Doing GCSE Latin at the age of 26 - stupid idea? Watch

Slowbro93
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So it's been a while since I've posted in this forum ...

I've been talking with my housemate and we were discussing (in quite a lot of detail) about taking a GCSE next year, and in particular, doing a GCSE in Latin. It's been something that we've been interested in for a while so we're currently doing our research.

Now I know that we need materials such as the specs, textbooks, etc. But I guess my questions are (given we're mostly going to self-teach):

1. How bad of an idea could this be?
2. How many hours should I dedicate to doing well in this GCSE? Given I'm working full time
3. What is the best way to monitor our progress?

Cheers

SB
Slowbro93
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
:ninja:
Classics_Teacher
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think that it's an excellent idea, though admittedly I am somewhat biased!Your best bet would be to have a look for exam centres near you that will accept private candidates. You could then check which exam boards they offer. There's a choice of three in the UK - Eduqas, OCR and Cambridge International.I would recommend the Latin to GCSE textbook series for learning the language.My only reservation would be doing it by yourselves, since there is the difficulty of preparing for the literature component of the exam. I would suggest looking into getting a tutor - either face-to-face or online. Tutorful is one such site that you might like to try.Feel free to PM me if I can be of further help and best of luck if you choose to go ahead with it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Liverpool
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (274)
31.53%
The paper was reasonable (423)
48.68%
Not feeling great about that exam... (105)
12.08%
It was TERRIBLE (67)
7.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed