Rights specific to children at school Watch

blacksheep8
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
At school there are so many ways that teachers can fail students, and i've seen it happen so many times, both to myself, and to others.

I have recently pinpointed exactly what it is about schools that needs to be focused on and improved, and this is: ETHICS.

Since a lot of you are youngsters, ethics simply means the morality of things, i.e. is it right or wrong?

I'm sure many of you have sat in classrooms and watched teachers humiliate a student, or maybe it happened to yourself. Perhaps you were shouted at, or denied something, or treated unfairly. You get that feeling inside like 'that's not right'.

I think what is desperately needed is rights for children at school, so that in those moments you have a hold on your right and can challenge the authority member who will most likely ignore you otherwise.

Just to make it clear to you, kids do have rights, it's just that they don't seem specifically education orientated.

A reminder, as many of you will not know of your rights under the UN CRC, which is actually ironically misaligned with the article 42 (you should know these rights):

https://www.savethechildren.org.uk/w...s-of-the-child

Scroll to find where it says the "CHILD-FRIENDLY VERSION OF THE UNCRC"
and click on the "click here" button.

These are your rights and they have been enforced by the UK since 1992, therefore, uou have a right to use them.

Still, even with these rights, there should be something specific to the child at school so that teachers cannot attempt to deny them.

The most relevant ones to school are probably:

Article 1
Everyone under 18 has all these rights.

Article 2
You have the right to protection against
discrimination. This means that nobody can treat you badly because of your colour, sex or religion, if you speak another language, have a disability, or are rich or poor.

Article 3
All adults should always do what is best for you. / Article 3
All adults should do what is best for you. When
adults make decisions, they should think about
how their decisions will affect children. (Unicef's version)

Article 4
You have the right to have your rights made a
reality by the government.

Article 12
You have the right to an opinion and for it to be listened to and taken seriously.

Article 19
You have the right to be protected from being hurt or badly treated./ Article 19
You have the right to be protected from being
hurt and mistreated, in body or mind. (Unicef's version)

Article 29
You have the right to education which tries to
develop your personality and abilities as much as possible and encourages you to respect other people’s rights and values and to respect the environment.

Article 36
You have the right to protection from of any other kind of exploitation./ Article 36
You have the right to protection
from any kind of exploitation (being
taken advantage of). (Unicef's version)

Article 37
You have the right not to be punished in a cruel or hurtful way.

Article 39
You have the right to help if you have been hurt, neglected, or badly treated.

Article 41
You have the right to any rights in laws in your
country or internationally that give you better rights than these.

Article 42
All adults and children should know about this
convention. You have a right to learn about your rights and adults should learn about them too.

Find Unicef's version by searching 'unicef uncrc child friendly' into google. It is a pdf entitled: uncrcchilldfriendlylanguage.pdf

'The UK ratified the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child in 1991, making the government responsible and accountable for ensuring that every child in the UK enjoys their rights as defined by the Convention. The reality today is that many children in the UK are not aware of and do not enjoy their rights.' (https://www.unicef.org.uk/child-frie...s/uncrc-in-uk/)

Good luck guys! This is the start to a rights for children in school specifically.

Know your rights!
Leviathan1611
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I can just imagine a student reciting their rights and getting kicked out of the class for being "distruptuve"🤣🤣
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
blacksheep8
Rep:
?
(Original post by Leviathan1611)
I can just imagine a student reciting their rights and getting kicked out of the class for being "distruptuve"🤣🤣
I guess the best thing to do is to bring it up with the teacher in a private environment, or with another member of staff that you trust.

It's your right and you are allowed to practice it. They, on the other hand, need to listen, take it seriously, and act accordingly.
blacksheep8
Rep:
?
Bump, so more of you kids know about this
blacksheep8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Spread the word :console:
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
My brothers school talk about those rights all the time. They are even a rights respecting school: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rights..._Schools_Award
blacksheep8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Obolinda)
My brothers school talk about those rights all the time. They are even a rights respecting school: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rights..._Schools_Award
Oh wow, i'm so glad to hear that Unicef have attempted to confront this issue, and that this is something spoken about at your brother's school.

I guess what's worrying is that it seems hardly spoken about or known by children or even adults. I know at the school I went to this was never mentioned It seems to me it's much less mentioned/ taught than mentioned/ taught at schools, which is a big issue which must be resolved.

Hopefully this post will bring some awareness to kids on this site that have no idea that they have these rights and the right to exercise them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (137)
17.75%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (73)
9.46%
No I am happy with my course choice (455)
58.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (107)
13.86%

Watched Threads