth form is offering you the same, I'd say you should give it a go!
If you find it's too difficult or too high a workload, you can always switch to doing the A Level over two years like normal.

In terms of applying to uni:
Some courses do prefer or even stipulate that you should achieve the 3 A Levels in the same sitting - if you have any particular unis in mind it may be worth checking with them now. For the most part I believe unis use that rule as either they don't like students to do resits and/or they want students to prove they can cope with the workload of 3 subjects. Given your situation, where you'd have a normal 3 subject workload and wouldn't be resitting maths if you were to do a "year 14", unis may be flexible on this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (407)
18.64%
The paper was reasonable (1039)
47.57%
Not feeling great about that exam... (485)
22.21%
It was TERRIBLE (253)
11.58%

Watched Threads