Any recommended books to gain further insight into law? Watch

JasmineLLB
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm going to start studying Law in September and I'm wondering if there are any books that would be interesting to gain a deeper "insight" into the field/study (i.e. a critique of the British legal system, books about analytical jurisprudence, etc.)

I'm planning so far on reading H Kennedy Eve was Framed: women and British justice and P Sands East West Street: on the origins of genocide and crimes against humanity.
Last edited by JasmineLLB; 4 weeks ago
Insecable
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No. I'd enjoy the freedom while it lasts personally. You can worry about the reading as soon as your degree starts (and there will be plenty, I can assure you).

If your uni sets any summer reading around August or early September, you could obviously do that, but I don't think there's any need otherwise.

Having said that, it might depend on your personal situation too. For instance, I started a law degree after a few years out of education, so getting back into the 'academic' swing of things might be useful in such an instance.
JasmineLLB
Rep:
?
(Original post by Insecable)
No. I'd enjoy the freedom while it lasts personally. You can worry about the reading as soon as your degree starts (and there will be plenty, I can assure you).

If your uni sets any summer reading around August or early September, you could obviously do that, but I don't think there's any need otherwise.

Having said that, it might depend on your personal situation too. For instance, I started a law degree after a few years out of education, so getting back into the 'academic' swing of things might be useful in such an instance.
Ah, yeah I get your point. For me though I want to “deepen” my interest if that makes sense? So, it’s not me necessarily catering to a need, but more so just being interested as a whole in the “study”. Like I enjoy it and see having time now to read whatever I want as freedom (as lame as that sounds).

So, yeah idk is there anything in particular you’ve read that you’ve found interesting?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Insecable
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JasmineLLB)
Ah, yeah I get your point. For me though I want to “deepen” my interest if that makes sense? So, it’s not me necessarily catering to a need, but more so just being interested as a whole in the “study”. Like I enjoy it and see having time now to read whatever I want as freedom (as lame as that sounds).

So, yeah idk is there anything in particular you’ve read that you’ve found interesting?
Yeah, I get what you mean. The only thing with that is, certain literature might be harder to understand or follow outside of the scope of a specific module where you are learning the material weekly and being offered guidance on how things fit together.

I know similar questions have been asked before on this forum and some people have come up with some good suggestions. Hopefully they can offer better guidance than I can.

Most of the legal reading I've done has been stuff directly relevant to my degree, and I don't think I have any recommendations that would fit what you seem to be looking for.
JasmineLLB
Rep:
?
Ah ok, makes sense. I just hate the feeling of being unprepared as well if you get what I mean, haha. Guess I will just have to wait till the uni sets summer readings.
Yeah, I get what you mean. The only thing with that is, certain literature might be harder to understand or follow outside of the scope of a specific module where you are learning the material weekly and being offered guidance on how things fit together.

I know similar questions have been asked before on this forum and some people have come up with some good suggestions. Hopefully they can offer better guidance than I can.

Most of the legal reading I've done has been stuff directly relevant to my degree, and I don't think I have any recommendations that would fit what you seem to be looking for.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Wouldn't bother.

Plenty of other threads where this very question has been answered in detail. Have a look.
MidgetFever
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'd honestly save the reading until you start, there's a lot of it, so enjoy your summer whilst you can.
Aptitude.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not necessarily books but keep up to date with current law. Try to read articles surrounding areas of law that you [might] enjoy.

It’s important not to overwhelm yourself before you even start; just do some light reading on topics that you enjoy reading about so you aren’t burnt out before you even start the course.

Best of luck!
JasmineLLB
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aptitude.)
Not necessarily books but keep up to date with current law. Try to read articles surrounding areas of law that you [might] enjoy.

It’s important not to overwhelm yourself before you even start; just do some light reading on topics that you enjoy reading about so you aren’t burnt out before you even start the course.

Best of luck!
Ah yeah, that’s a good idea actually!

I’ve read Dworkin’s book Law Empire and a bit of articles about Hart’s perspective and I’ve really enjoyed them, so I was hoping to find engaging books/ articles like that where I wouldn’t need to have too much prior knowledge.

Thank you! x
Insecable
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ah yeah, that’s a good idea actually!

I’ve read Dworkin’s book Law Empire and a bit of articles about Hart’s perspective and I’ve really enjoyed them, so I was hoping to find engaging books/ articles like that where I wouldn’t need to have too much prior knowledge.

Thank you! x
If you've read Law's Empire, you could read The Concept of Law by Hart if you're that interested in Jurisprudence. There is also the Hart v Fuller debate.

Although my original point still stands.
JasmineLLB
Rep:
?
If you've read Law's Empire, you could read The Concept of Law by Hart if you're that interested in Jurisprudence. There is also the Hart v Fuller debate.

Although my original point still stands.
Yes I do. Seems interesting, I’ll look into it. Thank youu
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don't bother. You'll be bored shitless for the next three years with your reading, so I'd enjoy your freedom.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Don't bother. You'll be bored shitless for the next three years with your reading, so I'd enjoy your freedom.
Hahahaahaha, some people enjoy it, man. Not very and they tend to be asocial/little bit eccentric, but still.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Hahahaahaha, some people enjoy it, man. Not very and they tend to be asocial/little bit eccentric, but still.
:lol: 'asocial/little bit eccentric'. Love it.
JasmineLLB
Rep:
?
Ouch, I am still vacuuming from last time.

Plus, don't lie you enjoy it too.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ouch, I am still vacuuming from last time.

Plus, don't lie you enjoy it too.
Vacuuming?

Another piece of British slang you've learnt?
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Vacuuming?

I think you can teach some significantly better slang than 'vacuuming'. 'Hoovering, maybe'...
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
I think you can teach some significantly better slang than 'vacuuming'. 'Hoovering, maybe'...
My vote is for 'tube sucking'. Ooh matron.
JasmineLLB
Rep:
?
Vacuuming?

HAHHAH **** you
Mzhax
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm going to start studying Law in September and I'm wondering if there are any books that would be interesting to gain a deeper "insight" into the field/study (i.e. a critique of the British legal system, books about analytical jurisprudence, etc.)

I'm planning so far on reading H Kennedy Eve was Framed: women and British justice and P Sands East West Street: on the origins of genocide and crimes against humanity.
Inspector calls😂😂😂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

Who do you think will be the next PM?