What topics and practical came up?
(Original post by No_Coke_Only_Ice)
So that was pretty good right?
Blizz Jr
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There was the one with Chloroplast DNA and Nuclear DNA. I put - Chloroplast DNA didn't have histones, it was circular and it is smaller than nuclear DNA
CopyThat
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oooh!.. This could be used as an indication for the A-Level paper 1... What things came up?
Shivaay
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
To be honest, if you're looking for an indication for this years paper 1 you'd be better placed looking at the June 2018 AS papers which are on the AQA website.

(Original post by CopyThat)
Oooh!.. This could be used as an indication for the A-Level paper 1... What things came up?
Blizz Jr
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Stuff about dna, a case study on cancer cells, Chloroplast. biurets test. asked about how dipeptides are similar and different. some dumb question about amino acids and them separating on a strip. required practical on effect of hydrogen peroxide on potato tubes. some question on conditions of the solution for the centrifuge; e.g. cold, buffered and isotonic
(Original post by CopyThat)
Blizz Jr
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No 6 marker

(Original post by gcsestudent26)
was there a 6 marker? if so what was it about?
TNOD333
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What did people write about how the enzymes active site leads to a high rate of reaction?
Kallum17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TNOD333)
What did people write about how the enzymes active site leads to a high rate of reaction?
Active site is a specific shape due to the enyzme being a protein with a specific 3D tertiary structure, meaning only a substrate with a similar shape will fit the active site and form enzyme-substrate complexes and therefore the enzyme ignore/not react with anything but the subrate and that increase the rate of reaction.
Last edited by Kallum17; 1 year ago
TNOD333
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kallum17)
Active site is a specific shape due to the enyzme being a protein with a specific 3D tertiary structure, meaning only a substrate with a similar shape will fit the active site and form enzyme-substrate complexes and therefore the enzyme ignore/react with anything but the subrate and that increase the rate of reaction.
Pretty much what I wrote too 👍
What did people get for the rate of reaction values in the table and how did their graph look like?
Kallum17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Pretty much what I wrote too 👍
What did people get for the rate of reaction values in the table and how did their graph look like?
I messed that up, didn't know what arbitrary units meant and didnt see the limit of 1 unit. I thought i could just do 10/time for each. Im gutted because ive lost marks due to dumb units.
TNOD333
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m not sure whether I got it right or not, but I did hydrogen peroxide concentration divided by the 10cm3 of oxygen value and plotted hydrogen peroxide concentration on X axis and rate of reaction of the Y axis and the curve was basically a standard positive correlation curve where, as the hydrogen peroxide concentration increases the rate of reaction increases. I rushed the curve due to limited time so it looked a little crappy and wishy washy

I messed that up, didn't know what arbitrary units meant and didnt see the limit of 1 unit. I thought i could just do 10/time for each. Im gutted because ive lost marks due to dumb units.
Kallum17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m not sure whether I got it right or not, but I did hydrogen peroxide concentration divided by the 10cm3 of oxygen value and plotted hydrogen peroxide concentration on X axis and rate of reaction of the Y axis and the curve was basically a standard positive correlation curve where, as the hydrogen peroxide concentration increases the rate of reaction increases. I rushed the curve due to limited time so it looked a little crappy and wishy washy
I think thats wrong, rate is volume of oxygen/ time it took. So 10/time for everything. Then you had to convert everything to arbitrary units as the maxium units was 1 (i didnt do this).
TNOD333
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah I think your right, I left the graph till near the end so I kind of rushed it and didn’t spend enough time on it
What you get for percentage error and the volume question
I got 7.5% and 7455 or something like that
I think thats wrong, rate is volume of oxygen/ time it took. So 10/time for everything. Then you had to convert everything to arbitrary units as the maxium units was 1 (i didnt do this).
Kallum17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah I think your right, I left the graph till near the end so I kind of rushed it and didn’t spend enough time on it
What you get for percentage error and the volume question
I got 7.5% and 7455 or something like that
1/15*100 + 0.5/5*100 = + or - 16.67 %
Blizz Jr
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah percentage uncertainty was 16.67% and the volume i got was 7455 or something
1/15*100 + 0.5/5*100 = + or - 16.67 %
Kallum17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Blizz Jr)
Yeah percentage uncertainty was 16.67% and the volume i got was 7455 or something
I ****ed that up , i thought the chloroplast was 17500 and that the mitochondria was 200 something cm3 anf that the question wanted the volume of the original solution. I didn't have time to go back and check for mistakes. Im really gutted.
The actual way would be 17500 * 0.441 = 7717.5 - 200 = 7517.5 ( i dont remember the actual volume of mitochondria)
TNOD333
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I ****ed that up , i thought the chloroplast was 17500 and that the mitochondria was 200 something cm3 anf that the question wanted the volume of the original solution. I didn't have time to go back and check for mistakes. Im really gutted.
The actual way would be 17500 * 0.441 = 7717.5 - 200 = 7517.5 ( i dont remember the actual volume of mitochondria)
17500/100*44.1 = 7717.5
7717.5 - 262.5 = 7455
epooper
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Does anyone have any idea what was going on with that’s amino acid filter paper question??? Absolutely no idea what it relates to ??
Kallum17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by epooper)
Does anyone have any idea what was going on with that’s amino acid filter paper question??? Absolutely no idea what it relates to ??
I said 2 of the 3 amino acids are polar and two of them were attracted the negative electrode and that they are slightly positive and that of the two one is more polar.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (29)
8.5%
Confident (44)
12.9%
Indifferent (51)
14.96%
Unsure (83)
24.34%
Worried (134)
39.3%

Watched Threads