Help with Personal Statement for KCL Law!! Watch

Brendan0686
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Okay just to start off with how I do History, Philosophy, and Business. I want to go to KCL to do Law and that is my main priority for University so it is at my best interest to mold my personal statement to what KCL find 'desirable':

"
Scholastic activities (Very Desirable): We look for applicants with an enthusiasm for scholastic activities in general such as reading, debating, theological interests etc. Participation will be valued but achievement in these areas of interest will also be recognised. We are also looking for applicants with an enthusiasm to study a law degree programme and have thought through their reasons for considering this subject option. The King’s degree programme focuses on the study of law as an intellectual discipline. Law may be regarded as a social science, a branch of ethics or as part of political philosophy, and all of these perspectives are explored within the learning environment of King's. It also can form the first major step towards qualifying for practice as a solicitor or barrister. Applicants outside of the UK should indicate why they particularly wish to study English law.

Community activities: We look for applicants who have participated as fully as possible in school, college or community life, making the most of the opportunities available to them and also demonstrated some experience of society beyond their immediate environment.

General: We look for applicants who have varied extra-curricular interests and enjoy active participation in areas such as sport, music and the arts in general. Participation will be valued but any achievement in extra-curricula activities will also be recognised. King’s aspires to recruit applicants who will continue with their personal interests and contribute to the vitality of the College community. Paid or voluntary work: Although we do not require applicants to have been in paid or voluntary employment, we welcome applications from those with any experience of legal work experience.
"

I was thinking mentioning about reading some law books (maybe sneak in a quote of any of the admissions staff's books) then I am in my school's debate club, I also am part of my parish's theology 'club'. I am not sure how to mix this in though. I also was selected to take part in the Holocaust Education Trust's Lessons from Auschwitz course which makes me an ambassador for the trust, ontop of that I received academic credit for it, could I mix this in and talk about ethics and the importance of law?

I have plenty of community activities with me volunteering in my local Barnardo's charity store. I also volunteered a lot within my local parish which I think I could mix in again with ethics? I do a lot of drama especially within school (I have completed my AS in Drama but I won't be continuing it to A2 though) which I think I could just mix in with saying I like to engage with other people and meet others? I am also going on a 2 week marine conservation trip to Tenerife which I think I could mix in and talk about environmental law and how it is a branch in which I want to go into for employment.

I can also put an emphasis on how I want to continue debating and drama interests outside school?

In general I have all the stuff that they ask for but I just don't know what to write in my personal statement haha. Can anyone help me please?!!
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Brendan0686)
Okay just to start off with how I do History, Philosophy, and Business. I want to go to KCL to do Law and that is my main priority for University so it is at my best interest to mold my personal statement to what KCL find 'desirable':

"
Scholastic activities (Very Desirable): We look for applicants with an enthusiasm for scholastic activities in general such as reading, debating, theological interests etc. Participation will be valued but achievement in these areas of interest will also be recognised. We are also looking for applicants with an enthusiasm to study a law degree programme and have thought through their reasons for considering this subject option. The King’s degree programme focuses on the study of law as an intellectual discipline. Law may be regarded as a social science, a branch of ethics or as part of political philosophy, and all of these perspectives are explored within the learning environment of King's. It also can form the first major step towards qualifying for practice as a solicitor or barrister. Applicants outside of the UK should indicate why they particularly wish to study English law.

Community activities: We look for applicants who have participated as fully as possible in school, college or community life, making the most of the opportunities available to them and also demonstrated some experience of society beyond their immediate environment.

General: We look for applicants who have varied extra-curricular interests and enjoy active participation in areas such as sport, music and the arts in general. Participation will be valued but any achievement in extra-curricula activities will also be recognised. King’s aspires to recruit applicants who will continue with their personal interests and contribute to the vitality of the College community. Paid or voluntary work: Although we do not require applicants to have been in paid or voluntary employment, we welcome applications from those with any experience of legal work experience.
"

I was thinking mentioning about reading some law books (maybe sneak in a quote of any of the admissions staff's books) then I am in my school's debate club, I also am part of my parish's theology 'club'. I am not sure how to mix this in though. I also was selected to take part in the Holocaust Education Trust's Lessons from Auschwitz course which makes me an ambassador for the trust, ontop of that I received academic credit for it, could I mix this in and talk about ethics and the importance of law?

I have plenty of community activities with me volunteering in my local Barnardo's charity store. I also volunteered a lot within my local parish which I think I could mix in again with ethics? I do a lot of drama especially within school (I have completed my AS in Drama but I won't be continuing it to A2 though) which I think I could just mix in with saying I like to engage with other people and meet others? I am also going on a 2 week marine conservation trip to Tenerife which I think I could mix in and talk about environmental law and how it is a branch in which I want to go into for employment.

I can also put an emphasis on how I want to continue debating and drama interests outside school?

In general I have all the stuff that they ask for but I just don't know what to write in my personal statement haha. Can anyone help me please?!!
i wouldn't specifically go for the admissions staff books as you'll need to show you looked at other books too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (40)
13.7%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (45)
15.41%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (54)
18.49%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (117)
40.07%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (16)
5.48%
No particular grades needed (20)
6.85%